'99 Trek 6500: worth upgrading?

Blake Gettig

Oct 22, 2003
Hey guys,
I recently got back into mtn biking and would like to do some XC sport racing once I get myself back into shape. I have a '99 Trek 6500 and was wondering if the bike is worth upgrading or should I look at buying a better bike/frameset. It has Trek's Alpha ZX tubeset which I believe was seamless, heat treated, 6061 T6 aluminum. I believe the 7000 used the same frame but with an LX/XT group set. Has anybody had any experience with these bikes? Also, it has an LX rear derailer and an 8spd cassette. The rest of the parts on the bike are either alivio or generic **** so I know those will have to go. The fork is a '99 Judy C which I have loved for the plush ride, but really makes the bike heavy. What areas would you guys recommend upgrading. I was thinking a set of decent, stiff cranks, an LX or better BB, a stem with less rise to spread the weight out a little better, and possibly a one or two year old SID, manitou, or marzocchi. Thanks for the help!

Look for NOS 8 speed stuff...XT crank,XT F&R derailleur, XT bottom bracket, XT cogs, IG 90 chain, Manitou SXR shocks, Thompson seatpost, Richey headset, Mavic 517 on XT, and your outlay should be about $600.