9speed chainring on an 8speed crankset - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Haluk Okur, May 1, 2003.

  1. Haluk Okur

    Haluk Okur Guest

    Hi all,

    My bike's groupset is 8speed Deore LX. I'm expecting the middle chainring to wear out first and
    looking for a replacement. Recently I came across some 9speed chainrings and asked the lbs guy if I
    could use them on my crankset. He recommended against it. He said that they are thinner and and an
    8speed chain would cause some sideplay on the chainring which in turn would cause premature wear on
    the new chainring.

    This didn't sound logical to me. What do you guys think about it?
    ---
    Haluk Okur - Istanbul

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    You could perhaps put a thin washer between the new ring and the crank.

    "Haluk Okur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My bike's groupset is 8speed Deore LX. I'm expecting the middle chainring
    to wear out first and looking for a replacement. Recently
    > I came across some 9speed chainrings and asked the lbs guy if I could use
    them on my crankset. He recommended against it. He said
    > that they are thinner and and an 8speed chain would cause some sideplay on
    the chainring which in turn would cause premature wear on
    > the new chainring.
    >
    > This didn't sound logical to me. What do you guys think about it?
    > ---
    > Haluk Okur - Istanbul

  3. Haluk Okur

    Haluk Okur Guest

    What the lbs guy told me was that a wider chain -the chain itself- would have some sideplay
    on a thinner chainring. I doubt a washer could help here. The chainring itself fits the
    crankset properly.
    ---
    Haluk Okur - Istanbul

  4. Haluk Okur <[email protected]> wrote:
    : What the lbs guy told me was that a wider chain -the chain itself- would have some sideplay on a
    : thinner chainring. I doubt a washer could help here. The chainring itself fits the crankset
    : properly.
    : ---
    : Haluk Okur - Istanbul

    I'm running 9-speed FSA rings on an 8-speed crank - been doing so for about 18 months. I had to put
    shims under one of the rings because the 8-speed chain would just zoom right by the smaller ring on
    a downshift, that is, jump right off and onto the bottom bracket.

    As for wear, I don't see anything atypical..

    Hope this helps.

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  5. Haluk Okur

    Haluk Okur Guest

    "Lindsay Rowlands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm running 9-speed FSA rings on an 8-speed crank - been doing so for about 18 months. I had to
    > put shims under one of the rings because the 8-speed chain would just zoom right by the smaller
    > ring on a downshift, that is, jump right off and onto the bottom bracket.
    >
    > As for wear, I don't see anything atypical..
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Cheerz, Lynzz

    Thanks, I think I'll do the same. I don't hope to find the correct rings here...
    ---
    Haluk Okur - Istanbul