a ? about metastasis

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Woodpecker, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Woodpecker

    Woodpecker Guest

    My brother just had a 1 cm pancreatic cancer removed. Today we got the pathology reports back which
    showed that the cancer had spread to several lymph nodes. Is it unusual for a tumor that small to
    have already metastasized? Feel free to e-mail me.

    Woodpecker

    Tags:

  2. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "woodpecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My brother just had a 1 cm pancreatic cancer removed. Today we got the pathology reports back
    > which showed that the cancer had spread to several lymph nodes. Is it unusual for a tumor that
    > small to have already metastasized? Feel free to e-mail me.
    >
    > Woodpecker

    It's not unusual in aggressive cancers, as is usually the case with pancreatic cancers.

    Peter Moran.

  3. J

    J Guest

    Peter Moran wrote:

    > "woodpecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > 3133.bay.webtv.net...
    > > My brother just had a 1 cm pancreatic cancer removed. Today we got the pathology reports back
    > > which showed that the cancer had spread to several lymph nodes. Is it unusual for a tumor that
    > > small to have already metastasized? Feel free to e-mail me.
    > >
    > > Woodpecker
    >
    > It's not unusual in aggressive cancers, as is usually the case with pancreatic cancers.
    >
    > Peter Moran.

    What does that mean in terms of time and outcome? and mets (further away from the pancreas?) I ask
    because I don't recall lymph nodes mentioned before (yet they probably are/were involved in those
    with mets? J

  4. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:20:44 -0500 (EST) in article
    <[email protected]> [email protected]
    (woodpecker) wrote:

    >My brother just had a 1 cm pancreatic cancer removed. Today we got the pathology reports back which
    >showed that the cancer had spread to several lymph nodes. Is it unusual for a tumor that small to
    >have already metastasized? Feel free to e-mail me.

    Some tongue or throat cancers can produce large metastases on the neck even when the primary tumor
    is still so small that it is not detectable by any means.

    --
    Matti Narkia

  5. Orac

    Orac Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (woodpecker) wrote:

    > My brother just had a 1 cm pancreatic cancer removed. Today we got the pathology reports back
    > which showed that the cancer had spread to several lymph nodes. Is it unusual for a tumor that
    > small to have already metastasized? Feel free to e-mail me.

    Unfortunately, no, it's not unsual, particularly for pancreatic cancer. In fact, what is unusual for
    pancreatic cancer is for it to be diagnosed early enough that there is actually a chance for a
    complete surgical excision. The vast majority of pancreatic cancer patients have unresectable or
    metastatic disease at the time of diagnosis.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

  6. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Peter Moran wrote:
    >
    > > "woodpecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > 3133.bay.webtv.net...
    > > > My brother just had a 1 cm pancreatic cancer removed. Today we got
    the
    > > > pathology reports back which showed that the cancer had spread to several lymph nodes. Is it
    > > > unusual for a tumor that small to have already metastasized? Feel free to e-mail me.
    > > >
    > > > Woodpecker
    > >
    > > It's not unusual in aggressive cancers, as is usually the case with pancreatic cancers.
    > >
    > > Peter Moran.
    >
    > What does that mean in terms of time and outcome? and mets (further away
    from
    > the pancreas?) I ask because I don't recall lymph nodes mentioned before (yet they
    probably
    > are/were involved in those with mets? J

    You will have a fair idea yourself of the usual prognosis with pancreatic cancer. I suspect the
    reason is that it is rarely diagnosed diagnosed before there is lymph node/metastatic spread. That
    also means it is not possible to dissect out the influence of various factors on survival rates or
    final outcomes.

    Peter Moran

  7. Steph

    Steph Guest

    "woodpecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My brother just had a 1 cm pancreatic cancer removed. Today we got the pathology reports back
    > which showed that the cancer had spread to several lymph nodes. Is it unusual for a tumor that
    > small to have already metastasized? Feel free to e-mail me.
    >
    > Woodpecker

    Very common, unfortunately