A bee in my bonnet

Postie

Sep 25, 2003
Ok, I don't wear a bonnet. But I do wear a helmet.

I hate bees/wasps. In fact I could say I have a bit of a phobia regarding them. So what I find frustrating is that I continually have bee issues while riding.

Last year I had a few stings while riding. One problem was that several bees got caught in the vents of my helmet. Only one there had consequence, but I wasn't too happy about riding around with a stinger sticking out of my head for the remainder of my ride (I didn't realize it was still in there).

I also fear it could give me an accident some day, so what I've done is buy some carbon window screening, cut out specially thought out inserts for my front vents, and glued them onto my helmet to give a well polished look while preventing those pests from flying in there.

Then, just three days ago, I was on a long ride and I thought, "If the odds are that great of them flying into a vent, what about heavy breathing through a gapping wide mouth?" Not five minutes later a bee smacked right into the top of my lip and rolled along to the side of my mouth before flying off my face. I even felt its furry little body on my tongue (and no, I didn't have my tongue sticking out). Luckily it didn't make it further into my mouth or sting me.

Am I just a bee magnet or does everyone have such problems?

I'm guessing I can't do anything further about it but I'm wondering what other people experience?

Postie I'd rather be a babe magnet than the bee magnet you seem to be.

Do you wear something that has a sweet smell to it? I'm thinking that something on you or your bike is drawing them to you.

Otherwise breath through your nose, it's difficult but al so the preferred method of martial artists & yoga practioners.

My younger brother is allergig to bees and I have been stung once during a TT which wasn't pleasant. There were just heaps of insects blowing around on that day so it was just luck.
However take a look at waht you wear. Bees generaly find blue the yummiest of colours (they love Jacaranda and Heather flowers for example) but don't seem to find red as attractive (I have never seen a red flower being polinated by a bee).

Maybe you have a blue helmet or jersey?

Originally posted by wyllisx2
Postie I'd rather be a babe magnet than the bee magnet you seem to be.

Do you wear something that has a sweet smell to it? I'm thinking that something on you or your bike is drawing them to you.

Otherwise breath through your nose, it's difficult but al so the preferred method of martial artists & yoga practioners.

I too would prefer to be a babe magnet, however I'm married so it would only be counter-productive. :)

I don't ever remember riding with something that smells sweet and I'm guessing my perspiration doesn't qualify under that category. ;)

Thanks.

Originally posted by tafi
My younger brother is allergig to bees and I have been stung once during a TT which wasn't pleasant. There were just heaps of insects blowing around on that day so it was just luck.
However take a look at waht you wear. Bees generaly find blue the yummiest of colours (they love Jacaranda and Heather flowers for example) but don't seem to find red as attractive (I have never seen a red flower being polinated by a bee).

Maybe you have a blue helmet or jersey?

I must admit that your post is interesting.

My helmet is gray, but I have a fair amount of riding cloths, and low-and-behold my predominant colour throughout all of them is blue (most of them almost totally blue).

I would never have considered something like this as being an issue, however I find that some of the most interesting bits of knowledge come from personal observation.

Thanks for the post.

Odd, on Saturday, I took a bee to helmet/face intersection by my ear, where he ended up stinging me. Not all that painful, but enough to remind me it sucks. A wasp/hornet, etc., is much worse, I hear.

I doubt blue is an attractant, as there are few blue flowers... but yellow and pink should be.

Originally posted by Aztec
Odd, on Saturday, I took a bee to helmet/face intersection by my ear, where he ended up stinging me. Not all that painful, but enough to remind me it sucks. A wasp/hornet, etc., is much worse, I hear.

I doubt blue is an attractant, as there are few blue flowers... but yellow and pink should be.

Thanks Aztec.

I too don't think what I wear should be the cause of this problem, however I am completely willing to keep an open mind. I guess that's part of what I'm digging for; Does everyone get stung all the time so that I know it simply "comes with the territory" or is there something else to this?!?

I actually find that while my legs are already pumping and my body is undergoing a fair workload, the bee sting isn't as bad as it would be on my couch. But your words are perfect. It still sucks!

People say wasps/hornets are worse but I'm hoping I never find out.

I never have had a bee problem. The color thing is very interesting, though, and we were always taught not to wear yellow at picnics... There really are some colors that attract insects, as there are odors. But as fast as you're riding, they'd really have to plan ahead to attack you on your bike.

DO other riders around you have this worry, or are you the only one?

Originally posted by less'go
I never have had a bee problem. The color thing is very interesting, though, and we were always taught not to wear yellow at picnics... There really are some colors that attract insects, as there are odors. But as fast as you're riding, they'd really have to plan ahead to attack you on your bike.

DO other riders around you have this worry, or are you the only one?

I agree with you. That's one of the reasons I'd be surprised if it's a colour thing because the bees would have to be going for quite the moving target. Yet, I won't rule it out since I'm sure we come close to bees while we ride all the time and it may not be much of a detour for them to see a colour and alter their course slightly.

