9sp on 7sp hub?

isk-<< Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded freewheel road wheelset
to run 9sp shimano?

Nope-

[email protected] (tim) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Insurance companies can be bastards and can try all sorts of ploys to get out of paying, you need
> to document today the damage that has been done to both you and your bike.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Tim

Yah, that's what happened to me. I was run down in an intersection and the insurance company starts
giving me a hard time for a $2K bill to replace a D/A equipped bike that looked like a crushed beer
can. I faxed the copy of the police report which documented the woman ran a stop sign and told the
company they could pay up within one week or I'd see a personal injury lawyer. The check came in 4
days. If I had not stuck to my guns I would have not been able to replace the bike. OTOH after they
threw down the gauntlet I should have seen a lawyer, but I just wanted my bike replaced ASAP.

I think if you don't have a police report, you will have a more difficult time.

RE/
>> You may want to visit your doctor tomorrow.
>
>no, as soon as possible after the accident!

Maybe I'm catastrophising, but I'd have to agree with that statement.

You can have a bruise inside your melon and it can bleed painlessly and kill you while you sleep.
Don't quote me, but I *think* that's how Bruce Lee got it.

Now, whether-or-not your average MD is going to be of any use in detecting such a thing is another
question...but personally I'd find myself a doc asap after banging my noggin any harder than usual.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

First of all I want to thank all of you for responding so fast when I needed it.

Several hours after the accident, my wrist was killing me, and my ribs were sore so I took your
advise and went to the doc's that afternoon. He took x-rays and I am just bruised up and have a
badly sprained wrist. My LBS gave me a quote today, and it appears that my bike needs only about
$225 in repairs.

We called the girl that hit me, and now she is fighting to not pay a dime; now the fun starts. I
made a HUGE mistake in all this by not getting a police report at the scene. Since she was
completely in my lane at impact, this would have been a slam dunk. Oh well, live and learn. I try to
be fair with people, but I guess there are those that take advantage.

I am turning in a police report tomorrow with my side of the story, but it may be to little to late.
Is it to late? Any ideas?

So far I am out $500-$700 with meds, repairs, commuting fees (this was my commuter bike), etc.

...Gosh I miss riding

Again, thanks for the advice Michael

> After thousands of road miles, I just had my first serious encounter with a car. I have had 2
> previous crashes, but never with a car, and I am here to tell you, it wasn't fun.
>
> Anyway, I was riding in a main traffic lane of a large parking lot at about 5mph. All of a sudden,
> a young girl pulled out of a parking lane going about 8mph, heading strait for me. I reacted but
> not enough to avoid having her hit me head on and send me flying over the hood of her car. I
> landed well, with my head only slightly hitting the pavement; I thank God I had a helmet on (word
> to the wise, always wear your helmet).
>
> This happened about an hour ago, and I feel better than my bike looks. I think the only damage to
> me is that my wrist feels slightly sprained, again thank God.
>
> Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's
> license and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it
> repaired. Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do?
>
> Any advise is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Michael

Why not just turn the stops in so you can only shift 7 speeds. I had a 7speed shifter that I used on
a 9 speed cassette by shifter only from 2 thru 8 no very small cog nor the largest cog. I then
bought a 9 speed shifter and ran 1 thru 8 as the derailleur had too short a cage to have enough
chain for the largest gear. It just barely would clear and not rub on the small cog.

I finally gave up on my SunTour and got a Shimano LX that will handle all 9 speeds on a
12-34 cassette.
--

Cy Galley - Webmaster www.qcbc.org

news:[email protected]...

Michael James Anderson wrote:

> After thousands of road miles, I just had my first serious encounter with a car.

Firstly I am sorry to hear of your accident.

Now, I wonder, are you the same Michael that posted this on January 10th in the thread "Commuter
Bike thoughts" in rec.bicycles.misc

*************************

> > If you commute on a bike you are going to get hit. What will stand up to getting whacked by a
> > car better.

Gosh, I wouldn't talk about getting hit by a car so lightly. I have ridden well over 10,000 miles,
and I commuted for about 1.5 years, and I thank the Lord that I have never been hit by a car and I
pray I never will. Don't get me wrong, I have had some close calls. But I always think of the cars
that are out there when I ride, and even when some Loser driver has seemed to TRY to hit me,
thankfully I have always avoided the collision.

You may not want to focus so much on what bike, but rather some good reflectors and learn how to
ride as safely as possible.

