9 Speed to 10 Speed Dura Ace compatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cyclepath, Oct 30, 2005.

1. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

I like the feel of the 10 Speed DA 7800 Shifters but do not want to upgrade all my 9 speed 7700 components. I was told that I need to change to the 10 speed shifters, cassette and chain in order to use the 7800 shifters. The front and rear 9speed 7700 derailleur will work fine with the 7800 shifters, cassette and chain. I'm also using a FSA Superlight crankset which is 9/10 speed compatible. Has anyone tried this and can confirm this?

Thanks.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

ya got told right.

3. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

You'll also want to make sure that your rear hub can accomodate the 10-speed cassette.

4. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I'm still happy with 9 speed, and if I have to build up a new bike I think I would still do 9 speed if I can get good prices. Like 10 speed 105 stuff costs more than 9 speed Ultegra.

I don't like the high prices of all the new 10 speed Shimano stuff. Like I don't want to pay $430 for Dura Ace 10 Shifters.

Maybe the only way I'm gonna get 10 speed stuff is if I buy a new bike. My 4 road bikes are all 9 speed and I like interchanging wheels sometimes.

5. leestevens

leestevens New Member

nine an dten speed hubs are the same, the ten speed cassette can be changed over onto any nine speed wheel.:)

6. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

I was thinking of doing what Cyclepath is planning on, to convert from Dura-Ace 9sp (7700) to 10sp (7800) with minimal parts upgrades.

So to clarify, I'll need to upgrade to the following?

10sp STI shifters
    10sp chain
    10sp cassette

What about the rear derailleur? According to some of the posts, the 9sp rear derailleur will work with 10sp? Huh? What about the extra 'click' for the 10th sprocket?

Also according to a previous post, the 10sp cassette will fit on my current rear hub? My current rear hub being a '03 Mavic Ksyrium Elite with 9sp Dura-Ace cassette.

Thanks in advance for clarifying. Maybe I will upgrade to 10sp if it's this straight-forward.....

T72

7. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

Indexing (i.e. the 10th click) is performed by the shifters, not the derailleur. The cable pull is the same.

You may need a spacer for the 10-speed cassette to fit the 9-speed hub. I know that many wheelsets require about a 1mm spacer to handle the slightly narrower profile of the 10-speed.

I have had some friends complain about sloppy front shifting using the wider caged 9-speed front derailleur, but others that maintain that they see no degradation in performance.