A bike for non cyclists...

townierider

Jan 17, 2008
I'm not a particularly athletic specimen, I'm old, fat and unfit. I have several long term illnesses which stop me from exerting myself as much as my doctor and my family would want. I had an injury 25 years ago which caused scar tissue and permanent stitching in my groin, and this makes ordinary bikes, and bike seats, very uncomfortable for me.

I used to love riding a bike when young and at school. I stopped when i decided it wasn't cool, after I got my first motorbike. Yes, I regret this.

A few years after my accident, I tried riding again, on an old Healing 10 speed. On my first ride I began to experience spreading numbness which basically caused me to fall off and lie motionless in the grass for nearly an hour, before walking home and selling the bike.

Many years later, I tried one of those cheap steel framed dual suspension bikes. This was fairly comfortable for about 20 minutes, but the rear suspension absorbed most of my pedal effort, and the thickly padded seat lost it's comfort after 20 minutes. I lived then on a slight slope, and eventually I realized that it was simply easier to walk...

Recently I moved to a flatter area, not quite close enough to the shops to make it easy to shop on foot. In fact it's very tiring and I ache all over afterwards. So a bike looked to be in order. I tried several, but all announced their discomfort within minutes of mounting, even the ones with really thick seats and suspension posts. The problem was the height of the seat, and the interference with my goolies by the seat horn.

I read online about the Crank Forward designs, and customers reported how easy to ride and comfortable they were. They included the Trek Pure, Giant Suede, Raleigh Gruv, Sun Drifter, and a few others. The only one I found available in New Zealand was the Electra Townie. This was the same price as just the freight for importing one from the States.

The Townie arrived in a box, and my friendly local dealer assembled it for me. Well, what can I say, the Internet is amazing, and all those who wrote nice things about the Townie were right. I can sit on it with both feet on the ground (not Quite flat feet...), it is easy to ride, and I don't ache after riding it. In fact, it feels like I am stretching all my muscles while riding, so there is none of the knee/ ankle knotting and throbbing I get after a long walk. I am still using the lower gears on the second crank ring, and every now and then I sit back and freewheel, but this just shows how efficient the Townie is. I have goner up a couple of short steep rises without trouble, just a pumping heart and burning lungs which soon wears off. Can't be doing me any harm. In fact, I really miss riding if it rains for a day or two.

There is a definite weight bias towards the rear, which makes it easier for arms and wrists. Only restarting on a steep slope is a (minor) problem with this. I have developed a slight sore neck, and I do feel the road shocks up my spine after a while (although the elastomer in the seat does work). I don't really like the seat, which is very wide - if I didn't have groin injuries, it might be OK. As it is I feel it after 40 minutes or so, but I can ride for over an hour without any real pain.

I am solving both problems with a Cloud 9 seat, and a Cane creek Thudbuster suspension seatpost. When they arrive I hope to exchange my present comfort for pure luxury.

Real cyclists might turn up their noses at the Townie, but it's not really meant for you. It's meant for ageing semi cripples like me, who would otherwise not be able to ride a bike at all. I wonder though, whether younger fitter riders might not benefit from using a Townie for every day transport. Every twinge and ache you feel right now with your wonder speed machine will be magnified tenfold the older you get. The pressure on your groin alone, from diamond frame design, must give you cause for concern. Riding a Townie might just let you slow down a little, relax and enjoy your riding and the scenery as you pedal along. After all, with a lot of things, it's not how fast you go, but how long you can enjoy the ride!

thats great that you found a bike you can ride, I'm content with my road bike though, the pains are annoying, but beneficial and safe.

I'm glad you found a bike to suit you. There are two types of people in this world, those who ride bikes and those who don't. An Electra is a cool real
bike, therefore you are a real cyclist and the many thousands who own
this brand. Pedal on, cheers.

Thanks for your positive thoughts, folks. I have received and installed the Cloud 9 and Thudbuster, and these are my reflections:

1: The Thudbuster should come with the appropriate elastomers already installed (having asked the rider's weight during the ordering process), as changing them is a pain. The minimum height is 10mm above the Townie's standard seatpost height, but my assumption was that there would be sufficient sag to obviate this;

2: The Cloud 9 is not very thickly padded, and the extra width does make mounting the cycle more awkward. The pressure (and any pain) is transferred from your groin to the back of the upper thighs - perhaps a downwards slope in the seat at this point might have helped?

