9 Speed Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve + Laura, May 13, 2003.

  1. Hi Everyone, I recently installed an STX crank on my mountain bike, and I'd like to convert from the
    7 speed freewheel to a 9 speed setup (probably the LX kit). Do I need to get 9 speed chain rings for
    the STX crank, or is it ok like it is? It shifts just fine in front now, but I don't know how the
    narrower chain will impact things.

    Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, Steve.

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    It'll be fine. I just got back from a ride with my 7 year old STX crank with original chainrings on
    a 9 speed setup.

    "Steve + Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Everyone, I recently installed an STX crank on my mountain bike, and I'd like to convert from
    > the 7 speed freewheel to a 9 speed setup (probably the LX kit). Do I need to get 9 speed chain
    > rings for the STX crank, or is it ok like it is? It shifts just fine in front now, but I don't
    > know how the narrower chain will impact things.
    >
    > Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Steve.

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Steve + Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Everyone, I recently installed an STX crank on my mountain bike, and
    I'd like to
    > convert from the 7 speed freewheel to a 9 speed setup
    (probably the LX
    > kit). Do I need to get 9 speed chain rings for the STX
    crank, or is it
    > ok like it is? It shifts just fine in front now, but I
    don't know how
    > the narrower chain will impact things.
    >
    > Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Steve.

    My wife's bike is currently set up with a 46-36-26 Shimano RSX crankset - nominally "seven"
    speed/steel rings - with Shimano 105 nine speed STI/cassette/chain - with no problems