A bike for sunny days

Dane Buson

Guest
Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

I've already swapped out the seatpost and seat since I took these
pictures.

Parts list:

- Nishiki frame (the whole bike was $5 at a garage sale)
- Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed carbon shifters ($75 used from a friend)
- 9 speed 12-25 Shimano cassette
- 105 rear hub/Alex Adventurer rim/ 14/15/14 DB spokes
- Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire
- Ultegra front hub / used Nici (Italian) rim
- Continental Top Touring 2000
- Sora rear derailleur (hubbub alternate routing)
- Front D + cranks, whatever was on the bike
- Centerpull brakes
- Modolo t-poc bars (whatever I had lying around)
- Threaded->Threadless stem adapter ($10)
- Threadless stem (spare from parts drawer)
- Nashbar bar tape ($4)
- New seatpost ($15)
- SPD pedals

Total cost: About $110

Pretty much everything on the bike was discards or things I had lying
around. It actually rides nicely, the only thing that I'm really still
fiddling with is the rear shifter. I've been futzing around with the
mount, and now I have to adjust the shifting again.

The fender has been taken off, it was only on there temporarily.

---

I talked to the shop that has my old frame (Recycled Cycles in the
University District). They've left some messages with Surly, but they
haven't actually talked to them about it. So my bike is still
languishing in their shop. And I've got this bag sitting on my desk at
home full of all the parts I took off the frame.

I'm just glad it broke during the summer so I'm not missing my dedicated
all weather/bad weather bike in the rainy season. Well, and that I
didn't bother overhauling the headset and bottom bracket right before
the frame broke. Procrastination saves the day again!

[1] Last month I had wheel problems [2], this month it looks like frame
problems are on the agenda.

I broke my Crosscheck frame again in pretty much the exact same location
(on my way home from work). I didn't have time to finish putting my
sunny day bike together from pieces, so I dragged my fixed gear out of
the shed to ride to work that morning.

I really should just shell out for a sturdier frame.

[2] Broken rear axle.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."

Dane Buson wrote:
> Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
> Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
> for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.
>
> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding. ;)

> I broke my Crosscheck frame again in pretty much the exact same location
> (on my way home from work). I didn't have time to finish putting my
> sunny day bike together from pieces, so I dragged my fixed gear out of
> the shed to ride to work that morning.
>
> I really should just shell out for a sturdier frame.

Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

I'd be interested in the details of this story too.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

On May 10, 12:27 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote:
> > Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
> > Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
> > for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

> >http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
> >http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

> That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding. ;)

Having seen it in real life, I can testify, though, it is a real purty
bike.

Warm Regards,

Claire

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote:
>> Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
>> Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
>> for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.
>>
>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg
>>

> That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding. ;)

Hmmm, which do you think offends the most?

The hybrid Campagnolo - Shimano setup?
The Nishiki bike boom frame?
The Sora rear derailler?
The Suntour front derailleur?
The fact that I'm using the original cranks and BB?
The Threaded->Threadless adapter for the stem?
The 36 spoke wheels?
The fact I'm using a derailleur claw?
The centerpull brakes?

Actually, I have to admit, part of the goal for the bike was to make a
racy, fairly nice looking Frankenstein bike. Something I could ride on
sunny days when I didn't want to lug around the fenders, dyno-hub,
lights, etc.

>> I broke my Crosscheck frame again in pretty much the exact same location
>> (on my way home from work). I didn't have time to finish putting my
>> sunny day bike together from pieces, so I dragged my fixed gear out of
>> the shed to ride to work that morning.
>>
>> I really should just shell out for a sturdier frame.
>>

> Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

Rear right dropouts (same as last time). It's a pretty common breaking
spot, so I think it's not really that. Most people don't ride as many
miles or break as many parts as I do.

These are the photos from last time, but it's just about the same spot
this time. This time, the top break was more towards the bike, so the
derailler stayed attached to the frame this time.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout-closeup.jpg

I was less than a mile from my house, just having finished crossing the
I-90 bridge. All flat sections, nothing of note, just riding along.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
It is by Perl alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the regex of Larry

Paul M. Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dane Buson wrote:
>>> I broke my Crosscheck frame again in pretty much the exact same location
>>> (on my way home from work). I didn't have time to finish putting my
>>> sunny day bike together from pieces, so I dragged my fixed gear out of
>>> the shed to ride to work that morning.
>>>
>>> I really should just shell out for a sturdier frame.

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

> I'd be interested in the details of this story too.