In operation, there is an adjustment period. The Thudbuster does not turn the bike into a magic carpet, but it does enable you to retain a little more speed when crossing streets and rough pavement. I have a 1 hour circuit. After the new seat and seatpost, this became a 45 minute circuit. I did not feel like I was travelling any faster, in fact I was cycling in a lower gear, because the higher seat position made the pedal stroke feel slightly less efficient. But the fact is, I arrived home sooner, and with none of the little aches and pains in my neck and spine I had experienced before.

With more practice, the seat enabled me to ride for twice as long, and to go a lot further. The problem then became my Chronic Fatigue. After two hours of riding, I had used up the next day's energy as well. But I did get fitter, to the point where I foolishly offered to help a friend move a washing machine.

This set off old injuries in my neck and arm. Now my left hand is so numb I can barely hold a book. I'll have to rest up for a week or two, and maybe get some physiotherapy so I can use my arm again properly. But at least I know I can use my bike to regain fitness, without adding to my injuries or leaving me too sore to sleep. Yes, I have Fibromyalgia as well, and most forms of exercise give me a lot of pain. But not the Townie!

Hi there. I'm assuming you're in New Zealand which is why this may still be of interest to you .

Ciao ! Alan in Christchurch...

An online resource for utility cycling in New Zealand:
http://urbanbicycles.googlepages.com/home

This web-site provides links (which I will continue to add)to where utility-style bicycles and associated technologies can be obtained in New Zealand (and overseas) ,to resources, discussion on cycling issues and to initiatives by Local Governments, organisations, companies or individuals that are setting precedents which others can follow.

Familiarising New Zealanders with utility-style bicycles and their associated technologies and the practices and policies that have enabled the uptake of utility cycling in European Cycletopias is a first step in enabling us to make the change away from our dependence on cars.
Making utility cycling practical, practicable and preferable to the broadest possible demographic range will help to build the numbers needed to ensure real political support for the establishment of a cycling-friendly environment.

Thanks and feel free to contact me.
Ka kite ano.
Alan Preston in Christchurch.
(P.S. I have no involvement in any commercial enterprises)

Tel. 03 3382730
Mob. 027 2128095
[email protected]
http://urbanbicycles.googlepages.com

townierider said:
Thanks for your positive thoughts, folks. I have received and installed the Cloud 9 and Thudbuster, and these are my reflections:

1: The Thudbuster should come with the appropriate elastomers already installed (having asked the rider's weight during the ordering process), as changing them is a pain. The minimum height is 10mm above the Townie's standard seatpost height, but my assumption was that there would be sufficient sag to obviate this;

2: The Cloud 9 is not very thickly padded, and the extra width does make mounting the cycle more awkward. The pressure (and any pain) is transferred from your groin to the back of the upper thighs - perhaps a downwards slope in the seat at this point might have helped?

In operation, there is an adjustment period. The Thudbuster does not turn the bike into a magic carpet, but it does enable you to retain a little more speed when crossing streets and rough pavement. I have a 1 hour circuit. After the new seat and seatpost, this became a 45 minute circuit. I did not feel like I was travelling any faster, in fact I was cycling in a lower gear, because the higher seat position made the pedal stroke feel slightly less efficient. But the fact is, I arrived home sooner, and with none of the little aches and pains in my neck and spine I had experienced before.

With more practice, the seat enabled me to ride for twice as long, and to go a lot further. The problem then became my Chronic Fatigue. After two hours of riding, I had used up the next day's energy as well. But I did get fitter, to the point where I foolishly offered to help a friend move a washing machine.

This set off old injuries in my neck and arm. Now my left hand is so numb I can barely hold a book. I'll have to rest up for a week or two, and maybe get some physiotherapy so I can use my arm again properly. But at least I know I can use my bike to regain fitness, without adding to my injuries or leaving me too sore to sleep. Yes, I have Fibromyalgia as well, and most forms of exercise give me a lot of pain. But not the Townie!