9-speed rear sprocket set up 12/26 or 12/23

sunfire67

Feb 21, 2004
Just looking for some suggestions on the rear sprocket set up, the bike I am looking at buying has a 12/26 set up. One of my friends suggested that i try to get them to change it to a 12/23 set up. How important is this and will a reallt notice a difference.

Thanks

sunfire67 said:
Just looking for some suggestions on the rear sprocket set up, the bike I am looking at buying has a 12/26 set up. One of my friends suggested that i try to get them to change it to a 12/23 set up. How important is this and will a reallt notice a difference.

Thanks

There's a huge difference between a 23 and a 26 tooth cog, but If you're not in a hilly area, and you have reasonable fitness, you might not need it.

Most guys I know that have good fitness never have more than a 23, and a lot have an 11 to 21; but we don't have mountains.

The good thing about cassettes is that it's not too much trouble to change the cogs, so they might let you switch after a bit.

Unfortunately, this is probably one of things that you can't really judge until you've been riding around for a little while

If you're in a hilly area, the 26 definately comes in handy. I do a lot of climbing and replaced the 12/23 with a 12/27, and I'm glad I did.

Rockgrunt said:
If you're in a hilly area, the 26 definately comes in handy. I do a lot of climbing and replaced the 12/23 with a 12/27, and I'm glad I did.

Same here. I'm situated in such a way that hills and mountains are all over the place so I have to change my cassettes from a 12-23 to a 12-27. Also upgraded my cranks to an FSA c/f compact pro kit and so now, there's no mountain steep enough to get me!!! :D

sunfire67 said:

Thanks
Your buddy probably has a 12/30 on the rear and just wants to drop you on the hills like he's Lance Armstrong. Watch out for buddies like that, I have a few.