9sp on 7sp cassette hubs (Shimano 600 7sp)

Lloyd Kwong

Guest
Does anyone know what would be required (or if it's possible) to use a 9sp Ultegra cassette on an
older Shimano 600 7sp cassette hub? With 7sp spaced at 126mm and 9sp at 130mm, is it possible to
just buy a 9sp cassette body to use with the 7sp hub? Is the 7sp hub 'wide' enough to support this?
Also, would the wheel have to be re-dished? Would the 9sp cassette have enough room... ie would be
the smallest cog be too close to the frame dropout?

Please cc responses to [email protected], my mail reading doesn't always work. Thanks.

>From: [email protected] (Lloyd Kwong)

>Does anyone know what would be required (or if it's possible) to use a 9sp Ultegra cassette on an
>older Shimano 600 7sp cassette hub?

You can use 8 cogs from a 9 speed cassette on the 7 speed freehub body, or you can replace the
freehub body with an 8/9 speed freehub (keeping the original hub) in which case you should respace
to 130mm and redish the wheel. The axle may be long enough to just add a 4mm spacer to the
non-drive side.

George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

>From: [email protected]

>The axle may be long enough to just add a 4mm spacer to the non-drive side.

Oops, make that "the axle may be long enough" and forget adding the spacer. Must have been thinging
of another problem.

George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

isk-<< Does anyone know what would be required (or if it's possible) to use a 9sp Ultegra cassette
on an older Shimano 600 7sp cassette hub?

porbably just swap the freehub body for a 8/9s one-like first gen 8s Ultegra...

<< is it possible to just buy a 9sp cassette body to use with the 7sp hub?

Can onlyu get 8 of the 9 cogs onto the freehub with 9s spacers..