+90 minute Crits

crazyb1

Feb 29, 2012
So I am going to be doing a 90 minute cat 4/5 race this weekend and i was wondering would the average pace be slightly lower than usual and be more like a road race? Also, should i take part in a break away and hopefully stay away, this is only my 3rd race this season and im just trying to figure out what im going to do. What do you people do during races like these?

The pace is dictated by the field, so who knows. You can't chase everything, but you don't want to miss the big move either. Try to watch others in the field to get a sense of how willing other people/teams are to bring back a break. If there are teams that seem real eager to pull everything back hang tight for the sprint. If a teammate of one or multiple active teams are in a break, especially late in the race that is where you need to be. If you are not a good sprinter and need a break to win try something late in the race when people are not quite as fresh. A good move to go solo is right at the start of the last lap, it is to far out for you to be a leadout, but close enough that no one wants to burn a match before the sprint. You have to have the legs and mental fortitude to pull the best minute effort of you life though or you will get swallowed up right before the finish