A bit of off-road........

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martin Bulmer, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Whilst riding along a narrow unfenced road today, the likes of which I would think twice about using
    in a car, I encountered a car transporter coming the other way. He could have driven onto the verge,
    but he felt that it would be more suitable if I did, anyway, he wanted to stop and ask me for
    directions, being a little lost. I didn't stop, but I gave him directions using a combination of
    monosyllables and sign language. Sadly, I fear he will be anatomically incapable of complying, but
    if he got the transporter into that little lane, there's just a chance that he may be able to put it
    where I suggested.

    --

    Martin Bulmer

    Pie Conservation Threat

    Tags:

  2. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > Sadly, I fear he will be anatomically incapable of complying, but if he
    got
    > the transporter into that little lane, there's just a chance that he may
    be
    > able to put it where I suggested.

    Oh humm another cycling apostle of the absurd. It's absurd to assume that such acts foster goodwill
    towards cyclists and that indefinite immunity from violence inflicted by an aggrieved motorist is
    guaranteed.

    Can't uk.rec.cycling.knobheads be established for the minority who revel in exchanging tales of the
    aggrieved persecuted holders of the torch for cycling's non-existing future should their rediculous
    mindset become the norm? At least they'll be out of harms way :)

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Whilst riding along a narrow unfenced road today, the likes of which I
    would
    > think twice about using in a car, I encountered a car transporter coming
    the
    > other way. He could have driven onto the verge, but he felt that it would
    be
    > more suitable if I did, anyway, he wanted to stop and ask me for
    directions,
    > being a little lost. I didn't stop, but I gave him directions using a combination of monosyllables
    > and sign language. Sadly, I fear he will be anatomically incapable of complying, but if he
    got
    > the transporter into that little lane, there's just a chance that he may
    be
    > able to put it where I suggested.

    Where was the harm in answering (assuming you could) his question? Have you never taken a wrong
    turning and got yourself lost or confused in a strange place?

  4. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Martin Bulmer wrote:
    > Whilst riding along a narrow unfenced road today, the likes of which I would think twice about
    > using in a car, I encountered a car transporter coming the other way. He could have driven onto
    > the verge, but he felt that it would be more suitable if I did, anyway, he wanted to stop and ask
    > me for directions, being a little lost. I didn't stop, but I gave him directions using a
    > combination of monosyllables and sign language. Sadly, I fear he will be anatomically incapable of
    > complying, but if he got the transporter into that little lane, there's just a chance that he may
    > be able to put it where I suggested.

    So, now he thinks cyclists are arrogant unhelpful b*stards who never get lost or take a
    wrong turning?

    Thank you for making the roads safer for all the rest of us.

    Tim

  5. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Martin Bulmer must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Whilst riding along a narrow unfenced road today, the likes of which I would think twice about
    > using in a car, I encountered a car transporter coming the other way. He could have driven onto
    > the verge, but he felt that it would be more suitable if I did, anyway, he wanted to stop and ask
    > me for directions, being a little lost. I didn't stop, but I gave him directions using a
    > combination of monosyllables and sign language. Sadly, I fear he will be anatomically incapable of
    > complying, but if he got the transporter into that little lane, there's just a chance that he may
    > be able to put it where I suggested.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Martin Bulmer
    >
    > Pie Conservation Threat

    That will teach him for getting lost, hehe. Actually no, it will teach him that cyclists are stupid
    and ignorant to the needs of others. Martin, your paranoia about all non cyclists being the enemy
    needs to go on the therapy list.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  6. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Actually no, it will teach him that cyclists are stupid and ignorant to the needs of others.

    Much like someone that is stupid and ignorant to the needs of others and insists on using a vehicle
    on a road too narrrow for it and forces other vehicles off , is that the sort of thing you mean?

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  7. Ian

    Ian Guest

    marc must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Actually no, it will teach him that cyclists are stupid and ignorant to the needs of others.
    >
    > Much like someone that is stupid and ignorant to the needs of others and insists on using a
    > vehicle on a road too narrrow for it and forces other vehicles off , is that the sort of thing
    > you mean?

    Marc, are you a troll? The OP states the guy in the large vehicle was in need of directions, i.e.
    HE WAS LOST!

