9sp crankset with 8sp everythingelse - will it work?

Daniel Kelly \

Guest
Hi again,

I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more
choice in 9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But
all the componentry on my bike is currently 8sp. So - will a
9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs, chain and cassette?

I've done some research on the web and I'm now a little
confused. Some people say a 9sp crankset will work just
fine. Others say the 9sp crankset have reprofiled pick-up
teeth that won't work with an 8sp chain so you have to
change the chain to a 9sp chain. The 9sp chain will work
fine with the 8sp cassette and derailleurs. But I'm not keen
on the idea of a 9sp chain because I've read that 9sp
components wear down up to twice as fast as 8sp components.

Help!

I currently have my eye on an M572 LX splined 9sp crankset
and an XT ES71 splined BB.

Thanks, Jack

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:29:42 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi again,
>
>I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far
>more choice in 9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets.
>But all the componentry on my bike is currently 8sp. So -
>will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs, chain and
>cassette?

Yes. There is no problem with that.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug. Some gardening required to