*************************

Not wanting to sound off about "pride coming before a fall" or something, but you must agree it is
slightly ironic that you should post such a statement less than a month before your accident. Now
maybe you understand what the original poster meant. It happens to all of us at sometime or another.
Is there an experienced cyclist out there who has NEVER been hit? I once read in an English cycling
magazine that there were two types of cyclist, those that have had accidents and those that are
going to have accidents.

> Anyway, I was riding in a main traffic lane of a large parking lot at about 5mph. All of a sudden,
> a young girl pulled out of a parking lane going about 8mph, heading strait for me.

I had a very similar encounter with a car here in Sweden in 1994.

After 7 years of riding I had my first vehicle encounter. Sep 13th 1994.

A Polish immigrant lady driver turned in front of me at about the same speed as you stated. I hit
the side of her car and flew over the hood, landing in front. She panicked and hit the gas pedal
instead of the brake pedal. I must have already been contemplating the "what-if" in my subconscious
mind as I did a "Starsky and Hutch" roll out of the way of the car as she continued on her way over
the spot were I had landed before she came screeching to a halt.

> I landed well, with my head only slightly hitting the pavement; I thank God I had a helmet on
> (word to the wise, always wear your helmet).

I too also slightly scraped the ground with the helmet (but let's not go down that road, - you know,
"stopping to put our helmets on puts us in a slightly different place in the traffic so our
accidents could by definition of time not have happened", or "our heads weigh more with helmets on
that's why we hit our heads" or "the car driver presumed we were indestructible and didn't give us
enough consideration.) - Nuff said, back to my accident account.

Two school janitors painting a fence were nearby and saw the entire episode. They came running over
as I lay there shocked and with pain in my wrist and a small amount of blood on my face. I thought
they were coming to my aid. No. They ran past me, jumped over my broken bike and opened the door of
the car. Were they going to beat the woman up? Were they off-duty cyclists who were going to enact
the ultimate cyclists revenge on a bad driver? No and No! - The woman was screaming. They opened the
car door because they were concerned about her. She didn't have scratch on her. I then heard one of
them say "Look what a dent he has made in the side of your car". I couldn't believe it. I lay there,
my pride and joy of the last 6 years lay in pieces, the front wheel was demolished, the forks were
broken, the frame was buckled. And these two jokers were more concerned about her welfare and a
slight dent in her car. (The sort of dent that you can easily bash back out).

I am unsure of my speed at the time, but I did have a computer on the bike which was maxed at
21mph. That would have been a down a hill a mile before the accident. As I was not actually out
training at the time I was probably not doing more than 10 mph. I did have bike clothes on which
may have given the impression I was going faster than I was. I was on my way to a friends and we
were about to go training.

Anyway, I didn't get a police report, I didn't have so much pain at first. I was more numb than in
pain. I exchanged details with the driver. I then went to the police station to make sure she was
the owner of the car. (The vehicle registry is public domain in Sweden, you tell the police the car
number, they tell you the name and address of the owner). It was not her car, but her husbands, the
police checked up that she had a valid license. (Again, public domain).

The policeman I talked to suggested I go to hospital anyway for a check up. I did and I was x-rayed.
I explained what had happened to the X-ray doctor. He was very understanding and thought that some
drivers didn't deserve to be on the road. Then he was called away to a phone call whilst I was
there. He then came back and said that another doctor would be taking over the case. Turns out it
was his wife that had hit me with HIS car. Well, I lived in a small community at the time. Still
pretty amazing, Polish driver, English cyclist, Polish doctor, in Sweden. Anyway, it transpired that
I had a broken wrist so I was plastered.

I had my bike valued at a local shop. Later that evening the driver phoned me up and said she
guessed that my bike was worth $150 and as I was "going very fast" she reckoned she didn't have to
pay more that half. She said that it was 50-50 so she offered me $75. I understood she didn't want
to lose her "no-claims" bonus. Anyway, I refused and told her I would be contacting her insurance
company. Less than a month later I received a check for $4500. This covered loss of earnings, pain
and discomfort, cost of replacing bike. The insurers understood that this was not an "off-the-peg"
bike so they allowed me to specify every replacement part individually.

Though I made a settlement with her insurers I refused to sign a "final" settlement at the time. I
kept it open for three years, I was entitled to more money if the damage to my wrist turned out to
be long term. Although I still have slight pains in my wrist, they are very slight and mainly when
riding in the winters.

> Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last,

My friend, just pray that you NEVER have YOUR "last" accident.

As we are in different countries I can't help you as much as the American posters.

But...

The frame of your bike may have damage that only shows up on X-ray. Don't make a final settlement,
keep it open. And as this was your first accident, your pride may have taken a dent and you might
delay a return to the saddle longer than is necessary. Don't delay. Get back as soon as you can.
Ride a training bike at a gym, ride around a park, ride ride ride.