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> Actually no, it will teach him that cyclists are stupid and ignorant to the needs of others.
    > >
    > > Much like someone that is stupid and ignorant to the needs of others and insists on using a
    > > vehicle on a road too narrrow for it and forces other vehicles off , is that the sort of thing
    > > you mean?
    > >
    > Marc, are you a troll? The OP states the guy in the large vehicle was in need of directions, i.e.
    > HE WAS LOST

    " a narrow unfenced road today, the likes of which I would think twice about using in a car, I
    encountered a car transporter coming the other way. He could have driven onto the verge, but he felt
    that it would be more suitable if I did,"

    Lost or not he doesn't sound like the most considerate of drivers, so why should he expect
    consideration from other road users?

    I too have given up giving directions to lorry drivers whos idea of requesting help is " Oy mate ,
    how do I get to ......? " with no thought of a please or thank you. Do they consider me "stupid and
    ignorant " when I tell them that I would have answered if asked politely, I don't know or care,
    consideration and politeness is a two way street, especially when it's you that wants something from
    the other person.

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  9. Ian

    Ian Guest

    marc must be edykated coz e writed:

    > requesting help is " Oy mate , how do I get to ......? " with no thought of a please or thank you.
    > Do they consider me "stupid and ignorant " when I tell them that I would have answered if asked
    > politely, I don't know or care, consideration and politeness is a two way street, especially when
    > it's you that wants something from the other person.

    My apologies Marc, you were obviously present at this encounter, hence your ability to add
    to the OP.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  10. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > requesting help is " Oy mate , how do I get to ......? " with no thought of a please or thank
    > > you. Do they consider me "stupid and ignorant " when I tell them that I would have answered if
    > > asked politely, I don't know or care, consideration and politeness is a two way street,
    > > especially when it's you that wants something from the other person.
    > >
    > My apologies Marc, you were obviously present at this encounter, hence your ability to add
    > to the OP.

    Neither of us were there ,so we have to rely on the OPs text, you choose to focus only on the part
    that described the the fact that the lorry driver was asking for directions, I also considered the
    description of his actions. Your snipping above is disengenous.

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  11. > Oh humm another cycling apostle of the absurd. It's absurd to assume that such acts foster
    > goodwill towards cyclists and that indefinite immunity from violence inflicted by an aggrieved
    > motorist is guaranteed.

    I think what Mr. Verbose is trying to say is that you could have been a little nicer to the
    guy, cos' the next cyclist he sees, he will think of you and the abuse/advice you gave him.
    What goes around.

  12. Ian

    Ian Guest

    marc must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> requesting help is " Oy mate , how do I get to ......? " with no thought of a please or thank
    >>> you. Do they consider me "stupid and ignorant " when I tell them that I would have answered if
    >>> asked politely, I don't know or care, consideration and politeness is a two way street,
    >>> especially when it's you that wants something from the other person.
    >>>
    >> My apologies Marc, you were obviously present at this encounter, hence your ability to add to
    >> the OP.
    >
    > Neither of us were there ,so we have to rely on the OPs text, you choose to focus only on the part
    > that described the the fact that the lorry driver was asking for directions, I also considered the
    > description of his actions. Your snipping above is disengenous.
    The fact that the guy was lost would be enough for me to offer assistance, I do not need people to
    be polite in order for me to be polite, I choose to be what I am because of what I feel is right
    rather than expecting reward for my actions, if help was offered then the truck driver would have
    been left with the impression that cyclists are helpful.

    As far as perceptions of the situation are concerned, it would be very sad if everyone needs first
    to get politeness from others before they are polite themselves.If someone does not say please to
    me, who am I to judge them? Maybe they were brought up differently to me, I prefer to lead by
    example rather than treat people with differing ideals as scum.

    As for the rights and wrongs of snipping and adding to posts, how about we add the obvious into your
    you think it is fine to run my children down because you refuse to accept you have a problem, so it
    has only happened once in X years, so what? I guarantee if you did knock down one of my children
    then say "sorry there was a spider in the car, I knew I was terrified of them and have crashed
    before because of it but I decided it wasn't really a problem, so tough your child is dead, one of
    those things", guess what I would do? That's right, I would break every bone in your body and leave
    you paralysed for life to contemplate your actions. But by your argument that would be fair.

    Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1g1fddy.qpgn4dtora68N%[email protected]...

