a bicycle-powered forklift?

Rick Onanian wrote:
|>> I only want the 'forklift' to go up 3 or 4 feet or so, and no higher.
|>
|> As a cyclist AND a forklift operator, I have to wonder why.
|
|Heheheh...I forgot that I've been running one of these for the past
|week and a half: http://www.halcoinc.com/gradall/gradall.jpg
|
|So, I'll have to say exactly the same thing:
| As a cyclist AND a forklift operator, I have to wonder why.

Why only 3 feet or so, or why so quietly?

|BTW, I do _NOT_ want to lift a pallet of roof shingles with leg
|power.

Hm... Well, in your case you might want to give some serious thought
to a few work-horses trudging around in a great, big, forty foot ferris
wheel, and there would be these really long, steel cables that could
be looped around these really huge, cogwheel-and-rack arrangements,
and you could lift as many roof shingles as you wanted, all day long,
over and over again.

| Diesel is much easier.

Yes, certainly. I'll agree with you there. And faster and higher,
and far noisier too.

Rick Onanian wrote:
|>> I only want the 'forklift' to go up 3 or 4 feet or so, and no higher.
|>
|> As a cyclist AND a forklift operator, I have to wonder why.
|
|Heheheh...I forgot that I've been running one of these for the past
|week and a half: http://www.halcoinc.com/gradall/gradall.jpg
|
|So, I'll have to say exactly the same thing:
| As a cyclist AND a forklift operator, I have to wonder why.

Why only 3 feet or so, or why so quietly?

|BTW, I do _NOT_ want to lift a pallet of roof shingles with leg
|power.

Hm... Well, in your case you might want to give some serious thought
to a few work-horses trudging around in a great, big, forty foot ferris
wheel, and there would be these really long, steel cables that could
be looped around these really huge, cogwheel-and-rack arrangements,
and you could lift as many roof shingles as you wanted, all day long,
over and over again.

| Diesel is much easier.

Yes, certainly. I'll agree with you there. And faster and higher,
and far noisier too.

Consider using a collapsible parallelogram support under your platform which
is similar to that found on a rear mech. albeit bigger and folds flat. use
aluminium struts and simply push it up into position. This sort of assembly
has a small storage space and light weight and is simple to construct. Add
two bracing wires to lock it in position. If you really must use chain
and sprocket add aqua- Don't Such a simple device does not require
superfluous machinery. The described raising platform will be simple and
easy to operate.
TJ

Rick Onanian wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>Hmmm...mind going off on a tangent: How about a scissor lift?
>http://www.nolansupply.com/lgimages/94815210.jpg
>--
>Rick Onanian

Superfluous as the poster requires only 4' raise. A 4' rise with a 2'
platform with a simple parallelogram support takes up 6' x2' x2" stored but
could easily be disassembled into a smaller package.
Its total mass I guess could be 6lb using aluminium throughout.
TJ