A bike of many hats...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chris Davies, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Hi all,

    After much deliberation, cajoling and (nearly) the threat of eviction, I
    regretfully have to part with my collection of bikes. They'll be listed on
    ebay at some point. I have:

    1 Dawes Galaxy (23", purple, lovely, bought it as a "taster" road bike and
    seriously bit, but has always been too big for me)
    1 Raleigh road bike (modern, not sure of heritage but steel and with a
    gorgeous Mavic/Ultegra wheelset - words like fatherless and child spring
    to mind)
    1 Claud butler road bike(Early 60s I think, needs work but I haven't got
    round to it, really light, has ultra thin chain/seatstays and gorgeous
    lugs, I won't list this until I've made it rideable)
    Couple of old MTBs (these have already found homes, I think)
    Various other bits.

    Needless to say, I am absoulutely gutted. My landlady says she is worried
    as she has bought a new car and doesn't want my bikes scratching it in the
    garage.

    Still, it's not all bad news. I have decided that if I am going to just
    have one bike, it will

    a) be another (broadly speaking) touring oriented frame, a bit smaller
    than my Galaxy for a more comfortable standover
    b) could get away with less luggage carrying potential - rear rack only is
    fine
    c) I could get away with smaller tyres - 700x28 is enough for me, but I
    want mudguards

    Ideally I would like a frame and forks only, as the Dawes has an excellent
    wheelset (only built a couple of months ago) and would like to build it up
    with these, as well as using the other bike parts.

    So it's shopping time...
    I'm going to be looking at lots of frames, but has anyone a suggestion on
    one to start with? I have seen these:

    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item2880.htm
    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item10182.htm

    The rear triangles would need spreading as they are only 130mm OLN and my
    rear hub is 135, on one I would need to buy calipers, but neither of these
    things are a problem, and the prices certainly seem very attractive. I am
    willing to spend more (would go up to about £800 if need be) but obviously
    would prefer not to, as they say if the cap fits.

    Obviously if anyone's interested in my bikes contact me off list. I'd like
    to see them go to good homes. )-:
    Also please get in touch if you have a nice touring/audax/cyclocross?
    frame that's going begging. (-:

    Thanks,

    Chris

    BTW I know I said yesterday if I were to have only one bike it would be an
    MTB, but I know specifically what I am looking for, and will still have
    occasional use of one if I need it.

    --
    |C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
    Remove the bars to contact me

    Tags:

  2. Chris Davies wrote:

    > Ideally I would like a frame and forks only, as the Dawes has an=20
    > excellent wheelset (only built a couple of months ago) and would like t=

    o=20
    > build it up with these, as well as using the other bike parts.
    >=20
    > So it's shopping time...
    > I'm going to be looking at lots of frames, but has anyone a suggestion =

    > on one to start with? I have seen these:
    >=20
    > http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item2880.htm
    > http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item10182.htm
    >=20
    > I am willing to spend more (would go up to about =A3800 if
    > need be) but obviously would prefer not to, as they say if the cap fits=

    =2E

    Go and see Chas Roberts. If you really only need frame and forks, try=20
    out an Audax 725 (=A3595) or 853 (=A3655). THe frame will be custom-built=
    to=20
    your measurements.

    I've had a Roberts 725 Audax with Campag Veloce kit for three years and=20
    8000 miles, and I still really love riding it.

    http://www.robertscycles.com/

    --=20
    Mark.
    http://tranchant.plus.com/

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 6/8/04 8:06 am, in article [email protected], "Chris
    Davies" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > After much deliberation, cajoling and (nearly) the threat of eviction, I
    > regretfully have to part with my collection of bikes. They'll be listed on
    > ebay at some point. I have:

    Why not just put your landlady on eBay instead? or find alternative
    accommodation?

    ...d

  4. David Cowie

    David Cowie Guest