90 watts in 22 weeks

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Freddy Merxury, Sep 27, 2012.

1. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I don't know who is making products with it, but there is an amazing material that was tested on an Everest expedition a few years ago. It's thin and light and is amazing at retaining body heat in cold weather. If anything, the climbers who tested it on the Everest climb overheated. Here's an article on that experiment: http://gearjunkie.com/hanesbrands-champion-super-suit-outerwear.

You might want to see if anybody is making socks out of this amazing material. The only company I am aware of is a small outfit by the name of Shiver Shield that specializes in apparel for hunters: http://www.shivershield.com/. Their website says they make insoles, but not socks. The insoles might be worth a try because they're only $25.

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

3. Conan

Conan New Member

Wow, 19F/-7C a mild winter...! I think of a mild winter as being days of 19C

4. frost

frost New Member

Rigth, I'd be greatful if folks keep such notions strictly to themselves and people living in similar climates /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

5. Conan

Conan New Member

Yes. totally insensitive of me. If it makes you feel better, I think I may have to wear arm warmers this weekend as it may be below 20 at 6:00am. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

6. BrianMacDonald

BrianMacDonald New Member

Columbia sportswear also makes base layers that have that foil-like material on the inside. I have a winter jacket that has that same material on the inside and it is the warmest winter coat I have ever owned.

7. Freddy Merxury

Freddy Merxury New Member

Today got 3 hours in at 206w avg. Cold and super windy, but felt really good. So happy with the effort and feeling good about my training even though I haven't got to do a threshold test in a while.

8. Freddy Merxury

The last hour was at 240w. The last 3 minutes leading out the City limit sprint 380w. Pretty happy with the strong numbers at the end of a long, tough, windy, cold, ride.

9. BrianMacDonald

Columbia makes jacket liners and base layers with that material. I have a winter jacket with that foil-like material as a liner and it is the warmest jacket I have ever owned.

10. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

That's great. I went on the Columbia website and could not figure out a way to find which products include aerogel. Do they use a different name for the technology? What model jacket do you have that uses aerogel?

11. BrianMacDonald

Have a look at this link, the path to it is mens->baselayer->tops->men's extreme baselayer fleece longsleve 1/2 zip. They might call it Omni-Heat thermal reflective lining. But I could also not find a list of products that contain it.

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Extreme-Fleece-Long-Sleeve-1/2-Zip/AM6496,default,pd.html

If you look at the multiple views under the main view you will see an inside out view of the baselayer that clearly shows the foil-like material.

I have one of the interchange jackets. These jackets have a shell and a zip out down liner. The liner has this material on the inside. I have worn just the liner outside in subfreezing weather and been fine. The shell and the jacket in combination are too much for anything above single digits (F) and I would not call myself necessarily warm bodied.

12. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Cool. I love that it is available as a lining. With winter coming on, I think I'll order one and check it out on the coldest day of the winter. Thanks for the link. BTW, I also discovered that a small company in NJ has developed insoles and some thin wrist or ankle wraps from aerogel. The neat thing about the insoles is that apparently they work in cold or hot temps. That's amazing. Here's the link to an article about their stuff:
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/general/1112508199/originals_by_weber_announces_new_all_weather_insoles_using_nasas/

13. gudujarlson

gudujarlson New Member

I ran across these aerogel insoles made by a company in my area.

http://45nrth.com/products/category/softgoods

I didn't buy the insoles, but I did pickup a pair of xerxes studded tires at the bike shop.

http://45nrth.com/products/category/tires

I'll see how they ride tomorrow morning.

They have some pretty cool looking boots too, but my Keen winter boots have solved my cold feet problem for the moment.

I have never heard of 45nrth until I was handed a tire made by them today.

14. Bigpikle

Bigpikle New Member

Aerogel sounds great but I dont see how insoles will help much in cycling? Most of the chill must come from wind cooling over the upper of the shoe/boot surely? A sock made in this stuff might be rather good and any kind of jacket liner or hat liner might be perfect for really cold temps.

Personally I'd like to find a thin sock and perhaps super thin glove liner if there was one, but I havent seen anything about this being available in the UK yet.

15. gudujarlson

gudujarlson New Member

I'm not sure, but I do know my running shoes are warmer than my cycling shoes even though they appear to be more vented on top. This could be because of a few reasons:

1) the wind blows over the entire shoe including the bottom
    2) the cleat/pedal interface is a good heat conductor
    3) the soles of cycling shoes tend to be thin
    4) the sock gets compressed on the bottom and thus insulates less

Personally, I think it would need to be significantly below 0F before I would consider a heavily insulated coat for bike riding. Keeping my upper body warm is pretty simple using a few layers of normal stuff. On the other hand, keeping my feet and hands warm is a challenge at 30F.

16. MichaelHelton

MichaelHelton New Member

380 for 3 min is an awesome finish.

Are you still sticking with the original plan of 2x20 SSTs?

17. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my current riding gloves (Pearl Iz) which are comfy down to about 35F but after a an hour or two on the road just start to come up short. Some glove liners by Assos solved the problem completely, at least down to 25F which is my usual cuttoff. They are slim enough and fit well enough to go under an already snug glove without any discomfort or feeling of additional bulk.

18. Bigpikle

Bigpikle New Member

yep - silk liner gloves under Craft Siberian gloves down to about 25F and below that my Spesh Subzero 2 part gloves are the only thing that I've found that really works, but they are very bulky... For feet I have Goretex Northwave road boots with HD neoprene overshoes on them but my feet still get cold after a while when it starts knocking on 30F or less.

19. fluro2au

fluro2au New Member

Any updates Freddy?

Paul

20. Freddy Merxury

Yes, still doing 2x20

And unfortunatly no updates. The weather has been to cold and snowy for me to get out and do a threshold test. I've got a team training camp in Arkansas at the end of the month where I hope to hit some good numbers. Then most likely I'll get a chance in February to do a test and get a final number going into race season.

I'd guess that I'm somewhere around 310w, strealistic goal at this point is to hit 326w