A Brake Question ... (and a rant... could not help myself)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ajames54, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    Last year I added Brifters (boy I hate these stupid names) to my 7-speed D/A bike... because of the
    vintage of the components I also had to change to dual -pivot brakes... 600 Ultegra in this case.

    These brakes use cartridges ... AND THEY SUCK HUGE! -any little bit of water and they leave black
    skack all over everywhere... -They last no time at all, I'm about change them again for the second
    time in 14 months. -my rims are getting really chewed up... (I noticed that this weekend)

    I hated the compound when it arrived on my Mountain Bike but I was able to find Kool-Stop pads that
    I don't loath... I can't find any alternative for my road bike... I've got the set of pads from the
    old brakes and I'm going to try and fit them. If that does not work does anyone have an alternative?

    Tags:

  2. > I hated the compound when it arrived on my Mountain Bike but I was able to find Kool-Stop pads
    > that I don't loath... I can't find any alternative for my road bike... I've got the set of pads
    > from the old brakes and I'm going to try and fit them. If that does not work does anyone have an
    > alternative?

    KoolStop makes road bike cartridge pads as well; I'd suggest the salmon-colored ones.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. A shy person wrote wrote:

    > Last year I added Brifters (boy I hate these stupid names) to my 7-speed D/A bike...

    If you don't like that term, why use it?

    > because of the vintage of the components I also had to change to dual -pivot brakes... 600 Ultegra
    > in this case.

    Somebody gave you a bum steer. your brake/shifters would have worked fine with your old
    Dura-ace calipers.

    > These brakes use cartridges ... AND THEY SUCK HUGE! -any little bit of water and they leave black
    > skack all over everywhere... -They last no time at all, I'm about change them again for the second
    > time in 14 months. -my rims are getting really chewed up... (I noticed that this weekend)
    >
    > I hated the compound when it arrived on my Mountain Bike but I was able to find Kool-Stop pads
    > that I don't loath... I can't find any alternative for my road bike... I've got the set of pads
    > from the old brakes and I'm going to try and fit them. If that does not work does anyone have an
    > alternative?

    Kool Stop makes inexpensive replacement cartridges for these from their special salmon
    colored material.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#dura

    Sheldon "Insert Nickname Here" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | If you have ties to Greater Boston, you might | enjoy a classic reproduction street map: |
    | http://communityheritagemaps.com |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

    >Last year I added Brifters (boy I hate these stupid names) to my 7-speed D/A bike... because of the
    >vintage of the components I also had to change to dual -pivot brakes... 600 Ultegra in this case.

    Huh? Why did you have to change your brakes?

    >These brakes use cartridges ... AND THEY SUCK HUGE! -any little bit of water and they leave black
    >skack all over everywhere... -They last no time at all, I'm about change them again for the second
    >time in 14 months. -my rims are getting really chewed up... (I noticed that this weekend) I hated
    >the compound when it arrived on my Mountain Bike but I was able to find Kool-Stop pads that I don't
    >loath... I can't find any alternative for my road bike... I've got the set of pads from the old
    >brakes and I'm going to try and fit them. If that does not work does anyone have an alternative?

    If you still have your old brakes, put them back on your bike. You might also want to try to get a
    set of kool stop slamon pads.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:09:52 -0400, ajames54 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Last year I added Brifters (boy I hate these stupid names) to my 7-speed D/A bike... because of the
    >vintage of the components I also had to change to dual -pivot brakes... 600 Ultegra in this case.
    >
    >These brakes use cartridges ... AND THEY SUCK HUGE! -any little bit of water and they leave black
    >skack all over everywhere... -They last no time at all, I'm about change them again for the second
    >time in 14 months. -my rims are getting really chewed up... (I noticed that this weekend)
    >
    >I hated the compound when it arrived on my Mountain Bike but I was able to find Kool-Stop pads that
    >I don't loath... I can't find any alternative for my road bike... I've got the set of pads from the
    >old brakes and I'm going to try and fit them. If that does not work does anyone have an
    >alternative?

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

  6. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:09:52 -0400, ajames54 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Last year I added Brifters (boy I hate these stupid names) to my 7-speed D/A bike... because of the
    >vintage of the components I also had to change to dual -pivot brakes... 600 Ultegra in this case.

    Thanks all for the responses... I'll hit the phone book trying to find the Kool-stops...

    I had been told with great authority that the STI leavers would not pull as much cable as the old
    ones, not enough to give good braking on the single pivot brakes I had. Ah Well.