A 6ft+ 180-210lb racer is best at?

allanw said:
Kilo??? What's that?

1-km track time trial. some of the 200-m track sprinters ride this, and the worlds best complete it in about 60-secs. females compete over 500-m.

however, just because you're not the 'usual' diminutive small cyclist, doesn't mean you can't compete in endurance events (e.g., RR, TT, etc). There's some huge pro cyclists, e.g., Magnus Backstedt, and a few year back there was Eros Poli. I think Magnus has a mass of around 95 kg

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
1-km track time trial. some of the 200-m track sprinters ride this, and the worlds best complete it in about 60-secs. females compete over 500-m.

however, just because you're not the 'usual' diminutive small cyclist, doesn't mean you can't compete in endurance events (e.g., RR, TT, etc). There's some huge pro cyclists, e.g., Magnus Backstedt, and a few year back there was Eros Poli. I think Magnus has a mass of around 95 kg

ric

^^^

1000m TT. I make a joke, ja?

:D

giantcu92 said:
Eating small children.

LOL :D

Sorry, that made me laugh out loud.

Actually, I'm 205lbs... always looking for extra sources of protein... Hmmm...

keydates said:
Probably not climbing (mountains).
Depends. As others have posted, this is a wide range. I found that at 6 foot 1, 210 pounds I could not climb, but at 195 I was able to outclimb most folks. Still, the key would be power to weight.

How about a 5'10" 145 lb. rider? Although, my ideal weight is probably closer to 138 or so, 145 is what I'm at right now. I'm guessing climbing is what I'd stereotypically be good at?

Kerl said:
How about a 5'10" 145 lb. rider? Although, my ideal weight is probably closer to 138 or so, 145 is what I'm at right now. I'm guessing climbing is what I'd stereotypically be good at?

It's relatively fruitless to try to work out this kind of stuff from height/weight figures alone. If you want a really good idea, find out your LT, VO2max, MAP, Peak Power, CP's, wingate test, etc. Then take all your results to a coach (or whoever did the tests) and say, 'what the hell am I?'. Your metabolic characteristics, muscle composition, motivation, ability to ride in an aero position, etc etc are all as or, probably, more important than height/weight.

allanw said:
A 6ft+ 180-210lb racer is best at?

Paris-Roubaux
heavier riders do better on the cobbles. (like Magnus Backstedt)
If you have fast twitch fibers, sprinting.

Roadie_scum said:
It's relatively fruitless to try to work out this kind of stuff from height/weight figures alone. If you want a really good idea, find out your LT, VO2max, MAP, Peak Power, CP's, wingate test, etc. Then take all your results to a coach (or whoever did the tests) and say, 'what the hell am I?'. Your metabolic characteristics, muscle composition, motivation, ability to ride in an aero position, etc etc are all as or, probably, more important than height/weight.
I heard one time that if you want to go to the Olympics, first you must choose your parents very well.