9sp on 7sp hub?

Lloyd Kwong

Guest
Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded freewheel road wheelset to run
9sp shimano?

Thanks.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:22:58 GMT, [email protected] (Lloyd Kwong) wrote:

>Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded freewheel road wheelset to run
>9sp shimano?
>
>Thanks.

Not sure I follow.. AFAIK there are no 9 speed thread ons available..

check out

www.sheldonbrown.com hopefully there will be answers to your questions there..

thanks to Sheldon I have 9 speed ultegra brifters running my 7 speed Dura-Ace cassette + derailleur
(Mavic Hubs) (frame is spaced for 7 speed.)

I replaced the cassette body and axle on my (pre paralax) 7 speed XT hubs with 9 speed and am
running a combo of XTR -XT-LX 9 speed on one of my mountain bikes.

>Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded freewheel road wheelset to run
>9sp shimano?

Unless someone makes a 9spd freewheel,I don't think anyone does, the answer is no.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Lloyd Kwong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded
freewheel
> road wheelset to run 9sp shimano?
>
> Thanks.

You may be able to get away with running an 8sp FW with your Shimano 9, but noone makes a 9sp FW. I
was hoping Sachs would 'cause at one point I had several really nice sets of FW wheels. You'll
probably need a longer axle and to re-dish the rear wheel to fit 8sp/130mm spacing.

You can always break apart the FW and try and sand down the spacers to get at least most of the
spacing right.

Anyone else?

After thousands of road miles, I just had my first serious encounter with a car. I have had 2
previous crashes, but never with a car, and I am here to tell you, it wasn't fun.

Anyway, I was riding in a main traffic lane of a large parking lot at about 5mph. All of a sudden, a
young girl pulled out of a parking lane going about 8mph, heading strait for me. I reacted but not
enough to avoid having her hit me head on and send me flying over the hood of her car. I landed
well, with my head only slightly hitting the pavement; I thank God I had a helmet on (word to the
wise, always wear your helmet).

This happened about an hour ago, and I feel better than my bike looks. I think the only damage to me
is that my wrist feels slightly sprained, again thank God.

Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's license
and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it repaired. Since
this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

#1 piece of advice I can give is, if you haven't already done so, get to a
doctor. TODAY! Insurance companies don't take claims very seriously if you don't bother going to a
doctor, even if it appears there's no need. Some even have a "schedule" whereby they automatically
reduce the amount of claim by "x" percent based on how many days before you saw a doctor
(seriously).

If the accident were so minor there was little damage to the bike and nothing to you, then there'd
be no reason to go. But you at least sprained your wrist, and what you sometimes find is that you
don't notice just how sore you really are until two or three days later.

(Yes, I've been through this one myself, only it was the loss of a front tooth when a car suddenly
backed out of a driveway into me).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

"Michael James Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> After thousands of road miles, I just had my first serious encounter with a car. I have had 2
> previous crashes, but never with a car, and I am here to tell you, it wasn't fun.
>
> Anyway, I was riding in a main traffic lane of a large parking lot at about 5mph. All of a sudden,
> a young girl pulled out of a parking lane going about 8mph, heading strait for me. I reacted but
> not enough to avoid having her hit me head on and send me flying over the hood of her car. I
> landed well, with my head only slightly hitting the pavement; I thank God I had a helmet on (word
> to the wise, always wear your helmet).
>
> This happened about an hour ago, and I feel better than my bike looks. I think the only damage to
> me is that my wrist feels slightly sprained, again thank God.
>
> Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's
> license and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it
> repaired. Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do?
>
> Any advise is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Michael

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>After thousands of road miles, I just had my first serious encounter with a car. I have had 2
>previous crashes, but never with a car, and I am here to tell you, it wasn't fun. Anyway, I was
>riding in a main traffic lane of a large parking lot at about 5mph. All of a sudden, a young girl
>pulled out of a parking lane going about 8mph, heading strait for me. I reacted but not enough to
>avoid having her hit me head on and send me flying over the hood of her car. I landed well, with my
>head only slightly hitting the pavement; I thank God I had a helmet on (word to the wise, always
>wear your helmet). This happened about an hour ago, and I feel better than my bike looks. I think
>the only damage to me is that my wrist feels slightly sprained, again thank God. Anyway, what
>advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's license and
>insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it repaired. Since
>this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do? Any advise is greatly
>appreciated.

Get check out by a doctor. Tomorrow you probably won't feel as good as you do today. You should also
see about getting a police report.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

In article <[email protected]>, Michael James Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>After thousands of road miles, I just had my first serious encounter with a car. I have had 2
>previous crashes, but never with a car, and I am here to tell you, it wasn't fun.
>
>Anyway, I was riding in a main traffic lane of a large parking lot at about 5mph. All of a sudden,
>a young girl pulled out of a parking lane going about 8mph, heading strait for me. I reacted but
>not enough to avoid having her hit me head on and send me flying over the hood of her car. I landed
>well, with my head only slightly hitting the pavement; I thank God I had a helmet on (word to the
>wise, always wear your helmet).
>
>This happened about an hour ago, and I feel better than my bike looks. I think the only damage to
>me is that my wrist feels slightly sprained, again thank God.
>
>Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's
>license and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it
>repaired. Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do?
>
>Any advise is greatly appreciated.

If you hit your head, go to the hospital. The rest can wait til later.

I would have the bike photographed and inspected, and get an estimate, but not fix it til you know
what happens next.

--Paul

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:22:58 GMT, [email protected] (Lloyd Kwong) wrote:

>Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded freewheel road wheelset to run
>9sp shimano?
>
>Thanks.