I posted more in response to Tom upstream. At least it died 2 1/3 years
into the 3 year warranty (I confirmed with Surly that it reset when I
got my last frame replacement). My ambition is to get past the 3 years
with the next frame. Then maybe I can justify a new (different) frame
when the next one dies.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Ambidextrous, adj.:

Claire <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 10, 12:27 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Dane Buson wrote:
>> > Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
>> > Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
>> > for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

>> >http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
>> >http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

>> That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding. ;)

> Having seen it in real life, I can testify, though, it is a real purty
> bike.

Why thank you kindly, it's nice of you to say so. I'm enjoying having a
sparkly blue bike. All my other bikes are dark colors or deliberately
uglified, so this is a nice change.

> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire

How is the new job (and the new commute) suiting you?

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
After all, what is your hosts' purpose in having a party? Surely not for you to

Dane Buson wrote:
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dane Buson wrote:
>>> Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
>>> Sunny day bike fixed up last week. [...]
>>> I broke my Crosscheck frame again in pretty much the exact same location
>>> (on my way home from work). I didn't have time to finish putting my
>>> sunny day bike together from pieces, so I dragged my fixed gear out of
>>> the shed to ride to work that morning.
>>>
>>> I really should just shell out for a sturdier frame.
>>>

>> Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

> Rear right dropouts (same as last time). It's a pretty common breaking
> spot, so I think it's not really that. Most people don't ride as many
> miles or break as many parts as I do.
>
> These are the photos from last time, but it's just about the same spot
> this time. This time, the top break was more towards the bike, so the
> derailler stayed attached to the frame this time.
>
> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout.jpg
> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout-closeup.jpg
>
> I was less than a mile from my house, just having finished crossing the
> I-90 bridge. All flat sections, nothing of note, just riding along.

The most likely scenario is that the area was overheated when welding
the frame. The problem could be due to one particular welder or the
frame design is producing stress raisers at this location.

Dane Buson wrote:
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dane Buson wrote:
>>> Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
>>> Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
>>> for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.
>>>
>>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
>>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg
>>>

>> That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding. ;)

> Hmmm, which do you think offends the most?
>
> The hybrid Campagnolo - Shimano setup?
> The Nishiki bike boom frame?
> The Sora rear derailler?
> The Suntour front derailleur?
> The fact that I'm using the original cranks and BB?
> The Threaded->Threadless adapter for the stem?
> The 36 spoke wheels?
> The fact I'm using a derailleur claw?
> The centerpull brakes?

What's up with the handlebars being as high as the saddle? ;)

Have you been influenced by the late Sheldon Brown?

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote:
>>
>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout.jpg
>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout-closeup.jpg
>>
>> I was less than a mile from my house, just having finished crossing the
>> I-90 bridge. All flat sections, nothing of note, just riding along.
>>

> The most likely scenario is that the area was overheated when welding
> the frame. The problem could be due to one particular welder or the
> frame design is producing stress raisers at this location.

Yes, this is pretty much what I decided after talking to some other
people as well. That location is one that is prone to breakage to
begin with and if there was a slightly botched weld that could make it
happen that much sooner.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Every man has his price. Mine is $3.95."

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> What's up with the handlebars being as high as the saddle? ;)

:p

After I read that I actually went and measured and I'll have you know
it's a two inch drop from saddle to handlebar. Not a fashionable seven
inches of drop I'll admit, but certainly short of the four inch rise on
my grocery bike (necessitated somewhat by a front child seat).

> Have you been influenced by the late Sheldon Brown?

Heaven forfend one should be comfortable while cycling. Personally I
like to gird myself with a hairshirt and crown of thorns [1] before I go
on any training ride.

And lets just agree not to talk about those 'recumbent' people.

[1] Inside the helmet of course. Safety first!

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
After a few boring years, socially meaningful rock 'n' roll died out. It was

On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:24:10 -0700, Dane Buson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dane Buson wrote:
>>>
>>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout.jpg
>>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout-closeup.jpg
>>>
>>> I was less than a mile from my house, just having finished crossing the
>>> I-90 bridge. All flat sections, nothing of note, just riding along.
>>>

>> The most likely scenario is that the area was overheated when welding
>> the frame. The problem could be due to one particular welder or the
>> frame design is producing stress raisers at this location.

>Yes, this is pretty much what I decided after talking to some other
>people as well. That location is one that is prone to breakage to
>begin with and if there was a slightly botched weld that could make it
>happen that much sooner.

