Road Cycling · Public discussion

'93 Trek 1420 bike

Started by nu rider · · Last activity · 2 posts · 8,562 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 June 2012
Last activity
7 June 2012
Original author
nu rider
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
8,562
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I live in Sacramento and am new to cycling. I'm buying a used '93 Trek 1420 bike from a close friend. She orginally paid $850 in '93 for it. Neither one of us have a clue of what I should pay for it. It's in decent shape, just replaced the tires and tubes and pretty certain I'll need a tune-up. I was thinking of offering $250 - $300 and wanted to know if this would be a reasonable price.

  2. Reasonable for whom?

    Even high end bikes generally lose their value more rapidly than most people realize ...

    • a very nice vintage bike with high end components MAY (but, probably not) appear to sell for a lot, but Dollar depreciation masks the loss in actual value ...

    Some people would pay only $50 for a bike as old as your friend's ...

    On the other hand, 'I' might pay many times that amount just for a frameset, alone (What do I know?!? Okay, it would have to be a steel frame of a doesn't-necessarily-have-to-be-great-but-does-have-to-be-recognizable heritage.) ...

    In excellent condition, a non-descript 20 year old bike may only be worth 1/4th of its MSRP value ... possibly, less ...

    So, $250-$300 is probably beyond reasonable ....

    I suggest that if she is a REALLY close friend who is temporarily short on funds & you have extra money that you would like her to have without embarrassing her, then let your generosity be your guide ... figure that you would possibly be "gifting" her $100-to-150+.

    On the other hand, you may not be able to find another bike in comparable condition for less in Sacramento-and-environs for less than $300 ... sometimes, used bikes which "fit" the rider are simply not readily available -- sometimes, SMALL frames warrant a premium over the "same" bike with a common frame size --sometimes not -- and so, $250-$300 might indeed be reasonable for both of you.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.