9 speed or 10 speed cluster?

In article
<[email protected]
egroups.com>,
Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 4:46 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]
> > egroups.com>,
> >  Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Can someone loan Michael a copy of This Is Spinal Tap, so he'll get
> > > Brad's joke?

> > Did you look at the signature quotation?

> The same way you read subject lines.

You chose to ignore the evidence before your eyes. The
material is there. Your snide imputation that I missed
the joke is cooked. The joke is on you.

--
Michael Press

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 18:04:40 -0800 (PST), Chalo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>If 9-speed is what you've got and it works, then sure, why not? But
>when starting from scratch and buying everything you need, it makes
>good sense from a value standpoint to use 7-speed instead of 8-, 9- or
>10-speed equipment.

I'd actually go for 9s over 7s, myself (and did). When you stay with
Shimano, you're pretty much forced into that, even. I definitely don't
want a freewheel hub at my weight (any more than you do), since I've bent
a bit more than my share of axles, and Shimano-7 freehub cogsets aren't
all that easy to get hold of any more here, especially in the variety of
ranges available in 9.

I currently run an ultegra9 11-23 in rear, myself, with a Deore 48/36/26
front. Used to have a Deore9 11-34 rear, but I prefer the closer ratios
and given that I live in FlatLand I don't miss the little bit of extra
range I give up in the granny -- I don't use the granny much at all to
start with. Wheel's a basic-rim 559-47 on an XT40 hub.

Jasper

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 04:57:46 -0800 (PST), Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Dec 17, 8:45 pm, Steve Gravrock <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2007-12-18, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > If 9-speed is what you've got and it works, then sure, why not? But
>> > when starting from scratch and buying everything you need, it makes
>> > good sense from a value standpoint to use 7-speed instead of 8-, 9- or
>> > 10-speed equipment.

>> Maybe, maybe not. From what I can see, the fly in the ointment of 7
>> speed is shifter availability. Shimano has dropped 7 speed from all but
>> its bottom of the line mountain bike group, and with the off-brand
>> department store level makes like Falcon moving into 8 speed I doubt
>> that 7 speed Tourney will be around too much longer. As far as I can
>> tell *nobody* still makes 7 speed shifters for drop bar bikes.

>IME, 8 speed shifters will shift 7 speed seamlessly.

For Shimano, http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946
indicates that you're .2 mm off per sprocket. That's a maximum of .7 mm,
if centered properly, on a 7-sp cluster, which is well within the float.
You *may* have slightly more fiddly adjustment, but that's unlikely to be
noticeable.

Jasper

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 07:01:28 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Dec 21, 4:46 am, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

>9 speed chains are narrower than 7-8 speed chains. Front and rear
>derailleurs don't care if its 7-8-9-10 speeds. I'm using a Shimano 9
>speed rear derailleur to shift a 7 speed and an 8 speed front
>derailleur to shift a 7 speed. Freehub body for Shimano 7 speed is
>shorter than Shimano 8-9.

But you can use a 7s cassette on an 8/9 freehub with a 4.5mm spacer.

>I believe Shimano 10 freehub is also a tiny
>bit longer than Shimano 8-9.

The Dura Ace 7800 freehub body is aluminum and has higher splines than the
regular freehubs. This means it will only fit S10 cassettes, which have
higher notches, but not S7-9 cassettes.

Newer Dura Ace 7850 hubs have a Titanium freehub body which fits all
Shimano cassettes, 7-with-spacer, 8/9/10.

All S10 cassettes will fit without problems on S8/9/10 bodies.

I seem to remember something about a 1mm spacer provided with S10
cassettes which had to be installed or not depending on hub -- but I
actually seem to remember that it may be that the 7800 freehub is (in
addition to the spline height) a mm *shorter* than a regular 8/9/10 body.

