Acid,
I think it's important for you to make you you're fully recoved from the throat infection before you start. I expect you were off for more than a week or so.

Then you need to get your body (& heart) used to the bike again for a day or two. The muscles need to get into the habit of going round and round. A couple of easy to medium intensity rides spinning the legs until you feel better.

You can't really do high intensity training properly without having done lots of low intensity endurance base work. If you have an adequate base then do some shortish (45mins - 1hr15) consistently hard (80 - 90%) rides. intervals can either be longish and slighlty lower in intensity or shorter higher intensity. eg. Increase HR up to 85% for 5 minutes and then recover to 60% for 5 minutes and repeat a number of times. Or increase HR to above 90% for a minute or 2 and recover to 60%.

Remember to warm up at 60% for 10 minutes before hard rides and cool down for 10 minutes after. And stretch those muscles.

Thanks SeanL, I've still got a lot of Phlem floating around  :p but the general malaise left me on Monday after my course of antibiotics ended. I'm just a little nervous because I don't want to lose out on a good time on 94.7 because of this.

Anyway thanks for your advice, what time are you expecting to do up with the 'A' group??

VO2, Roadster and the others, what are your seedings and expected times for 94.7?? I've got an 'F' seeding and I am hoping to get as close to three hours as I can. I did 3h37 for the Argus this year with about half the training and motivation that I currently have for 94.7.

I am STOKED for this race!!! ;D ;D ;D

Last year the leading A guys did a 2:42 and the bunch got in 2:48. That was in the bad weather conditions last year.

I'm starting just behind you Acid. Seeded G - racing index 30.
I'm hoping for a 3hr15. Maybe you should sit up and wait for me so I can have a nice sit on your wheel! ;D ;D

Acid, Im also seeded in F. Look out for a yellow Bar One shirt, blue cannondale riding with a guy on a mountain bike that looks way to small for him.

I'm looking at doing under 4 hours. I did a 4h07 last year but I've trained more than I've ever trained before for this years race. Also changed my front chainring from a 42 to a 39 to help with the hills.

I will be satisfied with a 4 hour and very happy with a 3h30.

I'm looking at doing under 4 hours. I did a 4h07 last year but I've trained more than I've ever trained before for this years race. Also changed my front chainring from a 42 to a 39 to help with the hills.

I will be satisfied with a 4 hour and very happy with a 3h30.

Acid, I think you'll be closer to 3h30 than you think. ;)

You guys should come and meet me at my corporate sponsored marquee after the race. I'll give you details closer to the time if you want.

That'll be cool! But remember that there's no chance of me cycling your time, so you'll have to wait a while ;D K?

I'll be there all day. There are about 20 people riding in our corporate team (Anglo American). Only about 4 or 5 will get anywhere near the 3hr mark and about 7 of them are novices and will only be in 5hrs30 or 6 hrs.

Hi, you guys, Guess what!! I'm also an F groupie!! ;D I'll definately be on the lookout for you guys. If you see a very nervous gal next to you, that's me! :-[. I was very sick after the Lost City and lost about a month's training. Our cycling club also have their year end function on Saturday, so I can't party all night :'(! Hope to do the same as last year (3H30) or at least 10 - 15 min. quicker. It will be very tough though.

Well there's a group of us!! I'll be the one bouncing up and down in the IBM Lotus Gear (like 400 other guys I guess ::))
The butterflies in my stomach are already starting to plan their flight formations for the morning of the 18/11/2001. ::)

Roadster, if the wind is less it'll be a much faster time this year even if you're as fit as you were last year.

Hope to see you all there.

Hey guys,
What are your training plans this week? Going easy ? Seal_L are you continuing your intervals? What training you doing on Saturday??
;)

Did an easy 20 k's yesterday. Will do an easy 25 minutes on the trainer today (60 - 70 % maxHr), again on Wednesday. Plenty of rest and eating correctly this whole week.

Don't forget to start drinking lotsa water! Try and consume @ least 2 ltrs. of water/day from now until Saturday.

This weekend I did some speed work indoor on the rollers.

Vo2, you should be drinking some of your energy drink too this week even when not cycling. You don't want to drink too much water only and dilute your eloctrolytes ;)

Cheers

This weekend I did some speed work indoor on the rollers.

Vo2, you should be drinking some of your energy drink too this week even when not cycling. You don't want to drink too much water only and dilute your eloctrolytes ;)

Cheers
how does 1.5litre megaload a day sound to you ? I bought a bottle of mineral water on friday, mixed my megaload energade into it and was expecting it to last a few days. I finished it on friday. Same thing again today.

Makes me need to P alot though. ???

Did a 70km race on Saturday. During this week I will do a lot of rest and recovery and easy, very easy training rides. Never did carbo loading before a big race. Maybe this is a good time to start??

Yip, hydrating your body properly is essential as water is needed for glycogen storage. For every gram of glycogen the muscles (and liver) stores, it needs 2-3 grams of water. Avoid alcohol and caffeine drinks as these can have a dehydrating effect on you. And as Sean suggests, supplement with a sports drink. You are well hydrated if your urine is clear and you need to visit the loo frequently. Drink up! ;D