jeremyd

Jul 19, 2004
I'm unfit, fat and last rode a bike at school. Is it too late to start training for the 94.7? I saw the cycle lab programme on the website but it said intermediate training. Do I still attempt to follow it? What distances should I be covering? What does half the stuff mean on the programme? What's 2km drag etc?
Help!

jeremyd said:
I'm unfit, fat and last rode a bike at school. Is it too late to start training for the 94.7? I saw the cycle lab programme on the website but it said intermediate training. Do I still attempt to follow it? What distances should I be covering? What does half the stuff mean on the programme? What's 2km drag etc?
Help!
Welcome to the forum jeremyd.
Do you want to race or just go out there and finnish? If you want to do it for the fun of it and you are only getting into cycling then don't worry to much about all the technical stuf; get on your bike and put some km's on.
I don't think it is to late to start training. I did the Argus this year after only about 300km on the bike for the year (had a big wipe-out that prevented me from training), but I ride to stay fit and to enjoy it, not to race with the big oaks.
Set your goals and start training accordingly, try to do a 2-3 hr ride once a week to get the time in the saddle and you should be able to finnish the race, just don't expect to much if you don't train hard.

Lazy legs said:
Welcome to the forum jeremyd.
Do you want to race or just go out there and finnish? If you want to do it for the fun of it and you are only getting into cycling then don't worry to much about all the technical stuf; get on your bike and put some km's on.
I don't think it is to late to start training. I did the Argus this year after only about 300km on the bike for the year (had a big wipe-out that prevented me from training), but I ride to stay fit and to enjoy it, not to race with the big oaks.
Set your goals and start training accordingly, try to do a 2-3 hr ride once a week to get the time in the saddle and you should be able to finnish the race, just don't expect to much if you don't train hard.
thanks, just really want to finish and feel good afterwards for the moment

jeremyd said:
Help!
Jeremyd, it aint late to start training. If may make a suggestion, ride the race as if it is a fun ride. Post a time and then next year, work hard at it, stay focused and train as much as you can. Ride next years race and smash your previous year's time. It feels so good. Good luck and enjoy the ride. It is fun all the way from start to finish.

rhalim said:
It is fun all the way from start to finish.

100%, after the Argus this is the race with the most crowd support you'll get, enjoy the moment and soak it all in. Get used to the atmosphere and riding in the bunch, and then try to get in for the Argus, now those "Kaapenaars" know how to come out and support! :cool: and party next to the road. :p

What does half the stuff mean on the programme? What's 2km drag etc?
Help![/QUOTE]

How did your 94.7 turn out? :)

Really crappy.. 2 months before the race, I fell off a mountain bike and broke my hand, shoulder and a couple of ribs....no race this year. Looking forward to next year though.
DarrylZ said:
What does half the stuff mean on the programme? What's 2km drag etc?
Help!
How did your 94.7 turn out? :)[/QUOTE]

*Silverback* said:
I'm doing the 40km MTB race...... will be my first MTB race :rolleyes:

This year's 94.7 was my best ever - mostly because I spent it in Durban with friend that was out from Denmark celebrating his 30th birthday...

How did eveyone else get on?

Friends reported rain and slippery roads...