A Bike Story That Sounds Farfetched

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Prometheus7, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Prometheus7

    Prometheus7 Guest

    I share this to show you just how stupid some people can be. Don't underestimate what some people
    will do for fun.

    I'm riding on a rural road, low traffic. It's flat and toward the end of my ride, so I'm riding
    around 18 mph, on the far right line. I don't want trouble from the car people, nor do I want a bad
    name for biking. Anyway, I hear the car coming up behind me. Nothing abnormal, I figure he's going
    to pass and go on. There is no oncoming traffic, and you can see for 1/2 or better.

    As the sound of the car is on me, I get the most incredible impact and stinging sensation on my
    butt. My eyes must have bugged out of my head 3 inches, tears and all. For the next 5 seconds, that
    seemed like forever, my mind says WOW, I haven't been spanked like that since I was a kid, if ever.
    I'm thankful I'm still upright and not in the ditch. Anger erupts into my brain as I see this Honda
    Civic pulling away from me with the outstretched arm and hand of the passenger lazily dangling out
    window. I'm sure he wanted me to see what he slapped me with. The mind doesn't work fast enough in
    that surprised state to get the license plate.

    I had always heard stories of people having close calls. I never thought it would happen to me.

    Tags:

  2. Papayahed1

    Papayahed1 Guest

    "Prometheus7" [email protected] wrote on 10-11-03:

    >As the sound of the car is on me, I get the most incredible impact and stinging sensation on my
    >butt. My eyes must have bugged out of my head 3 inches, tears and all. For the next 5 seconds, that
    >seemed like forever, my mind says WOW, I haven't been spanked like that since I was a kid, if ever.

    I bet there are several people who have experienced this. Sure is a surprise when it happens. My
    only solace was knowing because of their speed, his hand had to hurt at least as much as my butt.

  3. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I am a jelly donut. I am a jelly donut.
    1:07:38 AM 12 October 2003

  4. Johann S.

    Johann S. Guest

    Prometheus7 Said:

    > I share this to show you just how stupid some people can be. Don't underestimate what some people
    > will do for fun.

    Not exactly bike related, but the following happened to my dad. He (my Dad) had a car breakdown. So
    he called me to come and tow him, and meanwhle he sat by the side of the road. He was sitting in his
    car, with the door open. The stretch of road he was on, had very light traffic, and the speed limit
    was 120km/h. While he was sitting, the next minute an apple hit the door of his car, on the inside,
    right in front of his face, with a tremendous impact. There was a car going past at that exact
    moment, so you know where the apple came from.

    You can imagine an apple going at 120km/h. Should hurt plenty when it hits you.

    --

    QUIPd 1.02: (286 of 659) -> The more a man knows himself, the less he says about it.
    ##2233 #'Mandrake Linux.'

  5. William Blum

    William Blum Guest

    "Johann S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... While he was sitting, the
    > next minute an apple hit the door of his car, on the inside, right in front of his face, with a
    > tremendous impact. There was a car going past at that exact moment, so you know where the apple
    > came from.
    >
    > You can imagine an apple going at 120km/h. Should hurt plenty when it hits you.

    I had something similar happen to me while parked near a highway, waiting for an approaching train.

    Just sitting there, door open, minding my own business--- *thud*. Various bits of food related
    debris hit the inside of my open car door. (I'm parked ~30 feet off the road, in a gravel
    parking lot.)

    By the time I realized what had happened, my passenger (an off duty state trooper) was already
    speed-dialing the local state police dispatcher.

  6. Prometheus7 <[email protected]> wrote:

    : As the sound of the car is on me, I get the most incredible impact and stinging sensation on my
    : butt. My eyes must have bugged out of my head 3 inches, tears and all. For the next 5 seconds,
    : that seemed like forever, my mind says WOW, I haven't been spanked like that since I was a kid, if
    : ever. I'm thankful I'm still upright and not in the ditch. Anger erupts into my brain as I see
    : this Honda Civic pulling away from me with the outstretched arm and hand of the passenger lazily
    : dangling out window. I'm sure he wanted me to see what he slapped me with. The mind doesn't work
    : fast enough in that surprised state to get the license plate.

  7. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Prometheus7 wrote:

    > I share this to show you just how stupid some people can be. Don't underestimate what some people
    > will do for fun.
    >
    > I'm riding on a rural road, low traffic. It's flat and toward the end of my ride, so I'm riding
    > around 18 mph, on the far right line. I don't want trouble from the car people, nor do I want a
    > bad name for biking. Anyway, I hear the car coming up behind me. Nothing abnormal, I figure he's
    > going to pass and go on. There is no oncoming traffic, and you can see for 1/2 or better.
    >
    > As the sound of the car is on me, I get the most incredible impact and stinging sensation on my
    > butt. My eyes must have bugged out of my head 3 inches, tears and all. For the next 5 seconds,
    > that seemed like forever, my mind says WOW, I haven't been spanked like that since I was a kid, if
    > ever. I'm thankful I'm still upright and not in the ditch. Anger erupts into my brain as I see
    > this Honda Civic pulling away from me with the outstretched arm and hand of the passenger lazily
    > dangling out window. I'm sure he wanted me to see what he slapped me with. The mind doesn't work
    > fast enough in that surprised state to get the license plate.

    That happened to my sister-in-law on a bike ride in the mountains. She remembers the slap on the
    butt and then waking up in the hospital. As long as she was going to be laid up with broken and
    bruised body parts for a while she decided to have her boobs done, but that's another story.

    > I had always heard stories of people having close calls. I never thought it would happen to me.

    I can see why people think about carrying guns while they ride. The temptation to blow the jerk's
    head (or hand) off would be nearly irresistible.

    --
    Cheers, Bev oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Will give investment advice for food.

  8. Arlo

    Arlo Guest

    The Real Bev <[email protected]> wrote in news:3F8A0890.AD9C6EB5 @myrealbox.com:

    > As long as she was going to be laid up with broken and bruised body parts for a while she decided
    > to have her boobs done, but that's another story.

    Wow, now *that* is taking advantage of down time!

  9. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    arlo wrote:

    > The Real Bev <[email protected]> wrote in news:3F8A0890.AD9C6EB5 @myrealbox.com:
    >
    > > As long as she was going to be laid up with broken and bruised body parts for a while she
    > > decided to have her boobs done, but that's another story.
    >
    > Wow, now *that* is taking advantage of down time!

    I thought so too. She had them taken out five years or so later -- they got hard as rocks.

    --
    Ch rs, B v
    =======================================

  10. moonshdw

    moonshdw Guest

    Johann S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > next minute an apple hit the door of his car, on the inside, right in front of his face, with a
    > tremendous impact. There was a car going past at that exact moment, so you know where the apple
    > came from.

    > You can imagine an apple going at 120km/h. Should hurt plenty when it hits you.

    Many years ago I went on a hike with some friends, then to work for the evening. Late that night
    I was riding home along a limited-access highway, speed limit 55 mph, when a passing <insert your
    favorite disgusting body part here> tossed a beer bottle at me. Incredibly fortunate that for the
    one and only time ever, I was wearing a full frame backpack while riding. I still have the dented
    cook pot that the bottle hit.