A 50mph leadout?

Status

Raptor

Guest
One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.

The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.

Was that real or what?

It's kilometers per hour.

Thanks, Ronde Champ

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:21:19 -0700, Raptor wrote:
>One of those early Vuelta stages last year The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph

50 kph probably.

I have been in vans following races at around 70kph in NZ tours when the tail wind is blowing so if
the wind was right I think that 80kph in a leadout would be possible

john

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:27:06 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:21:19 -0700, Raptor wrote:
>>One of those early Vuelta stages last year The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph
>
>50 kph probably.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
> One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
> beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
>
> The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
> couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
>
> Was that real or what?
>
> --

If you're able to do 40mph= about 60kph on your own, you're doing allright I think. On a 50-60km
timetrial stage Lance rides about 52kph , I think.

Myself I can ride about 50kph for a few minutes alone, but in a group I could do 60-65kph, so about
10-15kph more.

With a group you could be able to reach 50mph=75kph also.

regards

Vincent

No, this was converted from kph. The telemetry indicated somewhere around 80 kph. Sherwen was
impressed, for sure.

ronde champ wrote:
> It's kilometers per hour.
>
> Thanks, Ronde Champ
>

> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
>>beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
>>
>>The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
>>couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
>>
>>Was that real or what?

They got pulled over a few weeks ago doing 90+ kph during a motorpacing workout behind the team car.

Dallas

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
> beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
>
> The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
> couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
>
> Was that real or what?

> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

go to analyticycling.com and figure it out for yourself. estimate 800 watts for the leadout and 1000
for the final 400 meters

by adjusting the slope to get and output of 80kph you can figure how steep the downhill was on "what
appeared to be flat roads"

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
> beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
>
> The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
> couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
>
> Was that real or what?

> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Mario has been clocked above 48 mph on several occasions crossing the finish line so it isn't
surprising that a leadout train like he has can hit those sorts of speed on the way there. The Cipo
train contains some really super rolleurs and then there are a couple of guys that would be star
sprinters on anyone else's team.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini
abandoned.
> Zabel was still trying to beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows
> right by them.
>
> The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat
roads.
> I watched it happening, but couldn't really believe it. I know I
can
> only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
>
> Was that real or what?

> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to
protect
> our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in charge of
> Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a flat
road, light tailwind or not.

Scott

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
> beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
>
> The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
> couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
>
> Was that real or what?
>
> --

> No, this was converted from kph. The telemetry indicated somewhere around 80 kph. Sherwen was
> impressed, for sure.

Who knows what freaks those drugs are creating.

Vincent vW wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
>
>>One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
>>beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
>>
>>The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
>>couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
>>
>>Was that real or what?
>>
>>--
>

> If you're able to do 40mph= about 60kph on your own, you're doing allright I think.

Maybe, I'd hope so. But this WAS a 20mph tailwind and in the depths of oxygen debt, mashing the
pedals as hard as I could, then mashing them harder for a few seconds before looking down at the
computer's max speed. And I'm a self-styled sprinter. I think I might suck, but then I don't have
any pretensions of not sucking either. Those pros are damn impressive. As hard as 40 was for me, I
can't conceive of hitting 50, tailwind or no.

>Subject: Re: A 50mph leadout? From: [email protected] (scott) Date: 3/12/03 1:30 PM Central
>Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
>
>There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a flat
>road, light tailwind or not.
>
>Scott

Really? thanks for your professional anaylsis. But you are wrong.

going back to lurking, jason

What's wrong with this logic: 50 MPH with a 20 MPH tailwind is like 30 MPH with no tailwind.

I've gone over 40MPH on the flats aided by a stiff tailwind. It's no big deal.

- Pete

[email protected] (scott) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a flat
> road, light tailwind or not.
>
> Scott
>

> Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying
> > to beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
> >
> > The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening,
> > but couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff
> > tailwind.
> >
> > Was that real or what?
> >
> > --

> >There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a flat
> >road, light tailwind or not.
> >
> >Scott
>
> Really? thanks for your professional anaylsis. But you are wrong.
>
> going back to lurking, jason

Jason,

Have you ever sprinted off a professional leadout? You must have, since you are so confident. Let us
know... I'm just seeking empirical evidence like any good RBR debater.

Scott

"scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > >There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a
> > >flat road, light tailwind or not.
> > >
> > >Scott
> >
> > Really? thanks for your professional anaylsis. But you are wrong.
> >
> > going back to lurking, jason
>
> Jason,
>
> Have you ever sprinted off a professional leadout? You must have, since you are so confident. Let
> us know... I'm just seeking empirical evidence like any good RBR debater.
>
> Scott

Scott -

I would like to be the first to say:

"you are a dumbest"

Pete Harris wrote:
> What's wrong with this logic: 50 MPH with a 20 MPH tailwind is like 30 MPH with no tailwind.
>
> I've gone over 40MPH on the flats aided by a stiff tailwind. It's no big deal.
>
> - Pete

At first blush, I don't see anything wrong with the logic. But fluid dynamics is full of
non-linearities so I'm not sure.

I seem to be able to do 30 with no wind more easily than I can do 40 with a stiff wind.

> "scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > Really? thanks for your professional anaylsis. But you are wrong.
> > >
> > > going back to lurking, jason
> >
> > Jason,
> >
> > Have you ever sprinted off a professional leadout? You must have, since you are so confident.
> > Let us know... I'm just seeking empirical evidence like any good RBR debater.
> >
> > Scott
>

> Scott -
>
> I would like to be the first to say:
>
> "you are a dumbest"

"dumbass"

K. Gringini dumb, but not as dumb as scott

K. Gringini bumbled his insult:
> > Scott -
> >
> > I would like to be the first to say: "you are a dumbest"
>
> "dumbass"
>
> K. Gringini dumb, but not as dumb as scott

Well, which is it? Dumbest or dumbass? And why do I deserve that, exactly?

What evidence do you have that 50mph is possible? Do you know what 'empirical' means?

I have plenty of evidence that supports the statement I made - that there's no way anybody can
hit anywhere close to 50mph on a flat road, with or without a full-blown professional leadout or
light tailwind.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.