I don't know if other riders around me have as much of a problem. Just about all the cyclists I converse with have some riding-bee stories, however it’s the one that almost made it into my mouth that caused me to place this post. I know people aren't finding things to screen their mouth with, so I don't know if this is something anyone else ever worries about or not.

Part of my issue may be my awareness of the bees around me. I've had them sting the fabric of what I was wearing without them making it to my skin, so maybe someone that didn't care wouldn't have even thought to look if they saw the bee make contact or heard that distinct buzz when they sting.

Thanks less'go.

I've been stung once by a bee and once by a wasp while riding, one on the cheek and one on my lip. Both suckers died just before, during or after they stung me, disintegrating into little bits. That's about one sting per 6 years riding. I think it just goes with the territory.

I was in the middle of nowhere last week and paused to take some juice before ascending a large hill. I was leaning over a wooden fence when I became aware of a stirring of bees. They were buzzing about everywhere and I thought maybe I'd disturbed a nest.
Now I wonder if I hold a world record for an enforced time-trial up a steep hill. I shot up that hill like a proverbial bullet and bade the bees "adios!"
Personally I wouldn't worry about being stung by a single bee on my bike if it was a random sting. I don't consider bee stings painful and, in fact, what you should consider doing is taking an antidote to the sting with you. These are usually leaves you can apply to the sting.
I think you may simply be a little phobic over stings and imagine the stings as being far more painful than they are.
Finally, all cyclists should be thankful to bees for their honey. Honey is a terrific supplement for cyclists, especially those of us who suffer pollen allergy or other allergies. Honey is also good for combating joint pain and loaded in vitamins.
You know, a bee entered my office space the other week and I took great care to capture it without causing it any harm and releasing it back outside so it could get on with its work. The honey that bees produce is one of nature's best remedies for us cyclists and athletes. The stings are only a problem if you have an allergy.

Originally posted by Postie
Ok, I don't wear a bonnet. But I do wear a helmet.

I hate bees/wasps. In fact I could say I have a bit of a phobia regarding them. So what I find frustrating is that I continually have bee issues while riding.

Last year I had a few stings while riding. One problem was that several bees got caught in the vents of my helmet. Only one there had consequence, but I wasn't too happy about riding around with a stinger sticking out of my head for the remainder of my ride (I didn't realize it was still in there).

I also fear it could give me an accident some day, so what I've done is buy some carbon window screening, cut out specially thought out inserts for my front vents, and glued them onto my helmet to give a well polished look while preventing those pests from flying in there.

Then, just three days ago, I was on a long ride and I thought, "If the odds are that great of them flying into a vent, what about heavy breathing through a gapping wide mouth?" Not five minutes later a bee smacked right into the top of my lip and rolled along to the side of my mouth before flying off my face. I even felt its furry little body on my tongue (and no, I didn't have my tongue sticking out). Luckily it didn't make it further into my mouth or sting me.

Am I just a bee magnet or does everyone have such problems?

I'm guessing I can't do anything further about it but I'm wondering what other people experience?

Incidentally, there was a story in the paper recently about cyclists being menaced by a buzzard. This was serious stuff. A buzzard had been swooping down on club cyclists and attacking. One guy was left with his head badly bloodied, even though he had a helmet on.
The bike-battering buzzard finally met its end when it swooped on a car and bit off more than it could chew.

Originally posted by Carrera
I was in the middle of nowhere last week and paused to take some juice before ascending a large hill. I was leaning over a wooden fence when I became aware of a stirring of bees. They were buzzing about everywhere and I thought maybe I'd disturbed a nest.
Now I wonder if I hold a world record for an enforced time-trial up a steep hill. I shot up that hill like a proverbial bullet and bade the bees "adios!"
Personally I wouldn't worry about being stung by a single bee on my bike if it was a random sting. I don't consider bee stings painful and, in fact, what you should consider doing is taking an antidote to the sting with you. These are usually leaves you can apply to the sting.
I think you may simply be a little phobic over stings and imagine the stings as being far more painful than they are.
Finally, all cyclists should be thankful to bees for their honey. Honey is a terrific supplement for cyclists, especially those of us who suffer pollen allergy or other allergies. Honey is also good for combating joint pain and loaded in vitamins.
You know, a bee entered my office space the other week and I took great care to capture it without causing it any harm and releasing it back outside so it could get on with its work. The honey that bees produce is one of nature's best remedies for us cyclists and athletes. The stings are only a problem if you have an allergy.

Thanks Carrera.

I guarantee you're right that my concern for bees goes beyond common sense. However one of the things I was fishing for was exactly how bad other people had this problem, and maybe the odd piece of insight a person had to be able to somehow reduce this problem (like my putting carbon mesh over my vents).

However, after reading your buzzard story, yikes, I'll have to look out for psycho birds now too. :D

I wonder if someone was feeding that thing bread soaked in vodka or something?!? :)

Thanks again.