'98 RSX derailleurs and MTB shifters

Robert Strickla

Guest
I'm wondering if anyone could tell me whether '98 RSX front and rear derailleurs are compatible with
mountain bike STI shifters? I've got some left over RSX parts I'd like to use on a frame I just
bought and I'd like to use some cheap mountain bike shifters if I can get away with them.

Rob Strickland

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:49:26 +0100, "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm wondering if anyone could tell me whether '98 RSX front and rear derailleurs are compatible
>with mountain bike STI shifters? I've got some left over RSX parts I'd like to use on a frame I
>just bought and I'd like to use some cheap mountain bike shifters if I can get away with them.
>
>Rob Strickland

The rear-yes The front- it depends- if the MTB shifter you are going to use is indexed, then it
woun't work correctly, but if it is friction or has a series of small clicks, then yes it will work
just fine.

Bob

Robert-<< I'm wondering if anyone could tell me whether '98 RSX front and rear derailleurs are
compatible with mountain bike STI shifters? >><BR><BR>

Rear yes...front-maybe, try it. shimano front ders can sometimes work with the 'opposite'
shifter-sometimes...