A Boy's First Century

DCWD

Aug 5, 2005
So I finally rode 100 miles yesterday. I've been working up to this all through September - riding 100miles each weekend (some on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday = 100miles) shifting the weight toward longer and longer portion on Sundays. I'm feeling OK, knees hurt a bit, which is new, but otherwise OK. I'm thinking I'll get a saddle with a center cut-out before trying it again. I stopped to rest at about 70miles and actually fell asleep for a half hour. Totally unconcious. I woke up, shook it off, got back on the bike and finished up. Took me 6hours and 13 minutes of riding. Anyway, I just had to share. Feeling pretty good for doing it.

DCWD said:
So I finally rode 100 miles yesterday. I've been working up to this all through September - riding 100miles each weekend (some on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday = 100miles) shifting the weight toward longer and longer portion on Sundays. I'm feeling OK, knees hurt a bit, which is new, but otherwise OK. I'm thinking I'll get a saddle with a center cut-out before trying it again. I stopped to rest at about 70miles and actually fell asleep for a half hour. Totally unconcious. I woke up, shook it off, got back on the bike and finished up. Took me 6hours and 13 minutes of riding. Anyway, I just had to share. Feeling pretty good for doing it.
Bloody well done.

I guess this what the swamy said was in my future. Good run, keep up the painstaking work. :D
DCWD said:

LIKESBIKES716 said:
I guess this what the swamy said was in my future. Good run, keep up the painstaking work. :D
It is more than I can do in one sitting ... well done my boy!!

Nicely done. I too did my first century (100M) this year. took me 6 hrs 20 min.

I'm already scheduled for 3 next season. Lots of training to do and about 30 lbs to loose.

Tech9 said:
Nicely done. I too did my first century (100M) this year. took me 6 hrs 20 min.

I'm already scheduled for 3 next season. Lots of training to do and about 30 lbs to loose.
My first thoughts were that I didn't need to ever do it again - once was enough. Two days later and I'm already thinking about how many times I can do it next year. Definately want road shoes and a different saddle... Also, I'll eat more often and schedule a massage later that afternoon. And maybe I'll pick days without the 20mph wind. My route took me over a bridge on the Potomac a couple times and I could barely keep the bike upright because of the wind. Dropping another 10-15lbs would help, too, I'm sure. My bike performed wonderfully. Not so much as an extra squeek or a flat tire.

How 'bout your ride? What hurt the most when you finally got off?

I had read that durring miles 70 - 80 you mentaly are done. I was good throught the whole ride, until I saw my wife at mile 88. Then my body said enough. I knew that I was going to be fighting a 15 - 20 Mile head wind for the next 8 Miles with a hill to climb.

I made it through. It was my shoulders and rear that hurt the most. I made sure that I took some advil at the begining of the ride and at the half way mark. My butt hurt, but that's part of the century experiance.

Tech9 said:
I had read that durring miles 70 - 80 you mentaly are done.
That's around when I thought most seriously of quitting. Then I just decided to slow down and make it to the end no matter how long it took. I called friends to cancel plans and told my wife to expect me late. Then I got back on the bike and didn't look back.

Tech9 said:
It was my shoulders and rear that hurt the most. I made sure that I took some advil at the begining of the ride and at the half way mark. My butt hurt, but that's part of the century experiance.
My rear hurt the most, in retrospect. My knees had never been so sore and the motion of going down the stairs was the worst. No matter how much pain I'm feeling, I stick to vitamin E and coffee for muscle recovery (of course with loads of water or maybe a sports/recovery drink. The pain lasts longer but I've read that anti-inflamatories inhibit muscular development and I refuse to put in that much effort only to have any portion of it be for naught. It's only once kept me from riding the next day. ...so I took some Advil and went for a ride later on. I don't know if I'll stick to this regimen when I do more focused training (sprint intervals, etc) next year.

DCWD said:
Congrats on the first century.:) I am currently training to do my first one, Nov 19, El Tour de Tucson, and I just completed my first metric century last weekend. I know the feeling of accomplishment I feel after the metric, I've only been riding since August, and I can't wait till the full century.
Like you, I am looking forward to how many I can do next year, and I haven't even completed my first one yet.:eek:

cali-largeguy said:
Congrats on the first century.:) I am currently training to do my first one, Nov 19, El Tour de Tucson, and I just completed my first metric century last weekend. I know the feeling of accomplishment I feel after the metric, I've only been riding since August, and I can't wait till the full century.
Like you, I am looking forward to how many I can do next year, and I haven't even completed my first one yet.:eek:
I think that if you can do a metric then you can do an English. During my build-up I was going longer and longer on Sundays until one morning I woke up and realized that since I hadn't ridden on Friday, I needed 109km to reach my goal for the weekend. It wasn't until a week later that I realized that I had ridden the metric. The next weekend I'm sure I could have gone the full 160km if I had wanted to. So I'm pretty well convinced that half the game is 90% mental. ...if you know what I mean. IMO, the trick is to just not back down. You set the goal and then you execute the plan. Suffer all you want, just don't stop peddaling.

DCWD said:
oh.........very well