9sp to 10sp gear changing

deanobangnang

Oct 21, 2014
Changing out my dura ace 7700 shifters to some newer 105 shifters. I see im gettin an extra gear. Right now I have 26-11. Been lookin at cassestes an I would like a 11-32. Will that be too much of cross chain when in big ring front an big ring rear? I no I need more chain, new chain an also cables in the mail. What should be my concerns? Am I over thinking it? I just don't wanna rewrap bars new cables an all an find out the RD is being over worked. Will the D arm be stretching too far? Was looking at putting a carbon cage on my RD anyway, longer arm? I ride a lot. Thank you!

Were you going to change to a 10-speed cassette?

• the PULL rate is different for 10-speed & 9-speed shifters
  • there are workarounds

Your current rear derailleur can probably handle a 32t Cog ...

• if it doesn't, then swapping the 11t UPPER pulley wheel with a 10t pulley wheel will give you the necessary clearance ...
  • depending on your Chainring combination, a longer cage would probably be a good idea ... if you are only using a Single chainring, then no worries ...

IMO, you are probably better off simply buying/using an XT/XTR rear derailleur rather than changing the current cage for an long carbon fiber cage.

If you swap to a 10-speed chain (probably "recommended"), you will have to change the front derailleur, too ...

• NOT NECESSARILY RECOMMENDED, but I have been able to shift on a 10-speed Shimano-compatible (IRD, 11-30) cassette with a 9-speed Shimano chain with Campagnolo shifters ... I do NOT know how dodgy the shifting will be with Shimano shifters
  • but, you may want to try your current 9-speed chain before installing a 10-speed Shimano chain (and subsequently, a requisite 10-speed front derailleur) on your bike

The effects of cross chaining depend on how long your chainstays are.

Yes changing the cassette and chain all new drivetrain trying to do it, it's really expensive those two front rings. Any recommendations on some gold chain rings in the front would be awesome, fairly cheap would be nice to. Soaking all of that in, absolutely beautiful! I have a little tear on my when I was reading it absolutely beautiful thank you so much I will get back to you and let you know what I got and thankfully I do have an xTR derailer laying around, didn't even think about that!