A 35km air cooled cycle-path? -Iin Qatar,where else...

Skewer

Guest
The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
‘air-conditioned’ bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.

<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>
Pete.B

Skewer wrote:
> The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
> 'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.
>
> <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

They've got more money than they can spend over there... for now.

BTH

BT Humble wrote:
> Skewer wrote:
> > The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
> > 'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.
> >
> > <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

> They've got more money than they can spend over there... for now.

I'll avoid it on principles, I think. Move there in August. Ought to be
interesting...

blah wrote:
> BT Humble wrote:
>> Skewer wrote:
>>> The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
>>> 'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.
>>>
>>> <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

>> They've got more money than they can spend over there... for now.

> I'll avoid it on principles, I think. Move there in August. Ought to be
> interesting...

Change in plans Blah? I thought you were planning on somewhere a bit
more cycling friendly.

DaveB

Skewer wrote:
> The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
> 'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.
>
> <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

You could set it up to have a permanent tailwind :)

Or, a permanent headwind ...

Bleve wrote:
> Skewer wrote:
> > The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
> > 'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.
> >
> > <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

> You could set it up to have a permanent tailwind :)
>
> Or, a permanent headwind ...

The idea is not new, I'm sure more people would be interested when they
see the speed benefits, that said I'm not sure that they will get the
tenfold reduction of effort suggested here:
http://www.biketrans.com/info.html

PiledHigher wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> > Skewer wrote:
> > > The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
> > > 'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.
> > >
> > > <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

> > You could set it up to have a permanent tailwind :)
> >
> > Or, a permanent headwind ...

> The idea is not new, I'm sure more people would be interested when they
> see the speed benefits, that said I'm not sure that they will get the
> tenfold reduction of effort suggested here:
> http://www.biketrans.com/info.html

Imagine if there was a bike-path next to a railway line in a tunnel ...
w00t!

PiledHigher said:
The idea is not new, I'm sure more people would be interested when they
see the speed benefits, that said I'm not sure that they will get the
tenfold reduction of effort suggested here:
http://www.biketrans.com/info.html
It may be better and cheaper to have a free rail/tram system that can easily carry bicycles, with stops every 1km. A bit like a public transport system :) That way pedestrians and cyclists could both use it. The trick is making the trains/trams arrive every 2-3 minutes.

DaveB wrote:

> Change in plans Blah? I thought you were planning on somewhere a bit
> more cycling friendly.
>
> DaveB

Yep - it surprised us, too. Best job we could hope for, though. One
positive is the Tour of Qatar each Feb and another is that nobody
drives on Fridays - empty roads!

Let's just air-condition the whole planet. The way things are going we'll
need to do to survive anyway...

news:[email protected]...

On 2007-01-22, blah (aka Bruce)

> BT Humble wrote:
>> Skewer wrote:
>> > The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
>> > 'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.
>> >
>> > <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

>> They've got more money than they can spend over there... for now.

> I'll avoid it on principles, I think. Move there in August. Ought to be
> interesting...

WTF? I saw an ad for a job in Qatar in a paper today. I've never
heard the place, and now I've seen it mentioned 3 times today.

--
TimC
An optimist thinks we are living in the best of all possible worlds. A

On 2007-01-23, Nick Payne (aka Bruce)
> "Skewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
>> air-conditioned bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in
>> 2007.
>>
>> <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

> Let's just air-condition the whole planet. The way things are going we'll
> need to do to survive anyway...

Damn you laws of thermodynamics. And why is it that my house
immediately follows the upwards trends in temperature (during the
daytime, my flat's internal temperature is identical to, or 1 or 2
degrees higher than the temperature at the airport), but it doesn't
cool by more than 5 degrees in the 11 hours of the night?

And the more iceblocks I eat, the more the room temperature increases.

--
TimC
Some people claim that the UNIX learning curve is steep, but at least you

blah said:
Yep - it surprised us, too. Best job we could hope for, though. One
positive is the Tour of Qatar each Feb and another is that nobody
drives on Fridays - empty roads!

Blah! Long time no see dude! I'll need someone at the feed zone at this tour, you be free to help out? ;)

TimC wrote:

> On 2007-01-23, Nick Payne (aka Bruce)
> > "Skewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
> >> air-conditioned bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in
> >> 2007.
> >>
> >> <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle>

> > Let's just air-condition the whole planet. The way things are going we'll
> > need to do to survive anyway...

> Damn you laws of thermodynamics.

The planet is not a closed system. You *could* bleed the heat off into
space.

ghostgum said:
A bit like a public transport system :) That way pedestrians and cyclists could both use it. The trick is making the trains/trams arrive every 2-3 minutes.
Bwhahahaha hahaha ah hahahahha.

Sorry.

On 2007-01-23, Bleve (aka Bruce)

> TimC wrote:
>
>> On 2007-01-23, Nick Payne (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>> > Let's just air-condition the whole planet. The way things are going we'll
>> > need to do to survive anyway...

>> Damn you laws of thermodynamics.

> The planet is not a closed system. You *could* bleed the heat off into
> space.

But they you'll heat up Jupiter!

Easier solution:

Who cares about acid rain? Bring back sulphur! Bring back sulphur!
Bring on global cooling!

--
TimC
In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded.

TimC wrote:

> On 2007-01-22, blah (aka Bruce)
> >
> > BT Humble wrote:

> >> They've got more money than they can spend over there... for now.

> > I'll avoid it on principles, I think. Move there in August. Ought to be
> > interesting...

> WTF? I saw an ad for a job in Qatar in a paper today. I've never
> heard the place, and now I've seen it mentioned 3 times today.

We got offered some PhD studentships and postdocs there...
of course the catch is that you have to live in a
compound...

Tam

On Jan 24, 9:20 am, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>
> > On 2007-01-22, blah (aka Bruce)
> > was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

> > > I'll avoid it on principles, I think. Move there in August. Ought to be
> > > interesting...

> > WTF? I saw an ad for a job in Qatar in a paper today. I've never
> > heard the place, and now I've seen it mentioned 3 times today.We got offered some PhD studentships and postdocs there...

> of course the catch is that you have to live in a
> compound...

I'm not. Maybe they want to quarantine people from Qld? It will be
quite different, though.

blah wrote:
> Maybe they want to quarantine people from Qld?

Sounds like a sensible policy to me! ;-)

BTH