9speed chainring on an 8speed crankset - is it possible?

Haluk Okur

Guest
Hi all,

My bike's groupset is 8speed Deore LX. I'm expecting the middle chainring to wear out first and
looking for a replacement. Recently I came across some 9speed chainrings and asked the lbs guy if I
could use them on my crankset. He recommended against it. He said that they are thinner and and an
8speed chain would cause some sideplay on the chainring which in turn would cause premature wear on
the new chainring.

This didn't sound logical to me. What do you guys think about it?
---
Haluk Okur - Istanbul

You could perhaps put a thin washer between the new ring and the crank.

"Haluk Okur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> My bike's groupset is 8speed Deore LX. I'm expecting the middle chainring
to wear out first and looking for a replacement. Recently
> I came across some 9speed chainrings and asked the lbs guy if I could use
them on my crankset. He recommended against it. He said
> that they are thinner and and an 8speed chain would cause some sideplay on
the chainring which in turn would cause premature wear on
> the new chainring.
>
> This didn't sound logical to me. What do you guys think about it?
> ---
> Haluk Okur - Istanbul

What the lbs guy told me was that a wider chain -the chain itself- would have some sideplay
on a thinner chainring. I doubt a washer could help here. The chainring itself fits the
crankset properly.
---
Haluk Okur - Istanbul

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Uhdsa.693888$F1.91493@sccrnsc04...
> You could perhaps put a thin washer between the new ring and the crank.
>

> "Haluk Okur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My bike's groupset is 8speed Deore LX. I'm expecting the middle chainring
> to wear out first and looking for a replacement. Recently
> > I came across some 9speed chainrings and asked the lbs guy if I could use
> them on my crankset. He recommended against it. He said
> > that they are thinner and and an 8speed chain would cause some sideplay on
> the chainring which in turn would cause premature wear on
> > the new chainring.
> >
> > This didn't sound logical to me. What do you guys think about it?
> > ---
> > Haluk Okur - Istanbul

Haluk Okur <[email protected]> wrote:
: What the lbs guy told me was that a wider chain -the chain itself- would have some sideplay on a
: thinner chainring. I doubt a washer could help here. The chainring itself fits the crankset
: properly.
: ---
: Haluk Okur - Istanbul

I'm running 9-speed FSA rings on an 8-speed crank - been doing so for about 18 months. I had to put
shims under one of the rings because the 8-speed chain would just zoom right by the smaller ring on
a downshift, that is, jump right off and onto the bottom bracket.

As for wear, I don't see anything atypical..

Hope this helps.

Cheerz, Lynzz

"Lindsay Rowlands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm running 9-speed FSA rings on an 8-speed crank - been doing so for about 18 months. I had to
> put shims under one of the rings because the 8-speed chain would just zoom right by the smaller
> ring on a downshift, that is, jump right off and onto the bottom bracket.
>
> As for wear, I don't see anything atypical..
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheerz, Lynzz

Thanks, I think I'll do the same. I don't hope to find the correct rings here...
---
Haluk Okur - Istanbul