Jasper

> Perhaps it depends how much pressure you are under to stay in the
> bunch.
> I find I need the advantage of closer ratios and have not found
> dishing an issue as I wear the rim before the spokes become an issue.
> cheers
> Tommy

Exactly. If I want to keep up with the guys in my usual group (who
are younger, stronger and faster than I am) I need all ten speeds on
my Campy equipped Six-13.

On the other hand, I could go across the parking lot and join another
group where I could keep up or lead on my 27-pound, steel framed, Trek
touring bike even if it were cut back to the original five speeds.

If I were as young and strong as some in the first group, I could
probably do fine on single. What you want or need is defined, to a
great extent, by what you are trying to accomplish, where you ride,
with whom you ride etc. Obviously, what you can afford to spend is
also a factor.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:29:33 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> If 9-speed is what you've got and it works, then sure, why not? But
>>> when starting from scratch and buying everything you need, it makes
>>> good sense from a value standpoint to use 7-speed instead of 8-, 9- or
>>> 10-speed equipment.

>Mark wrote:
>> In some parts of the world it is almost impossible to get 7 speed
>> spares any more (except cassettes). I could not get a front mech for
>> my 7 speed. When my rear mech needs replacing I don't know what I will
>> do.

>You've been misinformed.
>
>Seven cassettes and freewheels, with both double and triple front
>changers, are current to 2008 bicycles.

Then explain why I cannot buy spares.

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:23:41 +0000, Mark
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:29:33 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
>wrote:

>>Mark wrote:
>>> In some parts of the world it is almost impossible to get 7 speed
>>> spares any more (except cassettes). I could not get a front mech for
>>> my 7 speed. When my rear mech needs replacing I don't know what I will
>>> do.

>>You've been misinformed.
>>
>>Seven cassettes and freewheels, with both double and triple front
>>changers, are current to 2008 bicycles.

>Then explain why I cannot buy spares.

Evidently you are not looking in the right places. Are you going to
more than one shop? There are a couple right here that can get spares
if that's what you want. Need the number????

On Jan 2, 1:23 am, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:29:33 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> >Mark wrote:
> >> In some parts of the world it is almost impossible to get 7 speed
> >> spares any more (except cassettes).  I could not get a front mech for
> >> my 7 speed. When my rear mech needs replacing I don't know what I will
> >> do.

> >You've been misinformed.

> >Seven cassettes and freewheels, with both double and triple front
> >changers, are current to 2008 bicycles.

> Then explain why I cannot buy spares.

You can - they're just not labelled as "7-speed" anymore. There is
_no_ difference between 7 and 8-speed derailleurs designed for the
same chainring sizes and tooth capacities. 8-speed chain is 7 speed
chain was Ultra-6 chain, and it works dandy on 5-speeds, too. Shifters
and cassettes are the only 7-speed specific parts.

A prior example of an "8-speed" FD not working on a 7-speed system was
a red herring. They tried to use a 44T max FD on a larger chainring.
Not an 8 vs. 7 issue at all.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:29:33 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
>wrote:

>>Mark wrote:
>>> In some parts of the world it is almost impossible to get 7 speed
>>> spares any more (except cassettes). I could not get a front mech for
>>> my 7 speed. When my rear mech needs replacing I don't know what I will
>>> do.

>>You've been misinformed.
>>
>>Seven cassettes and freewheels, with both double and triple front
>>changers, are current to 2008 bicycles.

>Then explain why I cannot buy spares.

Dear Mark,

They're often not labeled or advertised as such, or else are in
catalogues like these:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=271686558457&c=Components&sc=Derailleurs

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...&sc=Cassettes-and-Freewheels&tc=Cassette-Sets

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Derailleur&sc=Complete Front&id=726936030531

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Derailleur&sc=Complete Rear&id=726936030531

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Freewheel&sc=Complete Freewheels&tc=7 Speed&id=726936030531

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Cassette&sc=Complete Shimano&id=726936030531

http://harriscyclery.net/itemlist.cfm?category=107

http://harriscyclery.net/itemlist.cfm?category=130

http://harriscyclery.net/itemlist.cfm?category=114

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Mark wrote:
> Then explain why I cannot buy spares.