Good luck, hope you make a complete and speedy recovery.

Garry Jones English cyclist, ResIDING in Sweden.

Garry Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

<snipped great story - loved the part about the driver being the doctor's wife!>

>My friend, just pray that you NEVER have YOUR "last" accident.

I pray I've ALREADY HAD my "last" accident... ;-)

On 4 Feb 2003, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>isk-<< Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded freewheel road wheelset
>to run 9sp shimano?
>
>Nope-

I'm curious as to what is being attempted here. To the original poster: Are you trying to upgrade an
older bike to 9sp? Or are you trying to take an older wheel and use it on a newer bike???

If it's the second case, It's hard to imagine a 700 wheel with a threaded hub, but I guess it could
be 700. At this point in the space time contiuium, I'd think that most threaded hubs are laced to 27
INCH wheels. If so, this wheel is not going to fit on a modern bike as the brakes will be
incorrectly located to the rim.

If it's the first question, how about the spacing on the back of the frame? There a jump between
7sp and 9 sp and if the frame is steel, you can probably stretch it. And if was a 7 sp bike, I bet
it's steel.

What is being cobbled together here anyway? :)

From: John B. Rees [email protected] http://www.jrees.net/

In article <[email protected]>, John Rees <[email protected]> wrote:
>On 4 Feb 2003, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>>isk-<< Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded freewheel road wheelset
>>to run 9sp shimano?
>>
>>Nope-
>>

>I'm curious as to what is being attempted here. To the original poster: Are you trying to upgrade
>an older bike to 9sp? Or are you trying to take an older wheel and use it on a newer bike???
>
>If it's the second case, It's hard to imagine a 700 wheel with a threaded hub, but I guess it
>could be 700.

Of course it could be 700, there are zillions of threaded 700c wheels out there, they came on almost
all new road bikes until the late
1980s.

> At this point in the space time contiuium, I'd think that most threaded hubs are laced to 27 INCH
> wheels.

Don't agree with that guess.

> If so, this wheel is not going to fit on a modern bike as the brakes will be incorrectly located
> to the rim.
>
>If it's the first question, how about the spacing on the back of the frame? There a jump between
>7sp and 9 sp and if the frame is steel, you can probably stretch it. And if was a 7 sp bike, I bet
>it's steel.

More likely steel but there are 7-speed aluminum bikes aplenty, Trek, Klein, Cannondale, etc.

The solution for the original poster is to rebuild the wheel with a cassette hub for 9s (and respace
the frame if necessary) or get 8s shifters to use on a 7s freewheel.

It would be interesting if someone made a 7s or 8s freewheel with 9s spacing, that would be a useful
repair product that would allow people on 126mm spaced aluminum bikes to buy current shifters.

--Paul

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:uew0a.31874$A%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, John Rees
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On 4 Feb 2003, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> >
> >>isk-<< Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp
threaded
> >>freewheel road wheelset to run 9sp shimano?
> >>
> >>Nope-
> >>

> >I'm curious as to what is being attempted here. To the original poster:
Are
> >you trying to upgrade an older bike to 9sp? Or are you trying to take an
older
> >wheel and use it on a newer bike???
> >
> >If it's the second case, It's hard to imagine a 700 wheel with a threaded
hub,
> >but I guess it could be 700.
>
> Of course it could be 700, there are zillions of threaded 700c wheels out there, they came on
> almost all new road bikes until the late
> 1980s.
>
> > At this point in the space time contiuium, I'd think that most threaded hubs are laced to 27
> > INCH wheels.
>
> Don't agree with that guess.
>
> > If so, this wheel is not going to fit on a modern bike as the brakes will be incorrectly
located
> >to the rim.
> >
> >If it's the first question, how about the spacing on the back of the
frame?
> >There a jump between 7sp and 9 sp and if the frame is steel, you can
probably
> >stretch it. And if was a 7 sp bike, I bet it's steel.
>
> More likely steel but there are 7-speed aluminum bikes aplenty, Trek, Klein, Cannondale, etc.
>
> The solution for the original poster is to rebuild the wheel with a cassette hub for 9s (and
> respace the frame if necessary) or get 8s shifters to use on a 7s freewheel.
>
> It would be interesting if someone made a 7s or 8s freewheel with 9s spacing, that would be a
> useful repair product that would allow people on 126mm spaced aluminum bikes to buy current
> shifters.
>
> --Paul

The market for such a freewheel would be so limited that it would probably be a waste of time. Those
that are still riding 7sp probably wouldn't spend the $$ to upgrade to the new shifters, either out
of "retro-grouchiness" or just don't see the need.

