9 Speed front derailleur on 8 speed system

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Derk Drukker

Hi!

I am busy working on a bike and was forced to buy a new front derailleur.

I can't get it right: it's like the cage of the derailleur is situated too far from the bike. In
other words: the chain is touching the inside plate(?) of the derailleur cage. Even with the cable
loose and the chain on the biggest cog and the smallest blade. And yes, I did adjust the set screw
to the limit. Is this because it's a 9 speed part that I use on a 8 speed system?

What can I do to correct this?

TIA! Derk

d drucker-<< In other words: the chain is touching the inside plate(?) of the derailleur cage. Even
with the cable loose and the chain on the biggest cog and the smallest blade. And yes, I did adjust
the set screw to the limit. << Is this because it's a 9 speed part that I use on a 8 speed system?

If the seat tube is oversized, larger than 28.6mm, then you may have the fder hit the seattube
before you get chain clearance in biggest cog and small ring.

Possible to get a wee bit longer BB spindle? If not, some gentle and judicious bending of the fder
cage may help, or rotating the cageclockwise to move the cage away from the chain.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 16:47:22 +0200, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

GRAZIE!

"Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi!
>
> I am busy working on a bike and was forced to buy a new front derailleur.
>
> I can't get it right: it's like the cage of the derailleur is situated too far from the bike. In
> other words: the chain is touching the inside plate(?) of the derailleur cage. Even with the cable
> loose and the chain on the biggest cog and the smallest blade. And yes, I did adjust the set screw
> to the limit. Is this because it's a 9 speed part that I use on a 8 speed system?
>

What kind of bike? What kind of front changer? In some cases (Kestrel Talon) the chain line needs to
be farther out than normal with an Ultegra changer because the changer's arms hit the frame tab
before low gear. This is not the only example of that sort of thing.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:43:10 +0200, A Muzi wrote:

> What kind of bike?
Merckx Alu Mega, Shimano 105 triple 8 speed.

What kind of front changer? Triple Shimano 9 speed.

I have the idea that my bike shop put in a bracket that is too short.

Greets, Derk

Derk Drukker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi!
>
> I am busy working on a bike and was forced to buy a new front derailleur.
>
cut
> Is this because it's a 9 speed part that I use on a 8 speed system?
>
I have a follow-up question related to this query.

In general what is the difference between 9-speed front derailleurs and others?

I ask because I have an old bike on which the Fder is nearly worn out and I have seen a very cheap
Campagnolo Mirage Fder stated to be "8/9-speed".

My bike is 10 speed (altogether, not at the back!) with Campagnolo Rally (the earlier version) rear
derailleur (indicating the age of this particular machine). I thought it would be nice to have a
Campagnolo front derailleur to match.

Is this likely to work or are there obvious problems? (Cogs are 52/42 front and 14-18 back).

awebster-<< In general what is the difference between 9-speed front derailleurs and others?

Generally nothing-this gents problem wasn't 8s or 9s...but frameset design and perhaps BB
spindle length-

<< I ask because I have an old bike on which the Fder is nearly worn out and I have seen a very
cheap Campagnolo Mirage Fder stated to be "8/9-speed".

Put it on, it will work fine and dandy-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> awebster-<< In general what is the difference between 9-speed front derailleurs and others?
>
> Generally nothing-this gents problem wasn't 8s or 9s...but frameset design and perhaps BB
> spindle length-
>
>
> << I ask because I have an old bike on which the Fder is nearly worn out and I have seen a very
> cheap Campagnolo Mirage Fder stated to be "8/9-speed".
>
> Put it on, it will work fine and dandy-
>

Thanks for this advice. It certainly looks like £4.99 well spent.

Presumably the 7/8/9 speed rating is pure maketing?

A a matter of interest is the same true of chainwheels? To the naked eye and steel rule the rings on
all my bikes look much the same (apart from ramps/bumps etc) but on one bike (Shimano Deore) the
rings are marked "9-speed" on another (SR-Suntour) "8-speed", while others are mute (e.g. the Sakae
chainset on the bike mentioned above). Is there any difference to accomodate thinner chains or are
all essentially the same?

"Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:43:10 +0200, A Muzi wrote:
>
> > What kind of bike?
> Merckx Alu Mega, Shimano 105 triple 8 speed.
>
> What kind of front changer? Triple Shimano 9 speed.
>
> I have the idea that my bike shop put in a bracket that is too short.

Agree. I think you are on to it. Shimano fronts on big tube frames often need wider chainline

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.