Can't explain but they are high volume items in and out of here! Every
major and minor parts distributor carries several brands in both.

Freewheels $29.95 up, cassettes $29.95 up. How many do you need and will
you require seven chain ($14.95 with snap link) with them?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 04:05:41 -0600, "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:23:41 +0000, Mark
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>You've been misinformed.
>>>
>>>Seven cassettes and freewheels, with both double and triple front
>>>changers, are current to 2008 bicycles.

>>Then explain why I cannot buy spares.

>Evidently you are not looking in the right places. Are you going to
>more than one shop? There are a couple right here that can get spares
>if that's what you want. Need the number????

I have looked in local shops and on the internet. I can get 7 speed
cassettes but not a front mech that properly fits my bike. Shimano no
longer import these into the UK AFAIK.

Because of the frame I need a top swing mech which rules out most and
the tooth difference between the chainrings is smaller than usual so
all the mechs I have tried foul the smallest ring. The only thing I
can think of doing is to mount the mech much too high, but that means
a poor change and the chain regularly comes off.

I think nebraska is a bit far for me to go (several thousand miles).
;-)

On Jan 3, 4:13 am, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 04:05:41 -0600, "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:23:41 +0000, Mark
> ><[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Then explain why I cannot buy spares.

> >Evidently you are not looking in the right places.  Are you going to
> >more than one shop?  There are a couple right here that can get spares
> >if that's what you want.  Need the number????

> I have looked in local shops and on the internet.  I can get 7 speed
> cassettes but not a front mech that properly fits my bike. Shimano no
> longer import these into the UK AFAIK.
>
> Because of the frame I need a top swing mech which rules out most and
> the tooth difference between the chainrings is smaller than usual so
> all the mechs I have tried foul the smallest ring.  The only thing I
> can think of doing is to mount the mech much too high, but that means
> a poor change and the chain regularly comes off.

Is there something similar to the QBP catalog in the UK? Shimano
Alievio top-swing front deraillers are available through them, and
therefore almost any North American bike shop.

Given typical UK pricing, it might be worth it to purchase online from
a US supplier such as Harris and pay the shipping.

On Jan 3, 1:13 am, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 04:05:41 -0600, "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:23:41 +0000, Mark
> ><[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Then explain why I cannot buy spares.

> >Evidently you are not looking in the right places.  Are you going to
> >more than one shop?  There are a couple right here that can get spares
> >if that's what you want.  Need the number????

> I have looked in local shops and on the internet.  I can get 7 speed
> cassettes but not a front mech that properly fits my bike. Shimano no
> longer import these into the UK AFAIK.
>
> Because of the frame I need a top swing mech which rules out most and
> the tooth difference between the chainrings is smaller than usual so
> all the mechs I have tried foul the smallest ring.  The only thing I
> can think of doing is to mount the mech much too high, but that means
> a poor change and the chain regularly comes off.
>
> I think nebraska is a bit far for me to go (several thousand miles).
> ;-)
>
> M- Hide quoted text -

What is your actual chainring setup in the front? If you're using
nonstandard combos, you can expect problems with most modern FDs,
which have ramps for specific transitions. Again, _nothing_ to do with
8 vs. 7.

If it's like 44-38-22 or something weird like that, mount the FD to
serve the middle ring, since that's what the ramp is designed around.
It may LOOK too high, but that's your own hang-up. If the chain drags
on the small/small combo, that's another endorsement for staying out
of the small/small.

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:27:36 -0800 (PST), Brian Huntley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jan 3, 4:13 am, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 04:05:41 -0600, "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Evidently you are not looking in the right places.  Are you going to
>> >more than one shop?  There are a couple right here that can get spares
>> >if that's what you want.  Need the number????

