A 6ft+ 180-210lb racer is best at?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by allanw, Oct 18, 2004.

1. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

Miguel Indurain was 6 ft 198lb. He seemed to do OK. Merckx was around 180 pounds I believe.

2. bike4miles2

bike4miles2 New Member

There is no way. A guy or girl that big can't clinmb well which is important.

3. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

For 99.9% this is true, but...
    Indurain was 198 lb. Merckx was around 180. Hincapie is 185 and I saw him leading the blue train over several passes in the Tour.
    Merckx won a polka dot jersey in one TOur and Indurain couldn't win the Tour five times without being a more than adequate climber. Granted these are exceptions to the rule, as Indurain and Merckx put out so much power that they overcame their weight.
    For the average person weight is alot to overcome for climbing. For a 190 lb person you have to put out alot more power compared to a 140 pounder to climb at the same rate.

4. flat tire

flat tire New Member

I weigh close to 195 lbs. I couldn't imagine a 140 pounder climbing a hill with 55 pounds attached to his back. IMO, you need a lot of strength to climb hills at 195 pounds. On the other hand, I seem to do very well in any rolling hills that I can power over before exhausting my anaerobic reserve.

5. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

You don't need to be very strong to climb hills, you need to produce a moderate amount of power that needs to be sustained for the duration of the climb. while it's true that you'd need to produce more force and power to climb at the same velocity as a lighter rider under the same conditions, this is different to requiring high levels of strength.

ric

6. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

Having a high VO2 really helps on climbing as well as being able to spend a long time at your lactate threshold.

7. zaskar

zaskar New Member

So your a weight lifter? i look for good sources of Carbs.

8. Foothills Rider

Foothills Rider New Member

I recently read (in one of Friel's books, I think) that most pro climbers are below 2 pounds/inch of height. Sprinters are heavier (2.2 - 2.3 pounds/inch), but that (supposedly) there were no current tour riders more than 2.5 pounds/inch...