94.7 - General Discussion

Ooi Acid, missed sub3 by 2 minutes :mad:
Next year, I wanna do your time ;)
Ah well, whats two minutes anyway, I'm still in search of my elusive sub-3 (No luck yet :'()
But in saying that, I know I'll go sub-3 at the Hyper to Hyper. (I just have to retro fit my bike with a re-entry shield 'cause I'm gonna blast that one ;)
You can do the time I did as well, it's taken me three years of training to get here, I've trained specifically for this race now for the last 8 months. I found my weak point was hills... so I became well aquainted with the Krugersdorp Hill and Conrad drive in Blairgowrie (Up and Down, Up and Down, Up and Down :p) Can you believe that my first 94.7 took me 4hr26min :eek:. Get a goal VO2 and run with it, I gave everything for this years race, but I stuck to my goal and I feel I achieved it (Even taking those pesky 2 minutes into account :mad:)
So next year I'll go for a decent sub-3, I'm also toying with the idea of the Ironman in Cape Town (2003) and possibly Comrades in a few years time (I'll have to see how my body responds to Ultra Distance Running :p)

Set a goal for next year NOW, write it on your fridge, set as your wallpaper and your screensaver. Live it every day, you WILL achieve it!! ;)

Ah well, whats two minutes anyway, I'm still in search of my elusive sub-3 (No luck yet :'()
But in saying that, I know I'll go sub-3 at the Hyper to Hyper. (I just have to retro fit my bike with a re-entry shield 'cause I'm gonna blast that one ;)
You can do the time I did as well, it's taken me three years of training to get here, I've trained specifically for this race now for the last 8 months. I found my weak point was hills... so I became well aquainted with the Krugersdorp Hill and Conrad drive in Blairgowrie (Up and Down, Up and Down, Up and Down :p) Can you believe that my first 94.7 took me 4hr26min :eek:. Get a goal VO2 and run with it, I gave everything for this years race, but I stuck to my goal and I feel I achieved it (Even taking those pesky 2 minutes into account :mad:)
So next year I'll go for a decent sub-3, I'm also toying with the idea of the Ironman in Cape Town (2003) and possibly Comrades in a few years time (I'll have to see how my body responds to Ultra Distance Running :p)

Set a goal for next year NOW, write it on your fridge, set as your wallpaper and your screensaver. Live it every day, you WILL achieve it!! ;)

Did that for this race too. I wanted sub 4's and managed 3:27 but I feel my legs were good for 3 hours, my body was not.

Hyper to Hyper is relatively flat and if you can stay out of the wind a sub 3 is easy. I managed a 2:50 last year and I'm going for a 2:30 and under this year. But I think because its so fast it's more difficult to improve.

My first 94.7 was 5:15

I'm sure its you. Aint that the cycle jersey you wore?
If we're looking at the same person, then I can only see a shoulder and bit of chest. But it does look like the same sleeve.

I tested it by asking some colleagues if they could see me near the BMW and no one was positive.

Heres a scenario:

Lets say you're doing the 94.7 . You have Armstrongs legs with Lange's weight. A group of you line up in F group and you time trial it till the finish. Your time when finishing is less than the time of the winner. Do they then declare you the winner are are you just honoured with have the best time ?

I know this is a very rare case and probable will never happen, but what happens if it does ?

Just curios

If we're looking at the same person, then I can only see a shoulder and bit of chest. But it does look like the same sleeve.

I tested it by asking some colleagues if they could see me near the BMW and no one was positive.

K, if you don't wanna be in the newspaper, it's fine with me ;D

K, if you don't wanna be in the newspaper, it's fine with me ;D
It's probably me. ;)

ouzo, as an example:
There was a girl racing with us in the A group and even stayed with us through all the attacks. I'm not sure what happened to her as I got dropped at the halfway mark (which we went through in 1hr13). Now there's no doubt that she finished at least 15 minutes ahead of the licensed ladies (2hr52) but she doesn't win the ladies because she was racing in the open seeded category and being pulled along by us guys.

Basically, licensed racing is all about winning (tactical) and not much to do with setting the best time.

I believe there's a lady that was seeded in the C-group, that came in at 2hr45.

Last year: 6hrs30
This year: 3hrs20

Thats a 3hr10 improvement.

Would it be safe to assume then that the most improved 94.7 participant this year, is me? ;D

Lat year doesn't count because yuo just about carrie your bike over the line ;D

Lat year doesn't count because yuo just about carrie your bike over the line  ;D

nah-uh, it still counts. I win! ;D

mmmwwaahahaha ;D

okay okay, I relent ;D

The closer you get to the front the harder it is to improve. My time is nearly 40 minutes faster than last year.

BTW, more people think it is me on pg 19 than those who don't ;)

Hi, Sean_L, great time!! If only....... Maybe next year? If anybode have more info on the H2H, pleeeeze post it here. I would really like to participate. Never done it before.

Hi, Sean_L, great time!!  If only.......  Maybe next year?  If anybode have more info on the H2H, pleeeeze post it here.  I would really like to participate.  Never done it before.
Thanks Roadster.

What do you want to know about the H2H other than you can rest from now until then and still ride a sub 3 ;D
It's not called the fast one for nothing...

It starts at Steeldale P'nP Hypermarket and ends at a park on the banks of the Vaal (can't remember the name). Used to end at Vanderbijl Park P'nP Hyper which is how it got it's name. That's the only bad thing really - that you have to have someone to fetch you there although some do cycle back.

The finish is in Vereeniging NOT Vanderbijl Park.
Wouldn't want anyone taking a wrong turn because of me ;D
Dickinson Park, Mario Milani Drive, Vereeniging to be more precise. ;)

I have a huge bruise on my right knee from where it hit the pedal in the race. I guess it saved other delicate parts from landing on the top tube :eek:

Hey guys, A Cyclelab article mentions buck-naked beauties dancing over the road near Teasers during the race.

What did I miss???? :'(

Hey guys, A Cyclelab article mentions buck-naked beauties dancing over the road near Teasers during the race.

What did I miss???? :'(
Damn, did I do the same race? I did not even remember passin Teazers. Anyone got pics ?

Guys I thought this was so perplexing that I thought it deseverd it's own thread. Teasers is at the left turn just after you cross the highway about 7kms from the start.