Mike

"John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On 4 Feb 2003, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> >isk-<< Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp
threaded
> >freewheel road wheelset to run 9sp shimano?
> >
> >Nope-
> >

> I'm curious as to what is being attempted here. To the original poster:
Are
> you trying to upgrade an older bike to 9sp? Or are you trying to take an
older
> wheel and use it on a newer bike???
>
> If it's the second case, It's hard to imagine a 700 wheel with a threaded
hub,
> but I guess it could be 700. At this point in the space time contiuium,
I'd
> think that most threaded hubs are laced to 27 INCH wheels. If so, this
wheel
> is not going to fit on a modern bike as the brakes will be incorrectly
located
> to the rim.
>
> If it's the first question, how about the spacing on the back of the
frame?
> There a jump between 7sp and 9 sp and if the frame is steel, you can
probably
> stretch it. And if was a 7 sp bike, I bet it's steel.
>
> What is being cobbled together here anyway? :)

I wondered that too. Regarding your comment about freewheels, there are plenty of 2003 freewheel
bikes on showroom floors right now.

Our basic fat 700 replacement wheel ("cross terrain", "hybrid", etc) sells four to one on the
cassette side. Yes cassettes are dominant but not the entire market.

Skinnier, lighter, more expensive wheels (double-wall like Campagnolo Montreal, Velocity Razor, etc)
are something like 98% cassette. 27 inch wheels are the reverse - 98% freewheel. Cheap mountain bike
wheels are 100% freewheel with steel rims and about 2/3 cassette with aluminum rims.

Service of course is mostly to bikes three to ten years old and as such a lagging
indicator of trends

[email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote

> More likely steel but there are 7-speed aluminum bikes aplenty, Trek, Klein, Cannondale, etc.
>
> The solution for the original poster is to rebuild the wheel with a cassette hub for 9s (and
> respace the frame if necessary) or get 8s shifters to use on a 7s freewheel.
>
> It would be interesting if someone made a 7s or 8s freewheel with 9s spacing, that would be a
> useful repair product that would allow people on 126mm spaced aluminum bikes to buy current
> shifters.

The alternate cable routing on a Shimano derailleur allows it to move farther for a given cable
pull. This is said to work to allow a 9s shifter to shift a Shimano derailleur (except old Dura
Ace) over 8 speed spacing, and it would probably work to shift over 7s spacing since that's
practically the same.

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

(I have not done this but do have a Shimano 8s shifter shifting over a Sachs 7s freewheel with the
standard cable routing.)

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:50:08 -0800, Michael James Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>After thousands of road miles, I just had my first serious encounter with a car. I have had 2
>previous crashes, but never with a car, and I am here to tell you, it wasn't fun.
>
>Anyway, I was riding in a main traffic lane of a large parking lot at about 5mph. All of a sudden,
>a young girl pulled out of a parking lane going about 8mph, heading strait for me. I reacted but
>not enough to avoid having her hit me head on and send me flying over the hood of her car. I landed
>well, with my head only slightly hitting the pavement; I thank God I had a helmet on (word to the
>wise, always wear your helmet).
>
>This happened about an hour ago, and I feel better than my bike looks. I think the only damage to
>me is that my wrist feels slightly sprained, again thank God.
>
>Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's
>license and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it
>repaired. Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do?
>
>Any advise is greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Michael

ALWAYS call the police! Besides the insurance isues, you may be preventing a future bicycle accident
by having a dangerous driver ticketed or even arrested if driving illegally.

If for no other reason, it adds to the bicycle safety statistics and may be of use when local bike
safety issues come up for approval and funding.

cu Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Michael James Anderson wrote:
>
> > Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's
> > license and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it
> > repaired. Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do?
>
> The inimitable Tom Revay has an excellent article on this, see:
> http://www.massbikeboston.org/resources/crash.htm

I don't think I've ever been called "inimitable" before! "Unfathomable," "interminable,"
"un-sing-able" (as in the Knights of the Round Table song), yes ...

... but I'm glad you like it!

Tom "Unspelllable" Revay

> Sheldon "Ouch!" Brown +-----------------------------------+
> | A smoking section in a | restaurant is like a peeing | section in a swimming pool |
> +-----------------------------------+

Which causes me to recall what W.C. Fields said about water ...

> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
> http://sheldonbrown.com

snip Oh! Captain, my Captain!

> > | A smoking section in a | restaurant is like a peeing | section in a swimming pool |
>
> Which causes me to recall what W.C. Fields said about water ...
>

> > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

ROTFLMAO

So hard that I hurt my ribs.

Fish for dinner??