A 50mph leadout?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Raptor, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
    beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.

    The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
    couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.

    Was that real or what?

  2. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    It's kilometers per hour.

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

  3. On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:21:19 -0700, Raptor wrote:
    >One of those early Vuelta stages last year The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph

    50 kph probably.

  4. John Lee

    John Lee Guest

    I have been in vans following races at around 70kph in NZ tours when the tail wind is blowing so if
    the wind was right I think that 80kph in a leadout would be possible

    john

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:27:06 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:21:19 -0700, Raptor wrote:
    >>One of those early Vuelta stages last year The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph
    >
    >50 kph probably.

  5. Vincent Vw

    Vincent Vw Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
    > beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
    >
    > The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
    > couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
    >
    > Was that real or what?
    >
    > --

    If you're able to do 40mph= about 60kph on your own, you're doing allright I think. On a 50-60km
    timetrial stage Lance rides about 52kph , I think.

    Myself I can ride about 50kph for a few minutes alone, but in a group I could do 60-65kph, so about
    10-15kph more.

    With a group you could be able to reach 50mph=75kph also.

    regards

    Vincent

  6. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    No, this was converted from kph. The telemetry indicated somewhere around 80 kph. Sherwen was
    impressed, for sure.

    ronde champ wrote:
    > It's kilometers per hour.
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Champ
    >

    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
    >>beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
    >>
    >>The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
    >>couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
    >>
    >>Was that real or what?

  7. Dallas

    Dallas Guest

    They got pulled over a few weeks ago doing 90+ kph during a motorpacing workout behind the team car.

    Dallas

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
    > beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
    >
    > The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
    > couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
    >
    > Was that real or what?

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  8. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    go to analyticycling.com and figure it out for yourself. estimate 800 watts for the leadout and 1000
    for the final 400 meters

    by adjusting the slope to get and output of 80kph you can figure how steep the downhill was on "what
    appeared to be flat roads"

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
    > beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
    >
    > The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
    > couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
    >
    > Was that real or what?

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Mario has been clocked above 48 mph on several occasions crossing the finish line so it isn't
    surprising that a leadout train like he has can hit those sorts of speed on the way there. The Cipo
    train contains some really super rolleurs and then there are a couple of guys that would be star
    sprinters on anyone else's team.

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini
    abandoned.
    > Zabel was still trying to beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows
    > right by them.
    >
    > The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat
    roads.
    > I watched it happening, but couldn't really believe it. I know I
    can
    > only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
    >
    > Was that real or what?

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to
    protect
    > our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in charge of
    > Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  10. Scott

    Scott Guest

    There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a flat
    road, light tailwind or not.

    Scott

    Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
    > beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
    >
    > The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
    > couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
    >
    > Was that real or what?
    >
    > --

  11. > No, this was converted from kph. The telemetry indicated somewhere around 80 kph. Sherwen was
    > impressed, for sure.

    Who knows what freaks those drugs are creating.

  12. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Vincent vW wrote:
    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying to
    >>beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
    >>
    >>The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening, but
    >>couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff tailwind.
    >>
    >>Was that real or what?
    >>
    >>--
    >

    > If you're able to do 40mph= about 60kph on your own, you're doing allright I think.

    Maybe, I'd hope so. But this WAS a 20mph tailwind and in the depths of oxygen debt, mashing the
    pedals as hard as I could, then mashing them harder for a few seconds before looking down at the
    computer's max speed. And I'm a self-styled sprinter. I think I might suck, but then I don't have
    any pretensions of not sucking either. Those pros are damn impressive. As hard as 40 was for me, I
    can't conceive of hitting 50, tailwind or no.

  13. >Subject: Re: A 50mph leadout? From: [email protected] (scott) Date: 3/12/03 1:30 PM Central
    >Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a flat
    >road, light tailwind or not.
    >
    >Scott

    Really? thanks for your professional anaylsis. But you are wrong.

    going back to lurking, jason

  14. Pete Harris

    Pete Harris Guest

    What's wrong with this logic: 50 MPH with a 20 MPH tailwind is like 30 MPH with no tailwind.

    I've gone over 40MPH on the flats aided by a stiff tailwind. It's no big deal.

    - Pete

    [email protected] (scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a flat
    > road, light tailwind or not.
    >
    > Scott
    >

    > Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > One of those early Vuelta stages last year, before Cippolini abandoned. Zabel was still trying
    > > to beat Mario. Telekom had a nice leadout going, then the A&S train blows right by them.
    > >
    > > The motorcycle telemetry hit 50 mph on what appeared to be flat roads. I watched it happening,
    > > but couldn't really believe it. I know I can only break 40 mph on the flats with a stiff
    > > tailwind.
    > >
    > > Was that real or what?
    > >
    > > --

  15. Scott

    Scott Guest

    > >There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a flat
    > >road, light tailwind or not.
    > >
    > >Scott
    >
    > Really? thanks for your professional anaylsis. But you are wrong.
    >
    > going back to lurking, jason

    Jason,

    Have you ever sprinted off a professional leadout? You must have, since you are so confident. Let us
    know... I'm just seeking empirical evidence like any good RBR debater.

    Scott

  16. "scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > >There is no way can anybody - with or without a pro train - can hit anywhere near 50mph on a
    > > >flat road, light tailwind or not.
    > > >
    > > >Scott
    > >
    > > Really? thanks for your professional anaylsis. But you are wrong.
    > >
    > > going back to lurking, jason
    >
    > Jason,
    >
    > Have you ever sprinted off a professional leadout? You must have, since you are so confident. Let
    > us know... I'm just seeking empirical evidence like any good RBR debater.
    >
    > Scott

    Scott -

    I would like to be the first to say:

    "you are a dumbest"

  17. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Pete Harris wrote:
    > What's wrong with this logic: 50 MPH with a 20 MPH tailwind is like 30 MPH with no tailwind.
    >
    > I've gone over 40MPH on the flats aided by a stiff tailwind. It's no big deal.
    >
    > - Pete

    At first blush, I don't see anything wrong with the logic. But fluid dynamics is full of
    non-linearities so I'm not sure.

    I seem to be able to do 30 with no wind more easily than I can do 40 with a stiff wind.

  18. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Really? thanks for your professional anaylsis. But you are wrong.
    > > >
    > > > going back to lurking, jason
    > >
    > > Jason,
    > >
    > > Have you ever sprinted off a professional leadout? You must have, since you are so confident.
    > > Let us know... I'm just seeking empirical evidence like any good RBR debater.
    > >
    > > Scott
    >

    > Scott -
    >
    > I would like to be the first to say:
    >
    > "you are a dumbest"

    "dumbass"

    K. Gringini dumb, but not as dumb as scott

  19. Scott

    Scott Guest

    K. Gringini bumbled his insult:
    > > Scott -
    > >
    > > I would like to be the first to say: "you are a dumbest"
    >
    > "dumbass"
    >
    > K. Gringini dumb, but not as dumb as scott

    Well, which is it? Dumbest or dumbass? And why do I deserve that, exactly?

    What evidence do you have that 50mph is possible? Do you know what 'empirical' means?

    I have plenty of evidence that supports the statement I made - that there's no way anybody can
    hit anywhere close to 50mph on a flat road, with or without a full-blown professional leadout or
    light tailwind.

    Scott