$95 Tyres, What the

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Kurt Green, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Kurt Green

    Kurt Green Guest

    I saw in a BS this morning some $95 road tyres, each.
    What can a $95 road tyre do, that a $30 one can't ?

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    lighter, faster basically.

    OTOH, it'll wear faster.

    i think for that kinda dosh it should at least make you coffee :rolleyes:

  3. bluenose

    bluenose Guest

    It'll keep you the right side up going down a twisty/winding hill at
    extreme speed. I found cheaper tyres are alot more squirmish and don't
    grip as well.

    Mind you, I've not been overly impressed with my Maxxis Columbiere's,
    good rolling resistance, wearing well etc but I feel they've let me down
    in situations such as the ones mentioned above. I've nearly come a
    cropper a few times over the last week and have found that I've lost
    abit of my bottle. Has anyone else suffered this?

    I'll be going back to my Conti 3000's or trying their Attack combo when
    I'm ready for a new set.

    Kurt Green wrote:

    > I saw in a BS this morning some $95 road tyres, each.
    > What can a $95 road tyre do, that a $30 one can't ?

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Kurt Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I saw in a BS this morning some $95 road tyres, each.
    > What can a $95 road tyre do, that a $30 one can't ?

    Hold onto the road around a tight
    corner at 50kph?

    hippy
    - who frequently used $90+ tyres for commuting ;-)

  5. Silent Bob.

    Silent Bob. Guest

    Same as in a car, right?!

    > "Kurt Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I saw in a BS this morning some $95 road tyres, each.
    > > What can a $95 road tyre do, that a $30 one can't ?

    > Hold onto the road around a tight
    > corner at 50kph?
    >
    > hippy
    > - who frequently used $90+ tyres for commuting ;-)

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Kurt Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > I saw in a BS this morning some $95 road tyres, each.
    > > > What can a $95 road tyre do, that a $30 one can't ?

    > > Hold onto the road around a tight
    > > corner at 50kph?
    > >
    > > hippy
    > > - who frequently used $90+ tyres for commuting ;-)

    "Silent Bob." <[email protected]> wrote
    > Same as in a car, right?!

    My car tyres are cheaper..

    I have recently swapped to cheaper tyres though
    because once ProRace hit ~4000k they puncture
    if you look at 'em funny and I didn't want to keep
    shelling out on them just for training k's.

    hippy

  7. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    hippy wrote:

    >>>Hold onto the road around a tight
    >>>corner at 50kph?
    >>>
    >>>hippy
    >>>- who frequently used $90+ tyres for commuting ;-)

    > "Silent Bob." <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>Same as in a car, right?!

    > My car tyres are cheaper..
    >
    > I have recently swapped to cheaper tyres though
    > because once ProRace hit ~4000k they puncture
    > if you look at 'em funny and I didn't want to keep
    > shelling out on them just for training k's.
    >
    > hippy

    and car tyres last a LOT longer. When you compare $ per km,
    bicycle tyres cost an absolute fortune.

    But you can't measure the enjoyment of riding in $ terms :)

    --
    Nick

  8. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Try doing a $/km analysis using 19" performance tyres, especially if they're used in any form of motorsport. The milage is substantially less (although getting better these days) and I wish I had the price of a set of them to spend on a road bike.

  9. L'acrobat

    L'acrobat Guest

    "Kurt Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I saw in a BS this morning some $95 road tyres, each.
    > What can a $95 road tyre do, that a $30 one can't ?

    It depends on what they are designed to do - they may have better grip, be
    more punture resistant, have better rolling resistance, be lighter, etc

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    would that come down to contact area being more concentrated...

    and the shite condition of most roads in the lefthand 1-2 metres :rolleyes:

  11. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    mmm let me think about that... yes and yes, but I'd add that a car tyre is very very thick by comparison with a bicycle tyre.

    Ritch

  12. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    NickZX6R wrote:

    > and car tyres last a LOT longer. When you compare $ per km,
    > bicycle tyres cost an absolute fortune.

    Hmm, work Commodore SS ute. Four tyres, 30,000 kms, $1200. Four cents per
    kilometer.

    Theo

  13. rickster

    rickster Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    [snip]

    > I have recently swapped to cheaper tyres though
    > because once ProRace hit ~4000k they puncture
    > if you look at 'em funny and I didn't want to keep
    > shelling out on them just for training k's.
    >
    > hippy

    I use ProRaces as well for training and get about 4000-5000 km out of
    them then it's puncture time. However that seems to be about what I
    get for most road tyres no matter what they are. So I stick to the
    ProRaces and buy them on line at around $ 50 instead of $ 100.

    My race wheels have Vittoria Corsa's pumped up to 140-150 psi. You
    get only 2,000 km max on those, but they do seem/feel faster (maybe
    just the harsh ride giving the illusion ?) I am forced to use them as
    Michelin tyres are too hard to get on off the rim (Campag Shamals),
    but once again, buying them on line will save you.

    Rick

  14. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > NickZX6R wrote:
    >
    >> and car tyres last a LOT longer. When you compare $ per km,
    >> bicycle tyres cost an absolute fortune.

    > Hmm, work Commodore SS ute. Four tyres, 30,000 kms, $1200. Four cents
    > per kilometer.

    $300 per tyre for a work ute is insane.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  15. Lotte

    Lotte New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2004
    This thread has really made me tick!

    On Sunday, I rode up Mt Tamborine and on my way down the Canungra side (fast), all I managed to hit was 74km/h and I was squeezing the brakes as hard as I could because the bike felt so sketchy it's not funny.

    I now believe it has more to do with the tyres ($30 Vittorias) than the bike.

    I was sort of thinking "Hey, this new bike is nowhere near as stable as my old bike" and couldn't quite work it out as the new bike has carbon rear stays and fork as opposed to aluminium...

    Anyway, I'm positive it has to do with my sh!tty tires... I've only been running these since I started commuting and didn't want to waste my $90 Michelins on that.

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Lotte" <[email protected]

    > On Sunday, I rode up Mt Tamborine and on my way down the Canungra side
    > (fast), all I managed to hit was 74km/h and I was squeezing the brakes
    > as hard as I could because the bike felt so sketchy it's not funny.
    >
    > I now believe it has more to do with the tyres ($30 Vittorias) than the
    > bike.

    Could be the new frame geometry. The Pug is HEAPS
    twitchier than my older road bikes. Makes a good crit
    bike. Could it also be the road surface? Do you mean
    sketchy as in losing traction around corners or twitchy
    as in fast steering/responds to minimal rider input?

    > I was sort of thinking "Hey, this new bike is nowhere near as stable as
    > my old bike" and couldn't quite work it out as the new bike has carbon
    > rear stays and fork as opposed to aluminium...

    I'm sure frame materials would make little difference.

    > Anyway, I'm positive it has to do with my sh!tty tires... I've only
    > been running these since I started commuting and didn't want to waste
    > my $90 Michelins on that.

    The Schwalbe's on the Pug are doing okay so far..

    hippy