9spd chain compatible on 8spd system?

wolter

Apr 17, 2004
Can you use a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed system? For instance, can a Shimano CN7701 be used with a Shimano XTR 8 spd cassette, all components are 8spd?

Can you just remove links to make the 9 spd fit? And does the difference in width (narrow vs. super narrow) matter?

Thanks!

Originally posted by wolter
Can you use a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed system? For instance, can a Shimano CN7701 be used with a Shimano XTR 8 spd cassette, all components are 8spd?

Can you just remove links to make the 9 spd fit? And does the difference in width (narrow vs. super narrow) matter?

Thanks!

It will work.
Removing links shortens the chain, but it doesn't change it's width.
CN7701 is a very expensive chain.
Why not use a 7/8 speed chain?

Originally posted by wolter

Thanks!
The narrower width can sometimes be an issue with triple front chainring systems. If you have an IG drivetrain, Shimano claims it's best to stick with the correct IG chain, but Sram says their chains work ok with IG. As the OP said,I also see no point to a 9 speed chain unless you got it free and then it cost nothing to try it.

I tried this once - ONCE! It SHOULD have worked fine but I threw the chain off the inside chainring on almost every front downshift no matter how careful I was being. I could NOT get it adjusted to shift properly - I finally mangled it up so badly I had to take the rear wheel off to untangle the chain from the bottom bracket and one link was twisted so I admitted defeat and got a new 8-speed chain - problem immediately solved.

I council against it.

I tried this once - ONCE! It SHOULD have worked fine but I threw the chain off the inside chainring on almost every front downshift
Yikes! Thanks all for the info. I was only considering it cuz I frequently see CN7701 chains on eBay, rarely 8spd such as CN-HG91.

I'll steer clear.

i have a question. me and my friend were fixing our moutain bike, and then the chain got all tangled up and we dont noe wut 2 do. How do i untangle the bike chain? i need responds asap.