94.7 - General Discussion

Roadster,
Great to hear you had a good ride. THe weather was perfect. If there was less wind it would've been ideal conditions.

I don't have a race calendar for next year (and CycleLabs Calendar doesn't work) but last year The 94.2 Traffic Classic and The Pick 'n Pay Hyper To Hyper were in the last half of January.

Both brilliant races and they promise not to have them on the same weekend this year ::)

The H2H is especially good and fast :)

Nice ride, Roadster. Glad to hear that everyone on the board did well.

Yup, I've checked the various sites and no results yet. I've got the Star and its got all the finish times, no placings though.
They've added a minute onto my time though :mad: Oh well I guess it could be the difference between the group start time and me crossing the start.
I think its time to start a Hyper to Hyper thread. Sean_L can you help us with some tips for the fast one ;)

My time in The Star says 2:35:02 .... I wonder where they got the extra 2 minutes from?

Perhaps my cycle computer didn't read too well on that really bumpy section on the way to Diepsloot. It was pretty difficult even keeping my hands on the handlebars at 50km/h down there.

Acid, there's no trick to doing the H2H. Take abit of a break and then get some long endurance rides in over December. Then some speed and power work in the beginning of Jan and you'll fly in the race. Very important to warm up well before the race so that you get up the top of tough Silver Ball climb (2kms from the start) with your bunch.

Congrats on your time!
This was my first 94.7. My time was 3:29, I started in group Z and tried to work my way up the field. I was really happy with my time considering the fact I didn't ride in a bunch at all during the race.
Thanks for the tips for the hyper to hyper.
By the way, I live in Melville, Johannesburg, SA, and I'm looking for a training partner.

My time in The Star says 2:35:02 .... I wonder where they got the extra 2 minutes from?

Perhaps my cycle computer didn't read too well on that really bumpy section on the way to Diepsloot. It was pretty difficult even keeping my hands on the handlebars at 50km/h down there.

Acid, there's no trick to doing the H2H. Take abit of a break and then get some long endurance rides in over December. Then some speed and power work in the beginning of Jan and you'll fly in the race. Very important to warm up well before the race so that you get up the top of tough Silver Ball climb (2kms from the start) with your bunch.

Well done on your first race too dave. My previous times for the race were 3:19 in 1999 and 3:12 last year also starting way back and riding on my own. I was just getting back into cycling then from a year lay off but we had to go around a lap of the track which was murderous. I think they dropped that to get more entries this year. I heard rumours about a petition...?

By the way, I live in Melville, Johannesburg, SA, and I'm looking for a training partner.
I stay on the East Rand so not much help I'm afraid.

How about posting a thread about training partners. I see more and more people signing up and this bb takes off and you're bound to find someone.

Results are out!!!!

Race Time : 02:35:05.5
Position : 265
Category Position :N/A
Average Speed : 36.64

Hi Guys. Heard about this forum and signed up immediately since I'm fed up with all the "Entry for Argus" postings on the other forum :mad:. Why don't the SC guys just move all that **** over to the ACT web site instead ? Anyway, this looks like a well organised forum and I look forward to sharing a lot of info with all you guys soon.

Also rode the 94.7 with only 5 days (285km) of Base Training, starting 6 Nov 2001. Did a 2h53m10s which was OK in the light of the little training I did for the event.

Why then so little training before a major event ? I went over to Europe in October to watch the Road Worlds in Lisbon ;D.  I'm creating a web page of the photo's I took at the men's Elite events - will post this as soon as it's complete for those interested in checking them out !!!

Hey all the new members, welcome to the board. Geez, I pop out for an hour and 3 new members join! Great stuff!

Hey Sean, look on page 19 of the Star Race Results. I can see ya, buddy!

VO2 were you handing out flyers for this site at the race. Just checked the bunch of flyers that were on my car, there was a little slip there with this address on. :D nice touch.

Results : they also got 1 mintue more than me. oh well

Race time : 3:28:32
Position : 4291
avg spd 27.25

Hey Sean, look on page 19 of the Star Race Results. I can see ya, buddy!
Can you see my name or picture :p or what? I haven't got the paper and doubt I'll get one. Does it give the category position?

Yip, ouzo, that was me ;)

Sean, there's a photo on page 19 of the area behind the pits. I can see you standing next to that BMW that was parked next to your marquee. I'm not sure if its me you are chatting to, but you are definitely in the shot ;)

Cool. I'm going to try and find a paper but since it's raining out all the corner vendors have disappeared.

Time: 03:02:01.0
Position: 1701
Average speed: 31.22

I'm happy with that :D

Sean, I don't see any category positions yet, not in the Star either

I've just got the paper.
I'm not sure how you can say with absolute certainty that it's me Vo2. Took me about 2 minutes to find what I think may be me. But with my face only 2 to 3 mms high at newspaper resolution, it's very difficult to be sure.