Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Guest, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

How come every time I've attempted a quality training ride it rains. :mad:

I just hope that all the other strong guys are getting as little done in these last 2 weeks as I've had. On the plus side I've done lost of rest and recovery which shows in that my resting HR is the lowest it's ever been.

Don't be afraid to have at least one short hardish ride this week. Even on Saturday an hour or so easy ride with a couple of very short 85% sprints just to prepare the heart for Sunday. I even do a few sprints in my 45 minute warmup just before going into my starting pen.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Guys,

Weatherman sez its gonna RAIN this weekend!!  :mad: :mad: (My Weatherman anyway!! Anyone got a weather man with another opinion let me know :p)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

The weather pattern has been afternoon showers mostly so may not be rain but probably overcast.

I actually rather enjoy racing in the rain because I tend to go well and my legs feel pretty good - don't tend to get cold easily. Also everyone else seems so nervous and go slower for some reason.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

It drizzled last year at the start. The cold really made my legs cramp.

Just checked a 5 day forecast. 40% chance of thundershowers in the afternoon. I'll be finished well before the afternoon so it does not bother me.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't care if it rains during the race. I've done a couple in the rain and it's okay. But commuting on the way to work in it suck big time.

Today was really my last day to do a good quality hardish ride on the way home but when I got up at 05h00 everything was wet out. But by the time I left in my car it was completely dry and no dark clouds in sight. :mad:

The rollers are boring to train on... and I battle to do good intensity sessions on them. I just can't sit in a 53-12/13 at 65km/h for long because the bike is really tough to control on the rollers at that speed to keep the HR above 80%.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

This as per the iafrica site. Looks more promising than the report I saw yesterday :D

am : P/cloudy
    pm : Showers
    24°C
    13°C
    RAIN : 30 %

7. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Hi Guys

Although this is an immensly popular thread, I think we have drifted off-topic. I've created a thread in the General Board for all our 94.7 chit-chat. That way we can come back after the race and discuss all our war stories ;)

Click here: 94.7 - General Discussion

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm confused... I've tried to keep it on topic with discussions about my training specifics etc. Must I keep that here or talk about it in the new thread?

BTW, I drove the route with a novice friend on Sunday (to scare the living daylights out of him because he hasn't trained ;D) and there are a couple of places with potholes. I hope they fill them before the race. The most dangerous of these I saw about 15kms into the race where we turn off the old Joburg road and go under the highway. On that fast downhill section under the bridge in the left lane are a few clusters of them. Be careful.

9. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Don't be confused ;). Your tips are spot-on, so keep 'em coming! Let's have all the training and preperaration tips here, and keep the weather and chit-chat regarding the race in the general discussion.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm also a bit unsure as to where to put this post VO2, move it if you wanna.
    Another HUGE pothole on the downhill section on Katherine drive just before the Grayston drive fly over. Measures about half a meter across and about 15cm deep :eek:. On the left hand side of the middle lane. Try to remember, if you're in a bunch decending it gonna be to big to scoot around without bumping anyone. Be careful pleez

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Cool 8) ;D

So how has your preparation been in the last few weeks? And everybody else...

I feel like I haven't done enough and I'm going to suffer trying to stay with the top A guys. 2 months ago I would have easily competed with them.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Acid, I'm always in front of the bunch on the downhills so shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully I'm still with the bunch there ;)

13. Guest

Guest Guest

2 weeks back I would have said no problem. The last week and a half though I just dont feel in top form. Maybe my body is not used to the rest :D

Still think I'm going to crack under 4 though. :)

14. Vo2

Vo2 Member

I always feel that way before any race, and after.
    I would have liked to do a quick 70 or so Sunday past, but the weather did'nt play along. I'm feeling fairly good (don't hope I jinx myself now!). Tommorow I'll start CHO-loading.
    Tonight, Thursday and Friday I'll do 15k's hard - TT fashion. Whatya think Sean, good idea?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey,

Last few weeks haven't been good for me. Rain, throat infection and general lack of cycling depression. I'm feeling better this week and I'm raring to go but I have to hold myself back otherwise I'll burn out before race start :p :p

I've been on a solid base for a few months so I'm hoping that will stand me in good stead. My hill climbing has improved since last year thanks to the Jock Classique. (After riding up those hills I'll be ready for anything!! :eek:
    I'm not a sprinter, but then I'm not going out to win any categories or anything so I'm not concerned about that. I'm hoping for a 3hr finish but that will require a little bit more effort than I'm used to, but this is THE race on my calendar so wish me luck ;)

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I also wanted a long hard fast one on Sunday but had to do an hour on the rollers instead.

Yeah some short hard ones are the way to go but not 3 days in a row. You need some recovery in-between too. Take the Thursday off or a very easy spin. Friday shouldn't be too hard either. Try get the HR up without using big gears or hills...

I usually do this:
    Tuesday - short intervals
    Wednesday - rest or recovery ride
    Thursday - short hard ride
    Friday - complete rest day
    Saturday - easy ride with some short sprints

The worst thing to do is too ride too hard and the 2nd worst is to not ride enough.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Sean_L are you looking to stay with the bunch to the end and a bunch sprint (A Bit hairy with the new finish :eek: ) or are you a late breaker looking to lose the bunch on the final run in to Kyalami?

18. Guest

Guest Guest

There isn't a bunch anymore by the time the A guys hit Kyalami. Attacks in strategic places wittles it down. Usually only a handful go into Kyalami together. With this rain I doubt i'm going to be in that final group :(

It'll be mostly the lighter climbers who are first over the line this race. I'd prefer a bunch sprint and i don't think it'll be more difficult from the opposite direction.

19. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Copied this from the Cyclelab newsletter:

1. Stop, Stop, training and Rest! [You cannot get any fitter at this stage]
    2. Increase your carbohydrate intake in these final 3 days. [Megaload is great]
    3. Sleep as much as possible.
    4. Do not change anything; whatever has worked up to now will be what you use on the day. Don’t buy any wonder products at the expo.
    5. Make sure you can change a puncture on your own and that you have all the necessary equipment.
    6. Don’t worry if you don’t have good nights sleep the night before the event. [Not many cyclists do]
    7. Make sure you have breakfast at least 2hrs before your start time.
    8. Make sure you leave home early to avoid the traffic back up.
    9. Warm up well, the fist 5km are particularly difficult.
    10. Drink little bits often as soon as you are hungry or thirsty it is too late.
    11. Never look behind you.
    12. Never overlap on the wheel in front of you.
    13. Pace yourself, it’s not called Johannesburg’s toughest race for nothing.
    14. Try and slipstream [get sucked along] by other cyclists as much as possible.
    15. Rather ride easier gears on the hills and save your legs for later on.
    16. Use the downhill’s [yes there are a few] to recover and eat and drink.
    17. Don’t think of this as 94,7 km ride, rather as ten nine km sections and a 4km freewheel down to Kyalami track.
    18. Do not save anything for Kyalami race track, you don’t have to go round the track this year.
    19. Don’t stop as you cross the line.
    20. Enjoy the day and have fun!

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Those tips are mainly for novices who haven't done much training. If you've been there before you should know what to do.

A useful tip for getting to the race on time and avoiding the traffic jams. If you come along the N1, go past Allandale offramp and get off at New Road. Turn left and drive through the countyside (with a stop street or two) and you'll eventually come out at the bottom of the 2nd hill on the race route (there are BIG satellite dishes on your right). Turn left and park on the left when you get to Kyalami.