No

Michael James Anderson wrote:

> Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's
> license and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it
> repaired. Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do?

The inimitable Tom Revay has an excellent article on this, see:

http://www.massbikeboston.org/resources/crash.htm

Sheldon "Ouch!" Brown +-----------------------------------+
| A smoking section in a | restaurant is like a peeing | section in a swimming pool |
+-----------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<rlz%[email protected]>...

> You can always break apart the FW and try and sand down the spacers to get at least most of the
> spacing right.

Good Luck with that.....your best bet is to spend the money and get a 9 speed CASSETTE hub....

Glad you're OK. I would think you'd want to get a quote first from your LBS, then talk to the girl
(did you ger her number?) and discuss if she wants to get insurance involved. At least with cars in
Illinois, if it's under $500, you legally need to file a police report. If it's more, I think you're
supposed to. Perhaps ask YOUR insurance? These are just ideas, by no means do I know for sure what
I'm talking about. Best of luck, hope the frame isn't hurt. Matt

news:<[email protected]>...

[email protected] (Lloyd Kwong) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded freewheel road wheelset to run
> 9sp shimano?
>
> Thanks.

I have the same problem and I have concluded with a project where I try to make new 2.5 mm thick
spacers for a 7-speed freewheel and add one cog to make an 8-speed freewheel spaced for 9 speed.

The lockring on a Shimano 7-speed freewheel has the same thread as the thread on cog on an old 6-
speed Shimano freewheel. Thus this will be the added cog. This new freewheel will have
approximately the same total thickness as the original 7-speed freewheel The original freewheel has
a depth equal: 1.85
+ 6*5=31.85. The new 8 speed freewheel will have thickness equal 1.85 + 7*4.35= 32.23.

Jacob Stang

Michael James Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a
> car? I got the girl's license and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this
> afternoon to have it repaired. Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I
> make sure I do?
>
> Any advise is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Michael

Glad to hear you're OK. That's number one. Using 20-20 hindsight, calling the police would have been
your best move. Since your accident occured on private property, an accident report would have
eliminated the he-said-she-said that often occurs when a car driver does not want to accept
resposibility. Hopefully, the driver will step up and her insurance will pay to fix/replace your
bike. You may want to visit your doctor tomorrow. Just because you feel fine now doesn't mean you'll
feel fine in 24 hours. Any bills you receive for any treatments or perscriptions should be forwarded
to her insurance company for reimbursement. Good luck.

Art

In my 2 experiences, both of which were at speed and had witnesses, the insurance companies paid for
my equipment within 10 days. The bike shop gave me estimates to repair to new conditon.

Don't assume your not hurt and do ask what the insurance company will pay you for pain and
suffering.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:50:08 -0800, Michael James Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyway, what advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's
>license and insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it
>repaired. Since this is a first for me, and hopefully last, what should I make sure I do?

Michael James Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> After thousands of road miles, I just had my first serious encounter with a car. Anyway, what
> advise can you give on what one does after a crash with a car? I got the girl's license and
> insurance info, and I plan on taking my bike to my LBS this afternoon to have it repaired.
------------
hopefully you waited for the police to come file a report? maybe got a couple witnesses?

probably if you contact the girls insurance, with police report they will fall all over you to get
you to sign a release.

dont sign anything until you have repaired/replaced your bike and made sure you dont have any
surprise medical problems. I dont encourage lawsuit, but make sure everything is taken care of
before you sign anything.

Two things I would do straight away -

First, get a camera with a date and time stamp and take some photos of the damage to your bike - you
want incontravertible proof that the damage occurred today.

Second thing I would do is go to a doctor and have him check you out, if you have had a blow to the
head, even with a helmet on, there is the chance of concussion. He will also check you out for
other damage
- you may not feel it now but in a day or two you may be very sore. If any good bruises come out,
make sure you photograph them too.

Insurance companies can be bastards and can try all sorts of ploys to get out of paying, you need to
document today the damage that has been done to both you and your bike.

Hope this helps

Tim

"Lloyd Kwong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there a way (without replacing the hubs) to adapt a 7sp threaded
freewheel
> road wheelset to run 9sp shimano?

Not really.

If you need/desire a second wheel and are unwilling/unable to just buy a wheel, you might get a
scrap 8speed* cassette mountain bike wheel** from behind a bike shop in the scrap pile and rebuild
that hub on a rim you own, such as the one that's presently seven speed freewheel. That's virtually
free, depending on the value of your time and attention. There are many incremental steps between
that extreme example and just buying a a wheel.

Freewheels were already marginal for eight speed and no one bothered with nine.

*Modern Shimano cassette bodies accept 8 or 9 gears. **This is a commonly trashed wheel, yet the
hubs are usually serviceable.

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:41:52 -0500 in rec.bicycles.tech, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The inimitable Tom Revay has an excellent article on this, see:
>
> http://www.massbikeboston.org/resources/crash.htm

pay special attention to the mention that if you landed on your helmet, it MUST be replaced! be sure
to keep thorough notes, with date, place, and time of EVERY thing you do related to the accident ---
doc visits, bike shop visits, etc. if you miss any work, keep track of how many hours because the
driver's insurance
co. owes you any lost wages.

when you file a claim with the drivers' insurance co., ask for EVERY cent you are owed. if the bike
is damaged enough that the repairs exceed the replacement cost, they owe you a new bike.

On 3 Feb 2003 15:59:58 -0800 in rec.bicycles.tech, [email protected] (Art) wrote:

> You may want to visit your doctor tomorrow.

no, as soon as possible after the accident!