I always figured that the different thicknesses of material required
brazing.that joint on a steel frame.
--
zk

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
> Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
> for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.
>
> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg
>
> I've already swapped out the seatpost and seat since I took these
> pictures.
>
> Parts list:
>
> - Nishiki frame (the whole bike was $5 at a garage sale)
> - Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed carbon shifters ($75 used from a friend)
> - 9 speed 12-25 Shimano cassette
> - 105 rear hub/Alex Adventurer rim/ 14/15/14 DB spokes
> - Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire
> - Ultegra front hub / used Nici (Italian) rim
> - Continental Top Touring 2000
> - Sora rear derailleur (hubbub alternate routing)
> - Front D + cranks, whatever was on the bike
> - Centerpull brakes
> - Modolo t-poc bars (whatever I had lying around)
> - Threaded->Threadless stem adapter ($10)
> - Threadless stem (spare from parts drawer)
> - Nashbar bar tape ($4)
> - New seatpost ($15)
> - SPD pedals
>
> Total cost: About $110

That is an amazing setup for $110! I think I paid more than that to buy two
new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and tubes for them. You much be quite
resourceful.

BobT

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:24:10 -0700, Dane Buson <[email protected]>
>>Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>> The most likely scenario is that the area was overheated when welding
>>> the frame. The problem could be due to one particular welder or the
>>> frame design is producing stress raisers at this location.

>>Yes, this is pretty much what I decided after talking to some other
>>people as well. That location is one that is prone to breakage to
>>begin with and if there was a slightly botched weld that could make it
>>happen that much sooner.

> I always figured that the different thicknesses of material required
> brazing.that joint on a steel frame.

I suppose it usually is brazed, either way it's possible it was overheated.

In other news, the frame has been shipped out to Surly and hopefully
this week I'll be hearing about a new frame getting shipped back.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand

BobT <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
>> Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
>> for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.
>>
>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
>> http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg
>>
>> I've already swapped out the seatpost and seat since I took these
>> pictures.
>>
>> Parts list:
>>
>> - Nishiki frame (the whole bike was $5 at a garage sale)
>> - Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed carbon shifters ($75 used from a friend)
>> - 9 speed 12-25 Shimano cassette
>> - 105 rear hub/Alex Adventurer rim/ 14/15/14 DB spokes
>> - Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire
>> - Ultegra front hub / used Nici (Italian) rim
>> - Continental Top Touring 2000
>> - Sora rear derailleur (hubbub alternate routing)
>> - Front D + cranks, whatever was on the bike
>> - Centerpull brakes
>> - Modolo t-poc bars (whatever I had lying around)
>> - Threaded->Threadless stem adapter ($10)
>> - Threadless stem (spare from parts drawer)
>> - Nashbar bar tape ($4)
>> - New seatpost ($15)
>> - SPD pedals
>>
>> Total cost: About $110

> That is an amazing setup for $110! I think I paid more than that to buy two
> new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and tubes for them. You much be quite
> resourceful.

Well, I suppose it's cheating to count only the parts I bought for the
bike itself. If I count up other things that were salvaged from other
bikes or out of the parts pile, it costs more than that.

Cassette (came with another bike - never used) call it $30
Rear wheel (spoke/rim/hub/tire - $18/$20/$30/$35) - $103
Front wheel ($18/$4/$20/$15) - $57
Sora derailleur (scrounged from friend) - $0
Bars - Off a dead bike - $10
Pedals - used - $5
---
Total = $205

So, counting all that sort of stuff as well adds $205. Still $315's not
bad for a sturdy fast Ergo equipped bike.

This is actually the first bike I've used with Ergo shifters. I've used
STI for about 11,000 miles, barcons for about 30,000, a couple hundred
miles on stem or DT shifters, a couple thousand with trigger shifters.

I'd have to say I like the Ergo quite a bit. I definitely prefer them
to Shimano STI, at the very least for the racheting front lever. Index
shifting for the front is a **** 'innovation'. For the rear is great
though.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
If Beethoven's Seventh Symphony is not by some means abridged, it will soon

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>> What's up with the handlebars being as high as the saddle? ;)

>:p
>
> After I read that I actually went and measured and I'll have you know
> it's a two inch drop from saddle to handlebar. Not a fashionable seven
> inches of drop I'll admit,

Hey, I never knew I was a trend-setter. 'n all I did was
to make a freebie bike that's really a little too short
for me, fit me (more or less.)

I was amused a couple of weeks ago when I parked my bike
beside one owned by an obviously casual sidewalk-rider
(and possible homeless bottle-collector,) and noted my
saddle was as high as his handlebar, and my handlebar
was as low as his saddle.

I desparately need one of those mini apehangers. One
that'll be accomodated by my current stem, which has that
hole right through it that serves as a front brake
cable stop. Speaking of stems, I also have a lovely,
full-on shortie, wide, clamshell-like stem that looks
sorta like a chrome fist, c/w at least half a dozen allen
screws around its copious circumference. With that I
could go with a more Xtreme ape-hanger.

Just thinking out loud.

cheers,
Tom