a 57-yr old died after 10K run

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by octogenarian, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. octogenarian

    octogenarian Guest

    Posted on Mon, Mar. 27, 2006
    Runner collapses, dies in 10K raceWALNUT CREEK MAN WORKED AT
    NEWSPAPERBy Julie Sevrens LyonsMercury NewsGeorge Vanner, a Walnut
    Creek resident and avid runner, collapsed and died while participating
    in the Mercury News 10K race Sunday.
    Vanner, 57, was an information technology manager with the Contra Costa
    Times newspaper, where he had been employed for more than two decades.
    ``He's one of the people who was well known and well regarded by
    everyone there, and the kind of person in any situation who was always
    willing to help out,'' said former Times Publisher George Riggs, now
    the publisher of the Mercury News.
    ``George has been at my house more times than I can count,'' said
    Riggs, who still supervises the Times' operations. ``He's been there to
    help for computer problems; he's been there for Christmas parties. He's
    part of the glue that held the Contra Costa Times together.''
    Vanner had completed the 6.2-mile Mercury News race the previous year
    and also enjoyed step aerobics. Friends were stunned that the active
    and affable father of two may have suffered a massive heart attack. An
    autopsy will be performed early this week to help determine his cause
    of death.
    ``I used to make fun of him because I'm the worst couch potato and eat
    junk food. He was very fit -- running, aerobics, the conventional
    taking care of yourself,'' said Mona Hatfield, IT director at the
    Times.
    Vanner's girlfriend, Ann Comey, called Hatfield with the news of his
    death, saying that he collapsed mid-race and that paramedics weren't
    able to revive him.
    Vanner, who wore cowboy boots almost every day and could be seen eating
    breakfast or lunch with his crew of computer technicians, was known for
    never letting a problem go unsolved. He helped people troubleshoot the
    minutiae of the day while fixing glitches.
    He leaves behind two sons, Gregory, 19, and Benjamin, 14. He doted on
    the boys, who live in Dublin, and attended lacrosse and soccer games
    regardless of the weather.
    ``He was such a kind and giving person,'' said his former wife, Kim
    Vanner.

    Tags:

  2. Beach Runner

    Beach Runner Guest

    octogenarian wrote:

    > Posted on Mon, Mar. 27, 2006
    > Runner collapses, dies in 10K raceWALNUT CREEK MAN WORKED AT
    > NEWSPAPERBy Julie Sevrens LyonsMercury NewsGeorge Vanner, a Walnut
    > Creek resident and avid runner, collapsed and died while participating
    > in the Mercury News 10K race Sunday.
    > Vanner, 57, was an information technology manager with the Contra Costa
    > Times newspaper, where he had been employed for more than two decades.
    > ``He's one of the people who was well known and well regarded by
    > everyone there, and the kind of person in any situation who was always
    > willing to help out,'' said former Times Publisher George Riggs, now
    > the publisher of the Mercury News.
    > ``George has been at my house more times than I can count,'' said
    > Riggs, who still supervises the Times' operations. ``He's been there to
    > help for computer problems; he's been there for Christmas parties. He's
    > part of the glue that held the Contra Costa Times together.''
    > Vanner had completed the 6.2-mile Mercury News race the previous year
    > and also enjoyed step aerobics. Friends were stunned that the active
    > and affable father of two may have suffered a massive heart attack. An
    > autopsy will be performed early this week to help determine his cause
    > of death.
    > ``I used to make fun of him because I'm the worst couch potato and eat
    > junk food. He was very fit -- running, aerobics, the conventional
    > taking care of yourself,'' said Mona Hatfield, IT director at the
    > Times.
    > Vanner's girlfriend, Ann Comey, called Hatfield with the news of his
    > death, saying that he collapsed mid-race and that paramedics weren't
    > able to revive him.
    > Vanner, who wore cowboy boots almost every day and could be seen eating
    > breakfast or lunch with his crew of computer technicians, was known for
    > never letting a problem go unsolved. He helped people troubleshoot the
    > minutiae of the day while fixing glitches.
    > He leaves behind two sons, Gregory, 19, and Benjamin, 14. He doted on
    > the boys, who live in Dublin, and attended lacrosse and soccer games
    > regardless of the weather.
    > ``He was such a kind and giving person,'' said his former wife, Kim
    > Vanner.

    How many people die prematurely from NOT exercising?

  3. octogenarian

    octogenarian Guest

    But none don't die after finishing a 10K tun!

    Wish thar is something to warn us of impending "fatality".

    We are all on borrowed time.

  4. On 27 Mar 2006 10:47:18 -0800, "octogenarian" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >But none don't die

    Spend yours in junior high, moron.

  5. octogenarian

    octogenarian Guest

    Spend yours in Folsom, retard.

  6. Sir Lancelot

    Sir Lancelot Guest

  7. Ahh yes, nature's way of thinning the herd.

    The lame and the dull witted always get it first.