A bike ride from hell

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by caycycle, Aug 7, 2009.

1. caycycle

caycycle New Member

I wonder if anyone would be interested in reading my account, entitled “A Coastal Catastrophe”, of a failed coastal tour that turned into a waking nightmare. It’s not all unrelieved gloom, there are moments of humour and great joy, but the abiding impression throughout is that the tale is headed for an inevitable climax of disaster.
    Please take a look at the 24 photos on the website, then click one of the links to the account itself and read the opening page. If you don’t feel like going any further, that’s OK. But I’d be honoured if someone somewhere felt moved to read it through, and any comments would be most welcome.
    A Coastal Catastrophe: by Pete Gibbs

Tags:

2. scuppy

scuppy New Member

It sounded like a real winter tour with all the miserable wind you described. Good quality gear like thermals is the key to good memories. No matter how wet I get, I am warm and once I'm in my tent and changed into my tent clothes, it doesn't matter how bad it is out. By the morning, the modern thermal, breathable, wicking clothes are only mildly damp and you are ready for more. Impossible attitude with cottons and cheap jackets.

I associate the cold, rain and wind with trips and my memories of trips is fun. The colder I am, the more I remember skiing and the excitement I associate with it. Some weather reminds me of rock climbing in my youth, and other triggers remind me of bush walking. My memories of outdoor activities is positive, I can't remember any 'disaster trip', and I've had serious crashes, ridden in major storms, gone hundreds of km off course, had badly damaged bikes and injuries. I've bailed out of rides too, less than a week from home. I've ridden on low rations for weeks at a time and run out of water in the Australian outback two days to the next town.

For all this, when I think back on those trips, I mostly remember the good bits. Positive memories aren't forced, I probably wouldn't keep touring if they were. I'm not trying to make a point other than I hope you can remember the good things more than the bad, otherwise, why do it.

3. caycycle

caycycle New Member

Wow, Scuppy, your experiences make mine sound like a picnic. Guess I was a bit of a whimp. It certainly seems I was ill-equipped as far as clothing is concerned. On a more positive note, I can tell you this in all honesty - sitting on the cliffs at Cape Wrath was probably the most contented moment of my life. As for the trip itself - I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Thanks for your very welcome comments.