9sp crankset with 8sp everythingelse - will it work?

Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Guest
Hi again,

I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more choice in
9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But all the componentry on my
bike is currently 8sp. So - will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs,
chain and cassette?

I've done some research on the web and I'm now a little confused. Some
people say a 9sp crankset will work just fine. Others say the 9sp crankset
have reprofiled pick-up teeth that won't work with an 8sp chain so you have
to change the chain to a 9sp chain. The 9sp chain will work fine with the
8sp cassette and derailleurs. But I'm not keen on the idea of a 9sp chain
because I've read that 9sp components wear down up to twice as fast as 8sp
components.

Help!

I currently have my eye on an M572 LX splined 9sp crankset and an XT ES71
splined BB.

Thanks,
Jack

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:29:42 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi again,
>
>I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more choice in
>9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But all the componentry on my
>bike is currently 8sp. So - will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs,
>chain and cassette?

Yes. There is no problem with that.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

"Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more choice in
>9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But all the componentry on my
>bike is currently 8sp. So - will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs,
>chain and cassette?
>
>I've done some research on the web and I'm now a little confused. Some
>people say a 9sp crankset will work just fine. Others say the 9sp crankset
>have reprofiled pick-up teeth that won't work with an 8sp chain so you have
>to change the chain to a 9sp chain. The 9sp chain will work fine with the
>8sp cassette and derailleurs. But I'm not keen on the idea of a 9sp chain
>because I've read that 9sp components wear down up to twice as fast as 8sp
>components.

A 9 speed crank will work fine with an otherwise 8 speed drivetrain.
The only real difference is going to be a slightly smaller space
between the two chainrings - hardly enough to get excited about.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've just placed an order for Shimano LX
M571 splined crankset and a 121mm LX ES51 splined BB. Goody!

Jack.

> "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more choice in
> >9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But all the componentry on

my
> >bike is currently 8sp. So - will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp

derailleurs,
> >chain and cassette?
> >
> >I've done some research on the web and I'm now a little confused. Some
> >people say a 9sp crankset will work just fine. Others say the 9sp

crankset
> >have reprofiled pick-up teeth that won't work with an 8sp chain so you

have
> >to change the chain to a 9sp chain. The 9sp chain will work fine with

the
> >8sp cassette and derailleurs. But I'm not keen on the idea of a 9sp

chain
> >because I've read that 9sp components wear down up to twice as fast as

8sp
> >components.

> A 9 speed crank will work fine with an otherwise 8 speed drivetrain.
> The only real difference is going to be a slightly smaller space
> between the two chainrings - hardly enough to get excited about.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:14:08 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've just placed an order for Shimano LX
>M571 splined crankset and a 121mm LX ES51 splined BB. Goody!
>
>Jack.

Site link? .jpgs? ;-)

What is 'splined' (duh)?

-B

I'm running 9 speed cranksets with 8 speed chains, cassettes and shifters on
two MTBs right now - an XT FC-M760 w/ the integrated BB on my hardtail and
an XT FC-M752 splined BB set-up on my full rigid MTB. I've noticed no real
difference in shifting performance compared to full 8 speed setups. I'm
also using a 9 speed front derailleur on the hardtail with no fuss.

The only real problem I have is with my splined XT crank/BB setup. It
developed an intermittent clicking noise soon after I installed it last year
that I just can't get rid of no matter what I do. All the trouble-shooting
I've done (including wapping parts around from bike to bike and replacing
the BB) has points directly at the splined BB/crank interface. No amount
of cleaning, tightening or greasing gets rid of it permanently.

KLydesdale wrote:
> I'm running 9 speed cranksets with 8 speed chains, cassettes and
> shifters on two MTBs right now - an XT FC-M760 w/ the integrated BB
> on my hardtail and an XT FC-M752 splined BB set-up on my full rigid
> MTB. I've noticed no real difference in shifting performance
> compared to full 8 speed setups. I'm also using a 9 speed front
> derailleur on the hardtail with no fuss.
>
> The only real problem I have is with my splined XT crank/BB setup.
> It developed an intermittent clicking noise soon after I installed it
> last year that I just can't get rid of no matter what I do. All the
> trouble-shooting I've done (including wapping parts around from bike
> to bike and replacing the BB) has points directly at the splined
> BB/crank interface. No amount of cleaning, tightening or greasing
> gets rid of it permanently.

Check the Powerlink (if applicable) on your chain (sporadic due to gear
combos)???

Bill "tick...tick...tick..." S.

> Site link? .jpgs? ;-)

Hehe. If you insist...

Crankset:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/catalogue/content_prodx.phtml?pid=10205&psid=24

BB:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/catalogue/content_prodx.phtml?pid=11144&psid=24

> What is 'splined' (duh)?

The Shimano website explains it as:

"Octalink Crank Arm Mount

Eight splines on the oversized hollow bottom bracket spindle mate with the
crank arm to form a stronger and more rigid interface."

Thanks,

Jack

"Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:14:08 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've just placed an order for Shimano

LX
> >M571 splined crankset and a 121mm LX ES51 splined BB. Goody!
> >
> >Jack.

> Site link? .jpgs? ;-)
>
> What is 'splined' (duh)?
>
> -B

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:15:06 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Site link? .jpgs? ;-)

>Hehe. If you insist...
>
>Crankset:
>
>http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/catalogue/content_prodx.phtml?pid=10205&psid=24
>
>BB:
>
>http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/catalogue/content_prodx.phtml?pid=11144&psid=24
>
>> What is 'splined' (duh)?

>The Shimano website explains it as:
>
>"Octalink Crank Arm Mount
>
>Eight splines on the oversized hollow bottom bracket spindle mate with the
>crank arm to form a stronger and more rigid interface."
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jack

Thank you! What's the damage on those? Couple hundred US?

Schweet - the crankset just looks wicked. ;-p

-B

Costs:

Crankset = 45 UKP ~ 83 USD

BB = 17 UKP ~ 32 USD

All from www.chainreactioncycles.com

"KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The only real problem I have is with my splined XT crank/BB setup. It
> developed an intermittent clicking noise soon after I installed it last year
> that I just can't get rid of no matter what I do. ...

Loose pedal bearings sometimes sound like BB noise.

Lewis