A beautiful ride spoiled by ... a doggie haircut van

wackydeirdre

Mar 12, 2005
For all of you who have had rides spoiled by your clipless pedals, please don't take this one the wrong way. It's meant to hopefully be of some help.
I was riding along today, just around my neighborhood mind you, being careful as always to watch for cars, children, etc. There is one spot where I have to watch 3 corners at once. I'd checked everything out as usual but we all run into someone once in a while who is blind to anything on the road aside from their next destination right? Well, out of the clear blue came a dog grooming van swaying from one side of the road to the other and going too fast for me to do anything but slam on the brakes. As luck would have it I happened to be in a patch of sand at the time and doing 15-20mph. I got thrown one way and my bike went the other but my cleats came unclipped! I had read some time ago it is advisory to lubricate the cleats every other ride with a dry lubricant for just such occasions. I lubricate mine every ride as I already have one bum knee from a ski accident some years back where my ski did not unclip. I'm pretty cut up, but things could have been way worse! The deepest cut of all was the driver didn't even get out of the van to ask if I was OK despite my being on my chest all twisted up. If my bike weren't beneath the van in danger of busting one of the vans tires I wonder if I would have been noticed at all. The driver just waited for me to get up, hobble over to pick up my bike and wave them on. A neighbor came out of her house wanting to help me but I assured her I was OK and able to get home on my own.
The moral of this story ladies and gentlemen is lube those cleats!!!!

An additional moral would be to never wave a driver off if they caused you to fall, and make sure to get license plate numbers--these can come in handy when reporting the incident to cops, as well as the employers of such moronic drivers, and their insurance companies. Glad you are at least somewhat ok. Hope you heal quickly. When you say the bike was underneath the van--did they actually drive over your bike?

martin_j001 said:
An additional moral would be to never wave a driver off if they caused you to fall, and make sure to get license plate numbers--these can come in handy when reporting the incident to cops, as well as the employers of such moronic drivers, and their insurance companies. Glad you are at least somewhat ok. Hope you heal quickly. When you say the bike was underneath the van--did they actually drive over your bike?
The bike was more or less by the front bumper but he/she didn't run over it. At least the bike was saved and I got away with only an aching body and some scrapes with two gashes on my left hand. They weren't stitchable because they were too full of road. I've been taking care though and everything is healing very well. I'm a kitten with nine lives. Getting the plate numbers were an afterthought. I was way too stunned at the time. When I came home and told my 13 yr old daughter the story she knew exactly who I was talking about and even knew their next stop. She ran down the block to see if they were there but they weren't. I'll guess the driver felt a near hit and run was enough to call it a day. I looked at the windshield but couldn't see a man, woman, anyone. My daughter said they come every week. I'll see what happens then. I definetly plan to make a call. The police around here are basically useless with some minor exceptions. My sons best friend's dad is a seargeant in our precinct so maybe I'll give him a call and ask him what he thinks of the situation. I've got a distinct feeling Jack Daniels may have been driving the van considering the speed and swaying of the vehicle in addition to the person not showing their face. Thanks for your concern, I'm healing quickly, all things considered and even thinking of getting "back in the saddle again" tomorrow for a very short run. My left hand really hurts and starts bleeding when I do much with it but it was seriously depressing not being able to cycle today!

wackydeirdre said:
The bike was more or less by the front bumper but he/she didn't run over it. At least the bike was saved and I got away with only an aching body and some scrapes with two gashes on my left hand. They weren't stitchable because they were too full of road. I've been taking care though and everything is healing very well. I'm a kitten with nine lives. Getting the plate numbers were an afterthought. I was way too stunned at the time. When I came home and told my 13 yr old daughter the story she knew exactly who I was talking about and even knew their next stop. She ran down the block to see if they were there but they weren't. I'll guess the driver felt a near hit and run was enough to call it a day. I looked at the windshield but couldn't see a man, woman, anyone. My daughter said they come every week. I'll see what happens then. I definetly plan to make a call. The police around here are basically useless with some minor exceptions. My sons best friend's dad is a seargeant in our precinct so maybe I'll give him a call and ask him what he thinks of the situation. I've got a distinct feeling Jack Daniels may have been driving the van considering the speed and swaying of the vehicle in addition to the person not showing their face. Thanks for your concern, I'm healing quickly, all things considered and even thinking of getting "back in the saddle again" tomorrow for a very short run. My left hand really hurts and starts bleeding when I do much with it but it was seriously depressing not being able to cycle today!

Glad you are at least feeling a little better. Definitely give that police seargent a call to see what can be done. If the driver of the van really has a drinking problem, and is in your area every week, it won't be hard for a police officer to find them and possibly ticket them for the issues they notice. Good luck, and make sure to let us know if you get to see karma comes back around for this asshole!! :D

martin_j001 said:
Glad you are at least feeling a little better. Definitely give that police seargent a call to see what can be done. If the driver of the van really has a drinking problem, and is in your area every week, it won't be hard for a police officer to find them and possibly ticket them for the issues they notice. Good luck, and make sure to let us know if you get to see karma comes back around for this asshole!! :D
Thanks Jeff. I was being half sarcastic/ half guessing regarding Jack Daniels being behind the wheel. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, it may have been pure irresponsibility on behalf of someone who simply should not have a drivers license. I sometimes can't help wondering if some people on the road got theirs in a box of cracker jack. You've seen the type. I'm feeling a little better again today but my muscles, hand, and spirit are still hurting. I'm also still pretty spooked by the whole thing. I clearly would have been left there had I been killed. There weren't witnesses and there was no sign of anyone getting out of the van. I've got children to care for and I'm all they have. I'll try to ride that horse tomorrow. I love cycling way too much to quit over the stupidity of one driver. It's also completely depressing going without the exercise. Exercise = a healthy looking body + endorphins = :) + positive self esteem. No exercise = me 100 lbs ago. Boy, did I dislike looking like that, eew! Plus, I promised myself I wouldn't allow myself to turn to goo again. That was just a case of post divorce nastiness, besides, It really annoys my ex that I look cool now and I think it's pretty funny.:D Keep on cycling Jeff, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for caring! It's nice to get a little boost after some bad neglect.

martin_j001 said:
Went for a ride today. It completely got me un-spooked re: cycling to get back on my bike again. I'm ready to race again and found a good club to hook up with. Also attempted to make a police report. A small child who won't know to get out of harms way could conceivably be te next victim if the driver is'nt caught soon. I'll just pray they decide to drive safely in future or get caught before anyone is hurt. I knew it would be useless not knowing a plate # or having a visual of the driver but had to try. The driver may not have instant karma, but what comes around eventually goes around.
I took the kids to the beach after my ride. I love the way the ocean water heals wounds twice as fast as antibiotic ointments, cleansers,etc. When we got home one of my 9 yr old sons asked what the secret of ocean water was. He couldn't believe the difference when he saw me. My 14 year old daughter piped in "whale sperm". My son turned his head cockeyed and I told her to put a lid on it. Teenagers~!:rolleyes: Anyhow, all is good with the exception of the police. I told you they were useless though, didn't I? It would be unfair to blame this one totally on the police however, I had very minimal information and too much time has lapsed. Happy and safe cycling!!!!:)