90 days till marathon

3

32 Degrees

Guest
Getting ready to roll now... only 90 days left till Bayshore Marathon. I'm registering tomorrow.

I did my first two runs this week... a 4 miler (30 min) and a 7 miler today (54min) Goals for the 13
weeks... 20, 25, 30, 30, 40, 40, 40, 45, 50, 50, 55, 40, 40 = mileage weeks....

Long runs of 18-20 miles in my 50miles/week period... hopefully close to race pace. Goal = sub 3:00
hours and qualify for Boston....

Any hints on speedwork? Should I do mile repeats? How many? How fast? Should I do any tune up races?
distances?

feedback please. TIA

Jeff K

> Getting ready to roll now... only 90 days left till Bayshore Marathon. I'm registering tomorrow.
>
> I did my first two runs this week... a 4 miler (30 min) and a 7 miler today (54min) Goals for the
> 13 weeks... 20, 25, 30, 30, 40, 40, 40, 45, 50, 50, 55, 40, 40 = mileage weeks....

Qay too fast of ramp up. Hope you have good health insurance.

"rick++" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Getting ready to roll now... only 90 days left till Bayshore Marathon. I'm registering tomorrow.
> >
> > I did my first two runs this week... a 4 miler (30 min) and a 7 miler
today
> > (54min) Goals for the 13 weeks... 20, 25, 30, 30, 40, 40, 40, 45, 50, 50, 55, 40, 40 = mileage
> > weeks....
>
> Qay too fast of ramp up. Hope you have good health insurance.

I started running seriously in September, and was probably a similar pace to what you've just done
(7miles in 54). I'm aiming at an April marathon though may have to postpone to June due to treading
awkwardly in a pothole. Anyway, my peak mileage has so far reached 71K, though I did hit 90K in a 7
day period - following which I took two days off because ****les were becoming serious ****les. I'd
been running for about 20 weeks at that point.

55 miles (88K) in 11 weeks strikes me as very ambitious, and I'm not known for following guidelines.
But if you want to run a marathon in 90 days time, then I'd suggest (and this is based entirely on
my experience, and should be treated with the appropriate amount of respect :) )

a) Finding a different marathon that gives you more time
b) If you really want to do this marathon, then figure out a training plan based on the sessions you
need to get in, and don't get hung up on weekly mileage. In this case, your long run is likely to
be the most important thing - so work out how to ramp up to a 20 miler. From a baseline of a
7mile run, you should be able to do that in 10 weeks, at the expense of any speed work. Assuming
you're about my age, and respond to training in the same way I do, which is a hell of an
assumption.
c) Train intelligently. Back off when you feel serious ****les developing, and don't try to catch up
the miles. You'll probably train better anyway because you'll be more rested.
d) You want a bigger taper than that at the end, unless that last 40 miles includes the race.
e) Try and get a race in beforehand so you know how they work. A mass-participation race is a bit
different, but it'd be better to be stuck in the toilet queue when the start gun goes on your
trial race rather than the marathon.

When I was 21 I ran a marathon off a few runs of 10 miles and not a whole lot else. I can still
remember how painful the last third was, and it put me off running for 8 years. I now intend to make
sure that when I run this marathon I'm ready for it. If you want you can run a marathon in 90 days
time, but I'll bet you wish you hadn't.

Ben

In article <[email protected]>,
32 degrees <[email protected]> wrote:
>Goals for the 13 weeks... 20, 25, 30, 30, 40, 40, 40, 45, 50, 50, 55, 40, 40 = mileage weeks....
>
>Long runs of 18-20 miles in my 50miles/week period... hopefully close to race pace. Goal = sub 3:00
>hours and qualify for Boston....
>
>Any hints on speedwork? Should I do mile repeats? How many? How fast? Should I do any tune up
>races? distances?

"Advanced marathoning" has a 12 week schedule peaking at 55 miles/week. You could do worse than
using it as a model. It starts at 35 miles/week, though.

My current "favourite" is 1k repeats with 90 seconds rest. If you want to go sub-3 you should be
looking to do them under 3:45 and 4-10 repeats.

I reckon a half 5-6 weeks out and a 10k 2-3 weeks out would be ideal.

Andrew Taylor

very good insurance for sure. been @ this game for a while and my legs are completely rested up from
a long winter of skiing. shouldn't be a problem. May cut back on the upper 55mpw though...

JK

[email protected] (rick++) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > I did my first two runs this week... a 4 miler (30 min) and a 7 miler today (54min) Goals for
> > the 13 weeks... 20, 25, 30, 30, 40, 40, 40, 45, 50, 50, 55, 40, 40 = mileage weeks....

> Qay too fast of ramp up. Hope you have good health insurance.

The OP failed to mention that he isn´t starting from scratch, he is "merely" switching from XC
skiing to running:)

While the transition is never without a certain risk of injury and it could´ve been beneficial to
maintain two weekly running sesssion throughout the winter, I wouldn´t be unduly worried.

Actually, since a training program, to be useful, should have a progressively increasing load, it
could be that the first weeks will be too easy (unless his XC season finishes with long races from
which he needs to recover).

If it weren´t for the need to get some "leg specific" training, the marathon could come
sooner, I think.

Anders

You got it Anders... the first few weeks, will be mixed with skiing... maybe even a race (42km
marathon - freestyle).

I've made this switchover, without injury, now for 16 years... even ran a sub 27 minute 5 mile (8km)
race within one month of the ski season switchover !

Even though I have a weekly progression of mileage that increases... my overall weekly total HOURS
will stay constant with my combination of skiing, running, cycling, weights...

JK