    > > Marc, are you a troll? The OP states the guy in the large vehicle was in need of directions,
    > > i.e. HE WAS LOST
    >
    > " a narrow unfenced road today, the likes of which I would think twice about using in a car, I
    > encountered a car transporter coming the other way. He could have driven onto the verge, but he
    > felt that it would be more suitable if I did,"
    >
    > Lost or not he doesn't sound like the most considerate of drivers, so why should he expect
    > consideration from other road users?

    Maybe he wasn't -- or maybe he was worried that he might get bogged down if he moved off the tarmac
    -- even if there was relatively little.

    Whatever, he requested some help which was refused and he was then verbally abused.

    Yes -- a clear victory for the forces of cycling :~(

  14. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> My apologies Marc, you were obviously present at this encounter, hence your ability to add to
    > >> the OP.
    > >
    > > Neither of us were there ,so we have to rely on the OPs text, you choose to focus only on the
    > > part that described the the fact that the lorry driver was asking for directions, I also
    > > considered the description of his actions. Your snipping above is disengenous.
    > The fact that the guy was lost would be enough for me to offer assistance,

    Even after being forced off the road? Your either a better man than the majority of people in the
    world or deluding yourself.

    > I do not need people to be polite in order for me to be polite,

    Neither do I , but equally I find no need to be polite to people who aren't.

    > I choose to be what I am because of what I feel is right rather than expecting reward for my
    > actions,

    And in the example of a cyclist forced off the road by another road user what do you consider
    to be right?

    > if help was offered then the truck driver would have been left with the impression that cyclists
    > are helpful.

    Or he could have been left wiht the impression that he can bully cyclists and still get help from
    them anyway, neither of us know or will ever know.

    > As far as perceptions of the situation are concerned, it would be very sad if everyone needs first
    > to get politeness from others before they are polite themselves. If someone does not say please to
    > me, who am I to judge them? Maybe they were brought up differently to me, I prefer to lead by
    > example rather than treat people with differing ideals as scum.
    >
    > As for the rights and wrongs of snipping and adding to posts, how about we add the obvious into
    > your previous post about crashing due to arachnophobia?

    How about we try and keep seperate posts and threads seperate and not try and add the "obvious" that
    is anything but .

    > We could safely say according to your rules that you think it is fine to run my children down
    > because you refuse to accept you have a problem, so it has only happened once in X years, so what?

    You - not we- could but it woudn't be safe and you would be wrong.

    >I guarantee if you did knock down one of my children then say "sorry there was a spider in the car,
    >I knew I was terrified of them and have crashed before because of it but I decided it wasn't really
    >a problem, so tough your child is dead, one of those things", guess what I would do? That's right,
    >I would break every bone in your body and leave you paralysed for life to contemplate your actions.
    >But by your argument that would be fair.

    Yes, if anyone ( including me) was so crass as to use the words above I would consider your actions
    to be fair.

    > Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

    Of inconsiderate drivers as well ?

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  15. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  16. Ian

    Ian Guest

    marc must be edykated coz e writed:

    >> Of course you are entitled to your opinion.
    >
    > Of inconsiderate drivers as well ?

    Of course.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  17. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> Of course you are entitled to your opinion.
    > >
    > > Of inconsiderate drivers as well ?
    > >
    > Of course.

    Two questions asked, one answered and the rest convieniently snipped, again.

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  18. Ian

    Ian Guest

    marc must be edykated coz e writed:

    >>> Of inconsiderate drivers as well ?
    >>>
    >> Of course.
    >
    > Two questions asked, one answered and the rest convieniently snipped, again.

    Sorry, I thought your first question was rhetorical, as I was not being forced off the road
    maliciously then yes,I would still help. The truck driver probably did not take to the verge in case
    he ran into a ditch he could not see.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  19. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry, I thought your first question was rhetorical, as I was not being forced off the road
    > maliciously then yes,I would still help. The truck driver probably did not take to the verge in
    > case he ran into a ditch he could not see.

    You are obviously a warm and forgiving person ,able to see the good in almost everyone, you have my
    admiration.

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  20. Ian

    Ian Guest

    marc must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, I thought your first question was rhetorical, as I was not being forced off the road
    >> maliciously then yes,I would still help. The truck driver probably did not take to the verge in
    >> case he ran into a ditch he could not see.
    >
    > You are obviously a warm and forgiving person ,able to see the good in almost everyone, you have
    > my admiration.

    Marc, I always prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, it makes me feel good, most people
    have the ability to do good or bad and I like to think that showing an example has some effect even
    if only very small effect.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk