94% max HR for 38 min ?? (good or deadly?)

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by QuintanaG, Oct 15, 2006.

1. QuintanaG

QuintanaG New Member

I'm fairly new to cycling but I've noticed that it is the only exercise that causes a relatively high HR without much perceived exertion.

Just finished a 12 mile ride in 38:04 and an average HR of 178 (94% max). Honestly did not feel like I was working that hard. Other types of exercise would have wiped me out very quickly at this high HR.
    Is this a good thing or am I a heart attack waiting to happen? :confused:

Tags:

2. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I don't think there are any 'good' or 'bad' HRs. Stick to performance measurements instead. 18.9mph for 38 minutes is pretty good, work on improving that.

3. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt New Member

How are you determining your max heart rate? If you are using the 220-Age formula, its likely that its wildly off.

If the number was your true max heart rate, I'm not sure that it would even be possible to maintain that intensity for 38 minutes. I could be wrong on that.

It's more likely that your max rate is much higher than you think, and you are working out at a lower percentage of max heart rate. You could figure this out by doing one of two things. You could do some intervals at maximum effort and see how high your heart rate goes. You probably can't get it to 100%, but I bet you can get it significantly higher than 185.

The second method would be to pick out a flat straight course with no stops that you can ride at for about 10 minutes. Warm up for at least ten minutes. Then do the course twice, with at least 5 minutes between for cooldown. On each interval, try to go at the top speed that you think you can maintain for the entire length. Your average heart rate for that distance will be close to your anaerobic threshold, and well below your max heart rate.

Chris Carmichael uses the second method to find a number that he uses as the basis for other workout intensities.

Duffy

4. kclw

kclw New Member

That is nothing to be worried about.

I have seen an athlete with a measured max of 201 average 192 for a 2hr mountain bike race.

5. CDAKIAHONDA

CDAKIAHONDA New Member

Welcome to an individual time trial! ITT for short.

6. Lucy_Aspenwind

Lucy_Aspenwind New Member

Heh....heart rate is just, well, heart rate - don't put a great deal of stock in it. Rather focus on more objective variables and metrics......power for instance.

The real trick isn't being able to get to a given HR number, but rather how much work you can do at certain level.

7. Woofer

Woofer New Member

I did something like that in every mountain bike race when I was doing mountain bike racing a few years ago in my twenties, 190-195 out of 205 for 2.0 to 2.5 hours.. It was sort of a useless metric. :)

8. jeff828

jeff828 New Member

Dont worry too much, my max is 210 & I've averaged in t he 190s for years & Im not dead. The only probem you will have with that high hr is you wont be able to react to attacks, bridge gaps, crank up the speed in the last 1k of a RR or crit, since you dont have many beats left. Get where you can average 80% and you'll be smokin :D

I just averaged 194 in yesterdays masters crit & 193 in the cat 3 crit (same day) in greenville & still managed 22nd in the 3s & a prime. Today I averaged 187 & felt real good. its still to high, next year I want it to be 175-180

9. BullGod

BullGod New Member

Hr is unique to every individual.

I can ride a 40km TT in under an hour without going over 160bpm for example. But a guy might get the same time as me with an average of 185.

Think about how the size of each person's heart varies - the higher your stroke volume, the less often it neads to beat to provide max power output.

10. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Why?

11. dm69

dm69 New Member

Whoever said you can't accelerate when your heart rate is near maximal? That is a load of BS, your HR may be 90% and your wattage may be 350 watts but your max wattage could be 1350 watts! thats 1000 watts of acceleration. The belief that I have to slow down because I am almost "out of beats" is quite rediculous.

My tested max is 206 (I am 150 billion% sure my max is between 205 1/2 & 206 1/2 LOL!!!). I have a Polar 725x TE and for an hour and a half my HR hovered between 175-185bpm (84%-89%) which is basically my LT. This wasn't even what I would classify a "HARD" race, I only left 90% effort on the bitumen that day so i wouldn't be too worried with the HR readings the OP saw.

However you should get your max HR properly checked, dont be a marshmallow and just do it!

12. jeff828

jeff828 New Member

Simple examples:

If you put out 350watts at 90% of your max
    OR
    If you could put out 350watts at 70% of your max
    which one would you rather have?

If you were on a climb at 350watts (90%) and a few hard attacks happen you most likely wont be able to stay with them but if your climbing at 70% & they attack you have a lot better chance.

13. jeff828

jeff828 New Member

The object is not to have to slow down but put out more power at a lower HR. You can accellerate at 90% of your max, but not as fast as the guy who is only at 70% of max, he will probably blow you away.

If you rode 1-1/2hrs @90% (your LT) and a buddy of yours rode right next to you for 1-1/2hrs @70% who do you think will not be as taxed?
    Think of it this way, you only have 10% left to work with, your buddy has 30% left to work with, kinda the difference between sitting in the draft & being in front.

Dont you feel way stronger when your riding 70% versus 90%?

People might have a max wattage of 1200,1300,1400 whatever it is, does not mean at the end of the race you will be able to hit that number, it depends on how hard you worked.

That number you hit in testing or training was when you were fresh, definitly not after a 2-4hr ride/race. Unless you were only at 65-70% the whole ride/race.

14. K50

K50 New Member

This is so wrong it's not even funny. How can you be at 90%MHR and only be at 25.9% of your max power. That's humanly impossible. You cannot show me one person in this world who fits that criteria.

15. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

That's not a good way of thinking.

16. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Err, you might want to think about this one a bit.

Go and ride a VO2 Max interval or 3 and I bet after a few minutes your HR will be pretty well up near your max. But power output at VO2 Max is (for me anyway) about 25% of my maximal power output in a sprint. My heart doesn't (can't) beat any faster in a sprint though...

17. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

I know a man who really wishes this was true.

He can reach 100% of his max heart rate while drinking his morning apple juice and reading his newspaper. And if I'm not mistaken, it could be for fairly long intervals.

(... sorry. I'm creating some "obstruction" out of context arguments here. But it's a true story though)

18. K50

K50 New Member

True, after a few minutes in any interval above threshold power, my HR will start to reach my max, but is it really possible to be at 90% max HR and have 75% of max power left to really sprint at this point?

Sprinting power is independant of MAP, and if you are already at 90% max HR, that means you've got little room to extend and I think it would be impossible to sprint at your max sprint power at this point in time. Sprinting power is only attainable from a relatively light start, not when the body is already stressed and working anaerobically as it is at 90% max HR. I think he also mentioned it was in a race type situation, which makes it more valid.

My 10 minute CP is 55.5% of my 1 minute CP. Maybe if I really went for a peak power of less than 30s as a sprint, I could see it being only 35% of my sprint power, but is it really a sprint in a race if it's less than 1 minute or even 30s?

19. K50

K50 New Member

He can produce 1350W while sitting down and reading?? That's impressive. Otherwise, that's known as a terrible heart condition lol.

20. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

I didn't say they were. You questioned about HR & Max power (not MAP). My max HR can be induced by riding anywhere from 25%-100% of my max power. Indeed probably lower power if I go long enough....