9spd chainring on 8spd bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Douglas Landau, May 27, 2003.

  1. Greetings,

    I have read here that it will work, but would the 9spd ring not wear more quickly because
    it's thinner?

    I don't see any appropriate 8spd chainrings on the nashbar website.

    Also, Nashbar has similar sounding 9 spd Shimano chainrings:

    #YC-CR5500B Direct 9-speed, 105 (5500 series) replacement chainrings for Shimano road cranks.
    Silver. Specify Teeth: 50 or 52t.

    #SH-CR5500 9 speed 105 (5500 series) replacement chainrings. 52 and 53B mate to the 39T ring.
    Specify Ring: 39, 42, 52, 53A, or 53B.

    Can anyone tell explain the difference?

    TIA Doug

    Tags:

  2. dkl-<< I have read here that it will work, but would the 9spd ring not wear more quickly because
    it's thinner?

    Most are not thinner, just some are closer togehter, but not thinner-

  3. Andy M-S

    Andy M-S Guest

    [email protected] (Douglas Landau) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have read here that it will work, but would the 9spd ring not wear more quickly because it's
    > thinner?
    >
    > I don't see any appropriate 8spd chainrings on the nashbar website.
    >
    > Also, Nashbar has similar sounding 9 spd Shimano chainrings:
    >
    > #YC-CR5500B Direct 9-speed, 105 (5500 series) replacement chainrings for Shimano road cranks.
    > Silver. Specify Teeth: 50 or 52t.
    >
    > #SH-CR5500 9 speed 105 (5500 series) replacement chainrings. 52 and 53B mate to the 39T ring.
    > Specify Ring: 39, 42, 52, 53A, or 53B.
    >
    > Can anyone tell explain the difference?
    >
    > TIA Doug

    There's passing little difference between 8- and 9-speed rings. You should have no problems. As for
    the difference, I'd guess that the #YC rings are not manufactured by Shimano, where as the #SH are.
    One's compatible, the other is OEM...

  4. On 28 May 2003 13:23:19 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >dkl-<< I have read here that it will work, but would the 9spd ring not wear more quickly because
    >it's thinner?
    >
    >Most are not thinner, just some are closer togehter, but not thinner-

    So why are they closer together? Regardless of how many sprockets you have, it would seem that
    cassettes only get wider as there are more sprockets on, so narrowing the crankset would just kill
    the chainline dead even further than it already goes..

    Jasper

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > [email protected] (Douglas Landau) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Greetings, I have read here that it will work, but would the 9spd ring not wear more quickly
    > > because it's thinner?
    > >
    > > I don't see any appropriate 8spd chainrings on the nashbar website.
    > >
    > > Also, Nashbar has similar sounding 9 spd Shimano chainrings:
    > >
    > > #YC-CR5500B Direct 9-speed, 105 (5500 series) replacement chainrings
    for
    > > Shimano road cranks. Silver. Specify Teeth: 50 or 52t.
    > >
    > > #SH-CR5500 9 speed 105 (5500 series) replacement chainrings. 52 and
    53B
    > > mate to the 39T ring. Specify Ring: 39, 42, 52, 53A, or
    53B.

    > > Can anyone tell explain the difference?

    "Andy M-S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's passing little difference between 8- and 9-speed rings. You should have no problems. As
    > for the difference, I'd guess that the #YC rings are not manufactured by Shimano, where as the #SH
    > are. One's compatible, the other is OEM...

    Can't speak for Nashbar but there are two series of Shimano rings. The Ultegra series are full
    thickness but the 105 are quite a bit thinner, similar to Veloce vs. Chorus rings.

    Almost never an issue with 7/8/9/10 speed chainrings in any system. The tooth profile is not
    thinner, the ring is just positioned closer to the other ring.