A Bicycle Religion?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by BicyclePathist, Feb 24, 2008.

1. BicyclePathist

BicyclePathist New Member

Don't ask me what inspired me to do it but one day I did a web search for "bicycle religion" and I found this:

Matrixism - The path of the One

It's a religion based on the movie The Matrix (kind of like Jediism) that bicycling plays a big part in. Riding in Critical Mass is a sacred duty and Bicycle Day is one of its Holy days. I guess the bicycle represents the proper man/machine/environment relationship or something.

I figured it was a joke because its just a geocities website but it turns out the website has gotten some decent publicity in the press and in academia. See this article for references:

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Matrixism

So what do you think? Is Matrixism a viable religion?

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Anything that someone believes in can be construed as a religion. IMO a religion based upon a movie is very shallow since the movie is fiction and was created by a man for financial gain and probably nothing more. Therefore, I would not classify it as a religion, but that's just my two cents worth.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

That's no more shallow than religions that were created to exercise power over groups of people or to promote and perpetuate a political viewpoint.

I saw on the back of a truck today:
    Religions discriminate. God doesn't.

Seems spot on these days.

4. LONGPATH

LONGPATH New Member

You know I am not sure if it is or is not a religion but if those people who call themselves Trekkies form some sort of worship cult I am going to be quite worried. What kind of madness makes people learn Klingon and motivates them at the age of 35 to occupy their parents attics and basements.

Hey gang, Klingon is not a real language and Klingons are not real creatures!!!

What about all the crowd that still sees Elvis mucking about here and there? Frankly any religion that sees bicycles as sacred is okay in my book.:rolleyes: :D

5. stlblues

stlblues New Member

We view hockey as a religion and pray to the Hockey Gods, yes more than one, almost every weekend, our house of worship is which ever rink my kids are playing at. So why not a cycling religion? Its probably based more on fact than most other religions that rely on books that have been translated numerous times written by guys 2000+years ago who were trying to scare people into conformity.

6. kdelong

If we form a cycling religion, who or what is our deity?

7. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

A bicycle of course! ;) You can already see where this is headed - there will be many sects each having their own brand as the deity. With time, the multiple groups will start fighting with each other much the same way that we see many sects of the same religion fight each other. :p

8. EmPat

EmPat New Member

9. kdelong

You must worship Raleigh! Death to Trek! Death to Specialized! Death to the USA (why not, everyone else says it):D .

10. LONGPATH

LONGPATH New Member

I suppose this is how holy wars start. I am Specialzed! Lets join up with the Trekkies and go after the people of Raleighdom!:D

11. kdelong

I'm going to be attacked by Specialized Klingons:confused: ?

12. stlblues

stlblues New Member

I worship Fuji damn it. How about a Giant Fuji Haro, that about covers it. Do I get a tax break for my bike, and where do I get ordained?

13. bkaapcke

bkaapcke New Member

So we are all going to worship the great god Shimano? Hope not. bk

14. LONGPATH

LONGPATH New Member

No! We worship at the altar of the Great and Powerful Campagnolo!!! Alias the Almighty Campy!;) :D

15. stlblues

stlblues New Member

NO!!!!!!! and I believe you have trikes of mass destruction, I declare war on you. Prepare for spokes and awwwwwwwwwwwww.....leg cramp.

16. LONGPATH

LONGPATH New Member

I know! Let us declare peace and a general amnesty!;) :D

17. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Forget it, until I kill several hundred thousand people and occupy your livingroom for years, AND you convert, NO PEACE. Just call me W.

18. kdelong

OK, I'll kill 3000+ innocent people in your homeland. And even if you convert, I'll still kill you because of where you were born. I'll also attempt to control the rest of the world or kill them too, with weapons of mass destruction that a freind of mine might or might not have, he won't allow any one to verify it one way or another. Of course you might send in your spies,...... woops, they were all outed and the CIA cut to shreds on the late 1970's and again in the 1990's all in the name of journalism, where your right to know supercedes your right to exist. (Valerie Plame eat your heart out you silly analyst!) And we all know that it takes a good 20 years to infiltrate an effective operative into a hostile foreign government. Oh, you know who I am. My first name rhymes with Obama!

19. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean the US Govt outed Valerie Plame as retribution, while no one in the neo-colonial government took responsibility for their actions. Of course, we won't mention W's inability to finish one job before getting the country bogged down in a war for oil. You, Osama, killed 3000, and Dubya sacrificed 3973 US soldiers for a war that served no purpose, while allowing the unfinished war to rot and al Quaida and the Taliban to regroup, rearm, and go on the offensive. Fortunately W's friends are safe and financially sound. Haliburton is raking in millions, and his neo-con mercenary buddies are getting rich fighting a war for the US without being subject to anyone's laws. Unfortunately, W's abandoned education, leaving a system in shambles, a system that is put to shame by a growing number of countries. W's left the uninsured, the poor, and the unfortunate out in the wind to whither and die. He has used the Bible, though, to form the few policies that he thinks up on his own--maybe--like banning stem cell research, systematically alienating non-Texas Christian religions, like the funding of religious NGO's (his lovely little end run around separation of Church and State. I'm sure the Iraqi's really appreciated the evangelical freaks from the Billy Graham cult that showed up in Iraq with their million plus god fearin' bibles--despite the official prohibition against NGOs bringing bibles in so they could evangelize, i.e. look down their noses at other religions.

The Bush litter should have been culled long ago.

20. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

So we would have 4 gods and 3 faiths?

Gods
    - The Carbon God
    - The Steel God
    - The Alimumun God
    - The Titainum God

Faiths
    - Campy
    - Sram
    - Shimano