90 watts in 22 weeks

So the last couple weekends I've been able to do 5 hour endurance rides with 250w NP. I've got this week of SST 2x20 then I'm going to hit out Saturday and try to crack out a hard hour. The weather is supposed to be nice, my legs feel good, I'm excited.

At the end of Sunday's ride I cracked a 606w minute effort. Glad to that much snap at the end of 5 hours. Happily suprised how the 2x20's have even improved my ability to do long distance stuff.

Sounds very impressive developments !

What was the AP as a % of your FTP for those 5 hr rides just out of interest? Working on hitting a high % on 4-5 hr rides is one of my priorities in the next few months.

Short update. I got a new bike on Thursday. And of course the power meter bb needs a special adaptor to work, so I'm sans power until the order comes in. So instead of threshold work I did 3 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Both team rides so there was some intensity mixed in, I have no idea how intense because I had no power data.... really sucks. But the bike is fast, so that's awesome.

Originally Posted by Freddy Merxury .

So the last couple weekends I've been able to do 5 hour endurance rides with 250w NP. I've got this week of SST 2x20 then I'm going to hit out Saturday and try to crack out a hard hour. The weather is supposed to be nice, my legs feel good, I'm excited.

At the end of Sunday's ride I cracked a 606w minute effort. Glad to that much snap at the end of 5 hours. Happily suprised how the 2x20's have even improved my ability to do long distance stuff.
The 20 minute intervals really kick in after a few weeks. I do them on the trainer with some tunes playing, they pay off hugely on long climbs and hard windy races.

Did a Vo2Max test today

67.5 ml/kg/min

178 bpm at Threshold

300w-325w at threshold power. Not sure why the range was so high.

Interesting. What was the power at VO2Max, how much do you weight at the moment and what kind of ramps were used?

I'm 170 right now with about 15 pounds of extra fat.

Protocol was 25w every 1 minute. Started at 100w

I quit a few seconds into 450w

25w/1min ends up quite much higher than pVO2Max. If you have the graphs/tables of oxygen consumption for each ramp, draw a power/VO2 line from submaximal ramps and check where it crosses the VO2Max line for pVO2Max. I would guess around 400w.

Pity there's no baseline test. Even the protocol really is not for efficiency but I would have still expected a bit higher oxygen consumption for your background and power numbers. Probably your hard work has done it's job!

400w is problably about right since I've done that for 5 minutes in the past.

I thin my per/kg number is a little low because of 15 pounds of extra fat. My 5.3 ml/min number at my normal weight of 155ish would be better.

Definately, but I was already thinking in lines of absolute oxygen consumption. That's why I asked for your weight and I didn't mean that the number is low itself just the relation of watts produced for oxygen consumed is perhaps a bit higher than I expected. Not that I have extensive experience or knowledge, just a handlful of tests I have seen. But still very interesting to see your progress!

Edit: note, there are a lot of assumptions here, so take it only as a speculation.

I'm Back!!!! So last year I got to 315w at threshold before crahsing on my face at a January team training camp. Never quite got it back together after that. This year I'm starting back up October 1st with the same old training plan. 2x20's until my eyes bleed. Only cool thing I accomplished this last year was doing 790w for a minute @ 75kg... Other then that, total failure. I'm extremely motivated. I know based on last year how effective this training is. All I need to do is put in the time. I'll update you mofros with my progress. 340w by next March. Let's do this!

Freddy, if you don't mind me asking, what did your FTP get to at its peak last year, as that was the original goal stated.

I stopped tracking my FTP after January. Based on my season results I'd say I never went over 315w and probably regressed over time. Which is why I'm maintaining my same goal from last year.

Quote: Originally Posted by Freddy Merxury .

So last year I got to 315w at threshold before crahsing on my face at a January team training camp. Never quite got it back together after that.

Do you know why you crashed? over training? poor nutrition?

I literally crashed on my face. My rear wheel popped out while I was out of the saddle on a climb, went over the bars and crashed face first. Had to get a bunch of root canals and my jaw wired shut. Had to take a month off and never got back into training hard after.

Sorry to hear about you accident! I had a similar accident in januari, going over the bar at 30 mph knocking out one tooth and damaging 5 other teeths. Getting back on the bike in feb and more or less back in shape in may. A new crash on mtb again at 30 mph resulting in a injured back and 4 weeks of the bike. Now I am more or less in the same shape as in jan. For next season I'm aiming for a FTP of 300 watts and hopefully I can avoid crashes. It can be very challeging to restart the training. Good luck with your training!

The Merx is back again and getting ready for another long off season of training. I'll give some updates in case anyone cares!

Interesting thread. Good luck!

How did you come up with the 85% of max 5min power for a threshold goal?

I just checked and my peak threshold seems to be right at 84%, so that's pretty interesting. Is their any physiological correlation there or just a good, round number to shoot for?

Dude, my experience is this. I've been training for just shy of 5 months and just did a 470 watt ramp test. you just gotta be more hardcore, there's no shortcuts. My CP20 is 390 watts but I'm heavy at 77kg. looking to get to 73 kg and CP20 400+ in the next few months. you can do this. best of luck china.