A 'Campy says' question.....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by J. Price, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth for a
    long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.

    Tags:

  2. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    [email protected] (J. Price) writes:

    > Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth for
    > a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.

    Chain will possibly be slack in the small-small combination, so don't do that. Otherwise I can't
    think of a reason not to use an 11.

  3. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (J. Price) writes:
    >
    > > Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth
    > > for a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.
    >
    > Chain will possibly be slack in the small-small combination, so don't do that. Otherwise I can't
    > think of a reason not to use an 11.

    .........Well thanks,but I know about chain wrap and how to size a chain for given chainring/cog
    combinations. I'm sure that is not the issue.

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    [email protected] (J. Price) writes:

    > Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... >
    >> [email protected] (J. Price) writes:
    >>
    >> > Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth
    >> > for a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.
    >>
    >> Chain will possibly be slack in the small-small combination, so don't do that. Otherwise I can't
    >> think of a reason not to use an
    >> 11.
    >
    > .........Well thanks,but I know about chain wrap and how to size a chain for given chainring/cog
    > combinations. I'm sure that is not the issue.

    I can't think that there is another issue. Are you planning on using it with a triple? I presume
    that Campy was planning on that, and that you were planning on a bib-big combination of 53 x 26 or
    something. So if the chain is long enough for that, it may be too long for the granny - 11
    combination. After all, this isn't a derailleur Campy intends for touring- the call it a "racing
    triple" after all...

    How much difference can 1 tooth make, anyway? Go for it.

  5. Robert Brown

    Robert Brown Guest

    Tim McNamara wrote:

    > [email protected] (J. Price) writes:
    >
    > > Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > > Blue.local>... >

    ---8<---

    ---8<-----

    > How much difference can 1 tooth make, anyway? Go for it.

    The distance between top edge of jockey wheel and the 11 tooth cog will be slightly greater,
    compared with a larger cog. On indexed shifting this might become an issue since it will be harder
    for the DR to get the chain to leave the 11T and go to the next. On an older chain, it could be that
    you will not get a shift. Only way is to try, though, and the price of an outer cog is pretty low.

    One caveat - I myself have never had to solve this problem, so take the above as a guess only. My
    way of avoiding all this is having a 14T as my smallest cog, which makes my shifting in that area
    very crisp and quick indeed.

    /Robert

  6. Bimemn-<< Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13
    teeth for a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? >><BR><BR>

    drum roll........

    nuthin'...nor sure where campagnolo got this 12t min thing but like a lot of what they and others
    that spout the 'company line', it just ain't true. use that 11-23 on that medium or long cage,
    triple/double/Tyler crank equipped Campagnolo 10s system and it'll work jus' fine..

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    J. Price wrote:
    > Acording to campy, the minimum cog for a record/chorus medium cage RD is 12 teeth and 13 teeth for
    > a long cage. So, what happens if I run either with an 11 cog? TIA.

    It will shift. But the medium doesn't track as closely as the short cage version.