9sp Hubs on old frame

turkeytickler

Mar 23, 2003
Hi there

Quick question...

Ive got a rather old frame with many old bits on it than in time I am hoping to upgrade to Shimano 105.

As a rule, are older frames able to take 9sp hubs or are they not wide enough?

Are 9 sp hubs actually wider??

Thanks

TT

Most older frames had a distance of 120/125mm between the rear dropouts ( inside edges) They then have since moved out to 130mm to accomadate the latest hubs.

If your frame is an older cro-mo steel frame it is reasonably easy to adjust the rear dropouts apart.

Aluminium frames in the early days did have 125mm and are a little harder to ease out, as aluminium is not very flexible....but with a bit of power pulled apart.

A good bike shop should be able to do this for you

Thanks for your advice - sounds promising! I think its a CroMo frame but the chainstays are shiny (excuse my ignorance) polished metal - would that indicate alu?

Does the frame have lugs ...the area where the tubes meet when joining up to another opposing tube (like sockets).

The shiny parts could be chrome if cro-mo steel.

If you have a small magnet see if it will stick to the frame, if it does bingo its cro-mo steel.

Does the bike have a name

Its a Graham Weigh.

I think its bonded as there are no lugs or welding marks. Im pretty sure its a Vitus Frame - the forks certainly are.

PS - got married in ChCh in Jan - lovely country you have (my wife's a kiwi)
:D

Vitus frames were made in aluminium bonded onto internal lugs which give a seamless type finish.

They also were made in carbon fibre ( black tubes) The frames were made to various brand names.

With this type of construction it would pay to have the rear ends professionally eased apart. If it is forced crudely the bonding can be broken and will need reglueing ( araldite).

I am a Kiwi just returned to NZ after 4 years in the UK and Europe in the bike industry....its good to be home! just had an amazing summer here.

All the best to you both.:p