>> I have looked in local shops and on the internet.  I can get 7 speed
>> cassettes but not a front mech that properly fits my bike. Shimano no
>> longer import these into the UK AFAIK.
>>
>> Because of the frame I need a top swing mech which rules out most and
>> the tooth difference between the chainrings is smaller than usual so
>> all the mechs I have tried foul the smallest ring.  The only thing I
>> can think of doing is to mount the mech much too high, but that means
>> a poor change and the chain regularly comes off.

>Is there something similar to the QBP catalog in the UK? Shimano
>Alievio top-swing front deraillers are available through them, and
>therefore almost any North American bike shop.

I've never heard of them and I can't find a UK web-site so I guess
that they don't trade here.

>Given typical UK pricing, it might be worth it to purchase online from
>a US supplier such as Harris and pay the shipping.

I guess about £10 for the part and £50 for shipping!

M.

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:39:25 -0800 (PST), Hank <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Jan 3, 1:13 am, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 04:05:41 -0600, "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Evidently you are not looking in the right places.  Are you going to
>> >more than one shop?  There are a couple right here that can get spares
>> >if that's what you want.  Need the number????

>> I have looked in local shops and on the internet.  I can get 7 speed
>> cassettes but not a front mech that properly fits my bike. Shimano no
>> longer import these into the UK AFAIK.
>>
>> Because of the frame I need a top swing mech which rules out most and
>> the tooth difference between the chainrings is smaller than usual so
>> all the mechs I have tried foul the smallest ring.  The only thing I
>> can think of doing is to mount the mech much too high, but that means
>> a poor change and the chain regularly comes off.
>>
>> I think nebraska is a bit far for me to go (several thousand miles).
>> ;-)
>>
>> M- Hide quoted text -

>What is your actual chainring setup in the front? If you're using
>nonstandard combos, you can expect problems with most modern FDs,
>which have ramps for specific transitions. Again, _nothing_ to do with
>8 vs. 7.
>
>If it's like 44-38-22 or something weird like that, mount the FD to
>serve the middle ring, since that's what the ramp is designed around.
>It may LOOK too high, but that's your own hang-up. If the chain drags
>on the small/small combo, that's another endorsement for staying out
>of the small/small.

From memory it's 42, 36, 22 and is what was on the bike when I bought
it new. I have mounted it as low as possible to avoid fouling the
smallest ring, but the chain jumps off the top ring even though the
cage almost touches the outside of the chain.

M.

On Jan 3, 9:09 am, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:39:25 -0800 (PST), Hank <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >On Jan 3, 1:13 am, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I have looked in local shops and on the internet.  I can get 7 speed
> >> cassettes but not a front mech that properly fits my bike. Shimano no
> >> longer import these into the UK AFAIK.

> >> Because of the frame I need a top swing mech which rules out most and
> >> the tooth difference between the chainrings is smaller than usual so
> >> all the mechs I have tried foul the smallest ring.  The only thing I
> >> can think of doing is to mount the mech much too high, but that means
> >> a poor change and the chain regularly comes off.

> >> I think nebraska is a bit far for me to go (several thousand miles).
> >> ;-)

> >> M- Hide quoted text -

> >What is your actual chainring setup in the front? If you're using
> >nonstandard combos, you can expect problems with most modern FDs,
> >which have ramps for specific transitions. Again, _nothing_ to do with
> >8 vs. 7.

> >If it's like 44-38-22 or something weird like that, mount the FD to
> >serve the middle ring, since that's what the ramp is designed around.
> >It may LOOK too high, but that's your own hang-up. If the chain drags
> >on the small/small combo, that's another endorsement for staying out
> >of the small/small.

> From memory it's 42, 36, 22 and is what was on the bike when I bought
> it new.  I have mounted it as low as possible to avoid fouling the
> smallest ring, but the chain jumps off the top ring even though the
> cage almost touches the outside of the chain.
>
> M.- Hide quoted text -

Get a 32T middle ring. That should solve your problems and shouldn't
cost more than 20 quid.

I just looked at http://sjscycles.com and they have a huge selection
in every bolt circle imaginable.