a 300PT or Power tap on bike?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Shademan, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Shademan

Shademan New Member

I'm debating whether to get the Cycleops 300PT or getting the Power Tap for my bike. I like the idea of a complete trainer so that I won't put any wear and on my road bike. Plus I always felt that you can get a much better stuctured workout on the a stationary trainer than you can on the road. I don't race, but I do ride with people who do, and I don't like to get dropped, so I train pretty hard.

Shademan

Tags:

2. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Like you, I don't race, but I decided to buy a power meter for my training last summer. Now, for the first time I am using my Powertap wheel indoors this winter as well.

There are lots of benefits of just going with the PT on your bike.

First, you can use it both on your trainer indoors and outdoors. Once you get used to the power info, it can be difficult to give it up for outdoors. Two, using the same bike or another real road bike indoors is easier for fitting and reproducing your road bike setup. Finally, it is cheaper than going for a 300PT. However, I'm sure some of the 300PT owners may argue the other way. I guess the downside is I may be prematurely damaging my PT hub by using it on the trainer, but I love having it both indoors and out.

3. WattsAMatta

WattsAMatta New Member

If you can only do one or the other, then definitely get the Power Tap for your bike. I bought a Power Tap hub early last season, and I also bought a 300PT a few months ago, and I'm quite happy with both of them. The 300PT easily can be set up to closely match your road bike (except for crank length, q-factor, and handlebar size/shape.) It's real nice having both, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd pick the hub without a second thought.
    -- Bryan

4. john979

john979 New Member

You can change cranks...