9 Speed Downtube Shifters

I am looking for 9 speed indexed downtube shifters. I have found the
Dura-Ace at about $50 but almost no others. So I have two questions:

1) Will the DuraAce switch between indexed and friction mode?
2) Are there any cheaper ones out there that I can't find? (They need
to be able to go into friction mode, both front and rear).

Thanks,
Tom

[email protected] wrote:
> I am looking for 9 speed indexed downtube shifters. I have found the
> Dura-Ace at about $50 but almost no others. So I have two questions:
>
> 1) Will the DuraAce switch between indexed and friction mode?
> 2) Are there any cheaper ones out there that I can't find? (They need
> to be able to go into friction mode, both front and rear).
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

1) Yes: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=LD0702
2) Cheaper *and* 9-speed index/friction compatible? Not that I could
find in a quick scan of the usual suspects. Friction-only? I found some
Falcon levers at $11.95.

Jeff

I don't think you'll find anything BUT D-A that will shift 9s indexed.
They work fine, are finished nicely, and switch easily. On the other
hand, if all you want is friction mode, you can pick up some older 7-
or 8-speed Shimano levers and put them into friction mode.

I tried using Suntour shifters on my 9s bike and found that the pull
felt wrong, but your mileage may vary.

[email protected] wrote:
> I am looking for 9 speed indexed downtube shifters. I have found the
> Dura-Ace at about $50 but almost no others. So I have two questions:
>
> 1) Will the DuraAce switch between indexed and friction mode?

yes

> 2) Are there any cheaper ones out there that I can't find? (They need
> to be able to go into friction mode, both front and rear).

Not for shimano and 9s. When shimano went to 9s, DA is the only ones
they ever produced. Same for 10s..DA only.

Plenty of NOS friction only shifters tho. Campagnolo ones abound. Big
barrell, small barrell, C-Record, Chorus, Super/Nuovo Record, etc.

> Thanks,
> Tom

Thanks for all the responses. It's nice having this kind of expertise
in the group.

Tom